changing strings

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

how often do you change your strings?

everytime i play
No votes
every week
2%
every two weeks
6%
every three weeks
6%
once a month
17%
it's been a while
25%
who changes strings? that's for wusses!
6%
whenever I notice that they are going flat
38%

Total votes: 48
BYOB Kenobi

Post by BYOB Kenobi »

Every 2 weeks is about right for me, or when the intonation starts going out, and ofcourse, couple days before a show
R.A.M.O.N.E.S
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I used to change strings on my Jazzy (main live geet) before every show, but we started playing out and about a lot more- no point in pulling off newish strings for the principle of it. I don't play the Jazzy that much at home either and I use the Strat at band practise, so strings last a good while.

Soooooooo, once a month at the moment.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

yeah, in thinking about it, i should've had options based on usage rather than time. a couple of my guitars are lucky to get restrung once a year, but they also see almost that little playing time. whichever are in the main rotation (the jag and toronado are at this point) will get re-strung quite often depending on how much we play. i haven't broken a string on stage in years, and i aim to keep it that way.
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

I've broken strings on my Tele quite a few times live, even from a brand new set once, altho the club was excruciatingly hot so it may have been because of the temp...
Strangley I've never snapped a string on Jag-Stang at a gig, even if I've not changed em for months...
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

you might want to run some very fine sand paper through the grooves in your saddles on the tele. if you smoothen out the burs, that will probably solve the problem.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

dots wrote:yeah, in thinking about it, i should've had options based on usage rather than time. a couple of my guitars are lucky to get restrung once a year, but they also see almost that little playing time. whichever are in the main rotation (the jag and toronado are at this point) will get re-strung quite often depending on how much we play. i haven't broken a string on stage in years, and i aim to keep it that way.
Yea, same with me. My SG, Tele deluxe and Mustang get the most playing time at the moment, so I change the strings on those guitars more often.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

I used to change them about once every three weeks when I played properly, now I don't play as much or have enough money to do expend on strings, so it's just when they need it now, but I put down every three weeks to make myself feel better.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

so many people are talking about not affording strings...I don't get it. If push comes to shove, can't youse guys buy the cheapy strings for like $2? My D'Addarios are only $5 or so...how can you not afford that? C'mon youse guys! :lol:
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Aug wrote:so many people are talking about not affording strings...I don't get it. If push comes to shove, can't youse guys buy the cheapy strings for like $2? My D'Addarios are only $5 or so...how can you not afford that? C'mon youse guys! :lol:
Seriously... strings aren't that expensive! I bought a box of Ernie Ball's from MF for $45 and it also came with a free strap! Then when that box started running low I went to Guitar center during one of their sales and they were selling the boxes of Ernie Ball's for $30!! That's 12 sets of strings for $30!!!! That's $2.50 per pack of strings... if you can't afford that then that's just ridiculous!
BobArsecake

Post by BobArsecake »

D'Addarios are around $11-$13 a set here.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

BobArsecake wrote:D'Addarios are around $11-$13 a set here.
meh...I forgot about that...in my hometown in New Mexico, strings run $12-20 each, and you're only choice is shopping online. But, you should concider buying in bulk like billy.
matte30is
Gimme' head till I'm dead

Post by matte30is »

If you have seen the amount of money I've spent on my car the last 3 months then you'd understand why I cant afford strings. :lol:
iCEByTes wrote:V8 give me chills the sound of motor , the visual , oh man oh shit oh crap.
BobArsecake

Post by BobArsecake »

Aug wrote:
BobArsecake wrote:D'Addarios are around $11-$13 a set here.
meh...I forgot about that...in my hometown in New Mexico, strings run $12-20 each, and you're only choice is shopping online. But, you should concider buying in bulk like billy.
Yeah I ought to go for the buying in bulk thing, just I feel so resentful at buying strings, I love putting them on, and setting up my guitar again and generally twatting about and that, but I just really hate having to buy them.
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

Aug wrote:My D'Addarios are only $5 or so...how can you not afford that? C'mon youse guys! :lol:
Jesus, I didn't realize just how much we're getting ripped off over here...
I'd change my strings every flipping week at that price...
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

I buy the 3-packs of D'Addario 10's for 14 bucks.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

dots wrote:you might want to run some very fine sand paper through the grooves in your saddles on the tele. if you smoothen out the burs, that will probably solve the problem.
Yeah I'll give that a try, cheers for the advice...
There's nothing worse than snapping a string mid-song because your kind of stuck between stopping playing and looking like a twat, or carrying on playing and sounding like a twat...
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

theshadowofseattle wrote:I buy the 3-packs of D'Addario 10's for 14 bucks.
14 bucks would get me one pack. They don't call us 'Rip-Off Britain' for nothing...
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

i stick Dean markley or ghs .... da''ario are a shit
Precise dwarf bravery
luke

Post by luke »

Strings are strings.
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

Malik wrote:Strings are strings.

so why Dean markley stay unrusted and good sound per 30 days
and da'ario get rusted after 5 days lol