Recording/tracking a double A-side - costs?

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

gusman2x

Recording/tracking a double A-side - costs?

Post by gusman2x »

We want to track two new songs for a double a side single. We'll do a live recording, but prob over dub the guitars, and do the vocals also. We'll do the producing/mixing ourselves.

We know the songs well, so think we can get it all done in about 12-16 hours.

What would you guys expect to pay?
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
howdo3313

Post by howdo3313 »

Dunno if this helps, but one of the major studios in Canada can be gotten for $1000/day with engineer.
That being said I've done 2 records for majors at another studio in Toronto that usually runs for $800/day w engineer. And I've had the same studio offered to me for $400/day.

Sorry for referencing studios in Canada...I haven't recorded in the UK or Europe...yet;)

I believe 400GBP is about $900CND.

Oh and these studios I am referencing cut to 2" tape.

Best of luck...tracking live is thee best. So much fun when you got the players to execute it.

:D
-Do
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Our rehearsal place/dudes have offered 400 CAN$. All my cheap ass band mates are bitchin'

There's FIVE OF US!!!!
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
howdo3313

Post by howdo3313 »

About 200GBP, yeah? Not bad...dunno what they're using for gear...Daw vs tape or a combo of the two...and what kind of outboard gear they have...and the quality(skill set) of their engineer.
-Do
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Depending on how long you want to spend on things, I'd suggest three days would be fine to record and mix two songs, probably even two at a push. Wouldn't recommend mixing it yourselves, not because I doubt your abilities but because I think it's often difficult to mix something that you haven't recorded yourself. Small-ish studios that I'm aware of can charge anywhere from £100-300 per day. Then for mastering I'd say you're looking at £50-100 or so.

We recorded the Pink Rick 7" here at Greenmount Studios. They usually charge £200 a day, track pretty much everything live and get some amazing drum sounds. I'm also slightly biased because my housemate works there, but I was a big fan of Greenmount before I even knew Rob.

Some great stuff recorded there:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

And a very reasonably-priced mastering engineer I would recommend is Tom Woodhead at Hippocratic Mastering. He did the Pink Rick - Different Species tape and a bunch of other cool stuff.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

OR you could come to CHUNK and I could record you for dirt cheap...

Here's a thing I did recently.