To Jag-Stang or Not To Jag-Stang?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

singlepup

To Jag-Stang or Not To Jag-Stang?

Post by singlepup »

My local shop has one of these. Talk me into (or out of) buying it.

Some details: I've already played it unplugged and the neck is like a dream, just as Robroe has always said.

I sold all my guitars before coming to Taiwan except for my VM Jazzmaster. I'd trade in my VM JM to get this one.

The VM JM is a great guitar, but... (Have resolved my issues with the VM JM ).
Last edited by singlepup on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Also should be noted that I've never owned a Jag-Stang and sometimes feel left out / need the notch on my belt.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Do it! As you say, the neck is utterly fantastic. Looks to be in good condition.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Do it. I got rid of a jag that had bad harmonic overtones. Nothing i did would get rid of them. Plus, that looks ace!
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Yeah, that's my thinking on the harmonic overtones as well. I think the JM needs to go.

Thom, the guitar in the photo above isn't the actual guitar in question, but looks nearly identical. Local guitar is in excellent condition.

Urge to buy rising...
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

The neck is fantastic. Wait till you plug it in, the neck single coil is also fantastic. The bridge hum bucker, not so much.

Do it. One of my favourite guitars.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

I've always wanted one too, but continue to talk myself out of a purchase. The wonky shape, lack of contours and humbucker always kill it for me.

I would imagine that they are sonically similar to a fat strat, but with a Mustang tremolo. Is that a sound that suits your playing?
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I don't think they are much like a fat strat at all. Although that neck single coil is very stratty sounding (Jimi Hendrix wishes he had a Jag-stang for Little Wing). The other positions are more trashy garagey sounds. I couldn't ever get anything I liked out of the hum bucker, other than the out of phase sound which is cool with fuzz.
YuriK

Post by YuriK »

Id try it plugged in first, but if the neck is reqlly that nice then maybe just go for it, I guess you could always change pickups if you dont like the sound.
Beau In Space wrote:I hear this guy uses a capo.
Josh wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU POUR WINE ON IT INSTEAD OF BEER.
euan wrote:stop trying to put guitar mojo arrows on yuri's dick
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

If you like it buy it! Jag-Stang are rare now at least where i live. And the humbucker in that guitar didnt sound well but after my replace with seymour duncan pearly gates humbucker in white it rocks. I did also change the pots for vol and tone to 500 ohms and i rocks.

And yes i like the neck.
George

Post by George »

set fire to it and walk away
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

"Ohmygod, that crazy man came yesterday set the guitar on fire, chuckled and left the place. I'm even afraid to call the police."
Try plugged and buy if you like it.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Don't listen to George.
NickD

Post by NickD »

If you buy it, put a plastic bag over your head so you can't see the guitar. Great neck or not, they look fucking hideous.
YuriK

Post by YuriK »

Put the bag over the body
See, mojo arrows radiate outwards and you want to trap all that mojo. Your pickups (completely un potted for "openness") can pick up the mojoband have your sick blooz lawyer tonez in no time. Remember to use an amber switch tip for best results.
Beau In Space wrote:I hear this guy uses a capo.
Josh wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU POUR WINE ON IT INSTEAD OF BEER.
euan wrote:stop trying to put guitar mojo arrows on yuri's dick
pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

I had one, I wasn't impressed. If I recall, Kurt wasn't either. It was an unfinished work in progress that was released to the public after his death.

I got a Hallmark "Custom 60" recently, it the tits.

...but my opinion doesn't fucking matter. If you like it buy it!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Bacchus wrote:The neck is fantastic. Wait till you plug it in, the neck single coil is also fantastic. The bridge hum bucker, not so much.

Do it. One of my favourite guitars.

The reason why it has the best guitar neck ever made (to me) is because it was my only guitar from 94 to 02 and I played it for hours EVERY DAY. i had a shit starter guitar in 93 my dad got me to take lessons with and make sure it was something I was going to commit to before working my ass off for him and getting it for Christmas of 94. I was a sophmore in highschool, i took it everywhere with me, i took it to college, skipped class, and played for 12 hours a day sometimes because ya know FUCK SCHOOL YOU OWE 80GRAND TOO AMIRITE?

ABOUT THE HUMBUCKER, FUCK THE HUMBUCKER TAKE IT OUT, CALL MEZ AND GET A MUSIC MASTER 2 PICKGUARD FROM HIM LIKE I DID. PROBLEM SOLVED.

[youtube][/youtube]
dots wrote:incesticide
Rox

Post by Rox »

I say to Mustang. They're just an overpriced wonkier Mustang with a humbucker when you break it down. If it's a good deal though snatch it.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

almost traded my beloved jaguar for AENs jagstang. in the fabled sonic bloo also. just couldn't pull the trigger. that jaguar's not going anywhere.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Nah, no treble.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"