A Couple Danelectro / Silvertone Builds

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

cur

Post by cur »

For bridge, was thinking regular dano 12 string bridge for functionality.

Zack

Post by Zack »

ekwatts wrote:What else might it be called?
Masonite is a type of fiberboard. It's sort of in a similar family as MDF, except way less toxic as it doesn't use urea-formaldehyde in construction. It's also known as quartrboard, isorel, hernit, karlit, torex or treetex according to wikipedia. The masonite I've seen comes in 1/4" and 1/8" (6.35mm and 3.175mm respectively). If the art canvas is hardboard it's most likely the same as I've known artist who use the hardboard for painting or support.
cur

Post by cur »

Might also be called high density fiberboard, but not 100% on that.

Zack

Post by Zack »

I'm pretty sure you're right Cur, that's its proper, non-brand name.
cooter

Post by cooter »

ekwatts wrote:Also, what thickness wood did you use for the body? I'm looking at regular 45mm body blanks, but are they slightly too thick once the masonite top and bottoms go on? How thick are they? 5mm or slightly thicker? Would I be better off grabbing some 40mm wood from a local store or something?
I'm measuring about 33mm thick for the frame and the masonite/hardboard measures 3mm thick. So the body ends up being roughly 40mm thick.
That's what my Dano reissue measures as well.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
db

Post by db »

For UKers, like i say, i'm pretty sure timber yards and the like call it hardboard - 3mm hardboard from wickes:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-General- ... m/p/110107
db

Post by db »

Cooterfinger, is your masonite smooth on both sides, or has the backside got a meshed pattern?
cooter

Post by cooter »

db wrote:Cooterfinger, is your masonite smooth on both sides, or has the backside got a meshed pattern?
Mesh pattern on the backside.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
visceral

Post by visceral »

AMAZING WORK BTW!!! I had an original Dano Vibrato similar to the one on the cover of the book posted in the middle that was black but the vibrato Dano have a different headstock almost like a exaggerated gibson etc. Long story short someone had it in the trash 10 years later I fixed it up and sold if for $350+ etc.
visceral

Post by visceral »

AMAZING WORK BTW!!! I had an original Dano Vibrato similar to the one on the cover of the book posted in the middle that was black but the vibrato Dano have a different headstock almost like a exaggerated gibson etc. Long story short someone had it in the trash 10 years later I fixed it up and sold if for $350+ etc.
jmmc

Post by jmmc »

this is amazing!
Doug

Post by Doug »

Cooter, you have some serious skills goin for you!
Doug
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

By the way, here there is a copy of the Gotoh 12 string bridge relatively cheap on ebay
ebay
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

How is this project coming along?
cooter

Post by cooter »

Thomas wrote:How is this project coming along?
I've been working on a couple of mandocaster projects for MoRawka and some body repairs for a few other forum members so I haven't had much time to work
on the dano's. Although, the dolphin headstock U1 is ready for paint and the weather is nice so it may be a good week to start that.

Here's what I been working on for Mo. He had a body that robert og made but he needed a neck.
The eight string is what he wanted. He thought it might be good to have a 4 string neck too.

I figured I'd make me one of each while I was at it.

Here's where the dano dolphin U1 stands.

I made a control cover from a cookie sheet I bought at the Dollar Tree. It worked great, plus it's non-stick.

Unfortunately the poplar frame for the Longhorn 6 string bass was twisted so I had to scrap it. No worries though,
I'll make a new one the next time I order wood.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Dano looks awesome, as well as mandocaster. Now you do necks?
db

Post by db »

So hot! How are you going to finish the edge? Tape?
cooter

Post by cooter »

Thanks.

Sunshiner,
The mando necks are actually my first batch. I don't think I'll be doing custom necks anytime soon but I am
thinking about making batches of about 4 or 5 necks at a time. Oddball stuff like Swingers, Mavericks, Teisco, Silvertone and such.
No interest in making anything that's readily available like strats, teles, mustangs, jaguar and jazzmasters.

db,
Yeah, I'm making the binding tape from some marine upholstry that I bought a couple yards of. I'll
cut the strip and attach it with double sided carpet tape. The material is off white and looks close to the
original thing.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
NickS

Post by NickS »

Will you be doing the Swinger necks in 22.5" scale?
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I tried to build neck myself, well actually I built it. BUT (apart from the fact that the result of my work was far from being perfection) it is too much job to do and I understand when you say that you won't be doing regular necks. Nowadays it is much easier to buy a ready one, and will cost you less than the materials for your project.