Swinger (Sven / Cooterfinger)

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

What cloulor should I do it?

Shell Pink with White Guard
48%
Sonic Blue with White Guard
8%
Sonic Blue with Red Tortoise Shell Guard Guard
8%
Brown (walnut) with Red Tortoise Shell Guard
12%
Green (Dark sherwood?) with Red Tortoise Shell Guard
16%
Sloan
8%

Total votes: 25
DasBeef

Swinger (Sven / Cooterfinger)

Post by DasBeef »

So back in Oct 2012 I won a Swinger body from Sven (made by Cooterfinger) when he did a little competition for members who voted on something. Since then I have been sitting on it waiting to get a short scale neck. I finally scored a replacement Jaguar neck, B&B that I want to fit on it. I'm awaiting a response from my guitar guy (who I'm going to get to do most of the work), but the neck is a little fat for the neck pocket. Is this normal? Should I have the neck pocket widened? Or the neck thinned down? Or have I down right bought the wrong neck for this body? (I'm super novice at this. Please be gentle)
Also I'd like the classic bridge on this like the Musicmasters and Swingers had. Any idea where to get one at a reasonable price? EU preferable.
And how the hell do I know which tuners to buy?
Anyway, any pointers or advice welcome. I'm hoping to turn this into an awesome guitar.

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

If it's just a little off, my guess is the homemade body probably was made on the side of caution for fitment. Easier to sand out a too-snug neck pocket than it is to replace wood if there's a gap. Also an unfinished body will be more prone to shrinking or expanding slightly with humidity changes so keep that in mind.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Where did you get that neck?
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
cooter

Post by cooter »

If it's really close then just sand equally on each side of the neck pocket until it slides down into place.
Necks have standard heel sizes but they don't take into account for the finish on a neck. Some finishes are thicker than others.
My Swinger neck pock templates were made from an original 22.5" scale Fender neck. The heel could be slightly narrower.
If you could get some up close pics I might be able to help a little better.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
finboy

Post by finboy »

jcyphe wrote:Where did you get that neck?
This, would love to get one
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Also as for color vote I'd go for something less often done, like inca silver or burgandy mist.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

oh that's gonna be rad!
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
DasBeef

Post by DasBeef »

jcyphe wrote:Where did you get that neck?
eBay
cooterfinger wrote:If it's really close then just sand equally on each side of the neck pocket until it slides down into place.
Necks have standard heel sizes but they don't take into account for the finish on a neck. Some finishes are thicker than others.
My Swinger neck pock templates were made from an original 22.5" scale Fender neck. The heel could be slightly narrower.
So it seems large by a couple of mm. Probably two or three. What pics exactly, and how would you like them done?
Currently the neck does not fit in the pocket plain and simple.
DasBeef

Post by DasBeef »

Also my guitar guy has go back to me with a possible matching headstock if that sways anyones colour choice. The Burgundy Mist call is great!

Thanks for the replies so far. Really hoping to make this the best it can be.
cooter

Post by cooter »

DasBeef wrote:
cooterfinger wrote:If it's really close then just sand equally on each side of the neck pocket until it slides down into place.
So it seems large by a couple of mm. Probably two or three. What pics exactly, and how would you like them done?
Currently the neck does not fit in the pocket plain and simple.
If it's that much the neck pocket should probably be routed wider. Wish you were stateside so I could fix it for you. It wouldn't take 5 minutes.
But shipping it here wouldn't be feasible.
You might check with Addam.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
NickS

Post by NickS »

To me it's not a Swinger without a pointy head.
Mine:

But maybe yours will have that "Pawn Shop" vibe.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

NickS wrote:To me it's not a Swinger without a pointy head.
Mine:

I wanted to vote for shell pink, but I voted sonic blue instead because you put it up there twice. I figured that color must be speaking to you. I love the blocks! Is your guitar guy going to reshape the head stock like NickS pic?
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
DasBeef

Post by DasBeef »

speedfish wrote:
NickS wrote:To me it's not a Swinger without a pointy head.
Mine:

I wanted to vote for shell pink, but I voted sonic blue instead because you put it up there twice. I figured that color must be speaking to you. I love the blocks! Is your guitar guy going to reshape the head stock like NickS pic?
My preference is actually pink, green then brown. I'm sort of leaning toward pink. Not going to reshape the headstock. Might move the neck to another guitar one day. Just keen to get this up and running.
DasBeef

Post by DasBeef »

Anyone any idea where I could get machine heads that look period correct for this in the UK?
I got a set of 6 in a row Klusons with the plastic, but they don't fit.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Are the bushings just too small for the holes? They sell conversion bushings, if that's what the problem is I'd search for those.
DasBeef

Post by DasBeef »

The 6 in a row is too short. Just doesn't line up. Think I need 6 individuals.
DasBeef

Post by DasBeef »

I think I now have everything to make this happen. Time to get in touch with my guitar guy, and to make this happen....
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

What kind of bridge did you end up with? Looks like a Toronado?
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

did you get the neck pocket sorted?
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Did you settle on a colour?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.