Danelectro DC59s and the like

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Danelectro DC59s and the like

Post by Doog »

Sploosh.

All the horrible homophobic shit aside, has anyone tried one of the DC59M NOS Danos? I think I might be in love with this.

I'm curious to know how Tele-ish the angled bridge singlecoil and wraparound tailpiece can get.. I've been checking out a few 'neutral' sounding demos, but the bridge position sounds horrible here, like some out-of-phase Mustang bullshit:

[youtube][/youtube]
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

You're right, the bridge pickup does sound really awful in that vid.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

I almost bought one of these the other day. Regent Sounds have them in, and a couple in orange (the colour I prefer). They've got them with the '99 NOS Korean pickups - more lipsticky and less anodyne sounding than the more recent lipsticks they've been using - like the ones in the demo guitar above.

I may still grab one, but what's put me off in the short term is that a) I've already got these pickups in a Danelectro DC-3 b) the body construction is heavier and less like a classic Danelectro on these and c) I need to really check out that bridge close-up. I couldn't fiddle in the shop as I was dropping-off some pedals and chatting effects while my daughter was threatening to run amok.

Want:

Got:
Last edited by timhulio on Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

I googled "Is it okay to buy Danelectro yet?". This thread came-up... LOL
http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=588247&sid=76a38907acd374febe3c9ddaa4c47388
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I see them being a touch heavier as a bonus. Back when I was in uni I had the chance to buy a 90s model super cheap but I couldn't get used to the super light weight so I passed on it. It sounded played great but every time I held it I thought I was going to break it. I was mainly playing an alder Jazzmaster at the time.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

timhulio wrote:I googled "Is it okay to buy Danelectro yet?". This thread came-up... LOL
http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=588247&sid=76a38907acd374febe3c9ddaa4c47388
I miss that guitar, it was ridiculously small (the reason I sold it) but sounded and played great the in series position is one of the nicest sounds I've ever coaxed out of a guitar...
XY
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Thomas wrote:I see them being a touch heavier as a bonus. Back when I was in uni I had the chance to buy a 90s model super cheap but I couldn't get used to the super light weight so I passed on it. It sounded played great but every time I held it I thought I was going to break it. I was mainly playing an alder Jazzmaster at the time.
Yeah, the reviews I've read say the extra hefty and the new bridge make it a slightly different beast, which is a lot more appealing to me. Guess I better just go play one next to a Tele and see how far apart the two are.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I am strangely attracted to the Chinese ones, particularly the ones with the asymmetrical headstock, they are also a bit heavier like the new ones.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Addam

Post by Addam »

Fakir Mustache wrote:I am strangely attracted to the Chinese ones, particularly the ones with the asymmetrical headstock, they are also a bit heavier like the new ones.
Do you mean the Silvertone reissues? There is a little overlap between Dano and Silvertone.
I want one of these:

I might get a real one though, they aren't that pricey for a 45YO guitar. Amd they don't sell the reissues in the UK.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I meant these:

those Silvertones are actually solid-body.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Addam

Post by Addam »

Oh, I see what you mean by asymmetric now; the tip of the headstock had a notch in it.
Didn't know that was a thing.

*EDIT* I still think the Silvertone had a MUCH sexier headstock
WayToHip

Re: Danelectro DC59s and the like

Post by WayToHip »

Doog wrote:Image
Sploosh.
Sploosh indeed.That bridge, those seafoam knobs; it's so pretty now! I have a 50th anniversary DC, and it feels like antiquated garbage. The Rosewood(?) bridge barely intonates right and the gold finish is rubbing off. It being super light is actually a major positive; I love hollowbodies. Part of the Danelectro charm is the series circuit and lipsticks.

Not much else to say, good guitars for the money.
George

Post by George »

my one criticism of the dc design is that the neck pickup should be a little closer to the neck
cur

Post by cur »

Why?

Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

Addam wrote:
Fakir Mustache wrote:I am strangely attracted to the Chinese ones, particularly the ones with the asymmetrical headstock, they are also a bit heavier like the new ones.
Do you mean the Silvertone reissues? There is a little overlap between Dano and Silvertone.
I want one of these:

I might get a real one though, they aren't that pricey for a 45YO guitar. Amd they don't sell the reissues in the UK.
Those are true solid bodies which put me off cause I like the 1449. Definitely go for an original if you can. I love my 1448.
George

Post by George »

cur wrote:Why?
the voicing would be more like a typical neck pickup. it's sort of not quite there for me
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

The same thing with Epi Wilshire (and SG I guess), the neck pickup is not "in the place" and sounds quite thin. Though I've never played dc59 and maybe for it it is a sweet spot and a part of its magic sound-wise.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I know that the idea on a Strat is that the neck pup is under the hypothetical 24th fret for PROPER HARMONICS or whatever.

Maybe it IS a tonal choice here, but more realistically, it's just an aesthetic one, especially on a guitar made of hardboard or whatever. Maybe given the thinness of the bridge pup, a 'normal' placement would be too much, especially with the 'both' setting being wired in series rather than parallel?

TLDR: Gayhaterz don't care about harmonics neither, mane.
George

Post by George »

Doog wrote:I know that the idea on a Strat is that the neck pup is under the hypothetical 24th fret for PROPER HARMONICS or whatever.

Maybe it IS a tonal choice here, but more realistically, it's just an aesthetic one, especially on a guitar made of hardboard or whatever. Maybe given the thinness of the bridge pup, a 'normal' placement would be too much, especially with the 'both' setting being wired in series rather than parallel?

TLDR: Gayhaterz don't care about harmonics neither, mane.
i agree it's probably aesthetics, and it does look cool because of it. there's maybe something to be said for it being a tonal choice but i don't know... i'm just saying that for me, it's still great sounding, but not optimum. i spend most of my time on the neck pickup though so those harmonics are pretty important as i feel at home with them. the middle position is actually louder than separate so maybe there's some magic going on that you're describing (directly contrary to teles and strats)

also the bridge pickup is already decidedly thin and underwound already as per most vintage guitars. the bridge pup position itself works very well for me though and gets that rickenbacker vibe. definitely not like a tele though. for you doog, i think you'd want to look at an aftermarket overwound gfs bridge pup for what you typically play. to set volumes my bridge pickup is jacked up while the neck still is low enough that it starts to lose some clarity and bite. its a bit of a balancing act.

one thing you'll love is the neck though. it's 15" radius with a D profile, and the 12 string at least is comfortably wide. love it. you could definitely shred it up if you got it set up right
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

George wrote: definitely not like a tele though. for you doog, i think you'd want to look at an aftermarket overwound gfs bridge pup for what you typically play. to set volumes my bridge pickup is jacked up while the neck still is low enough that it starts to lose some clarity and bite. its a bit of a balancing act.

one thing you'll love is the neck though. it's 15" radius with a D profile, and the 12 string at least is comfortably wide. love it. you could definitely shred it up if you got it set up right
My 'clean' sound is a MBM Box Of Rock copy set to low gain, so tbh it doesn't worry me so much; I can just up the gain a little and tweak the tone a little and be back in Tele Country. I heard a similar Dano (albeit different pups in a diff position but whatevs ) into an AC30 and fucking LOVED the sound, dat Pixies-meets-Shellac rhythm tone is my jam:

[youtube][/youtube]