FAO: tech nigz

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

FAO: tech nigz

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Would shimming a neck fix buzzy frets up by the nut?
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

I tried pouring beer on it, and it helped, but I think I might need to do something else.

plz help
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Press ctrl+alt+del twice to bring up an online guitar tech support.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

wtf that's a noob gag, son
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Last edited by ekwatts on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

I'm not clicking anything called "circusgranny"
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

The power of Hai2u compels you.

Code: Select all

------//-:sso/mhmdNhNNhssosoo`.sysyho+ssos++yy/yddhyhhydhysssysyhhhhysdhhysyhyhyhhhhhhhhyssyyyyyddhy
-----//-:sso-/Ndhysysss++++//-://:///+/+o/oyodyoddyhsssyyyyosoyyhhhyssyyhyyhhhyyyyhhhyysysssosyyhhyy
-:::omoosyo----....--::::::::----------:::://oyoohysososyyoooyshhhhhyysoyhhhdhysyyyhhhhysossyyyhyshy
-/yy+:sh+--.........---:::---------......-----::/+ossooosso+osyyhhhs+++sssssyyyssssssossosshssyyhmmy
os+/+//---.....``...-:////:::::---...........----:::/+/:sssso//+:-..```````...`  ..-:`:+hssssosyhdhy
mh///:---..........-/osso+++//:::--.............--::::///+sy/-:-`          .`.`` -:-:-/+o++ssyhdhyyh
NNds/::--........--:+sdhysso++/////:--....-.......--:::/+//++++/:...```    .:./--/ssosyyhhsysysyyooh
NNm+//:::-......--/+sdNmmdhyysoo++oo/:--------......-:::/++//////:....-`  `:+/:+hmmhhmmh+/ohyyyysosy
NmNo+///::------::/oymMMMNNNmdhyysosso/:::::---......----:/+++/::::-.`.-/++oyyyddddmmNo...-:odmyssso
MNMyo++//::----::/+oymMMMMMMMMNmdhyyyhyo///::--........--:/+++++/:::osymmNNmdhyyhmNNNNNds:-..+Nyhddh
MMMmso+//:::---:::/+ohNMMMMMMNNNNNmdyoosso+/---.......-::/+++++++ooshmmNNNmdhyyddmmmNNNdmd/.-yNydddd
MMMMdo+//::-----:::/+ohNMMMMMm:NNNNNs:--:/:----.....-/+++ooo+++ooooymmdhyddddhdhhdmmmNNhmmhssNmsyhmm
MMMMMho+/::-----:::/+osdMNNNNNoNMmdy::--::------.--/+ossyyyyyyyysosmhoysydddddhhyhdhhmmNNMmmdNhssyhd
NMMNMmyo+//::::::///+ooyNNNNNmhs+/::::::::::::::/+osyhddmmmmmmdysohhs/osymdhyhhyssyyhmMMMMNNdho+ooyh
MMMMMNds++//::::///++oosdmds+/:::::::///////++ossyhdmmmmmmmmdoo+oyyyyo+osyo::/++oosssymMMMMMNhyy/+oy
NMMNNNNms+///://///++ooo+/::::////++ossyyyhhhhdmmmmmmmmmmmmNdyyhhyyys+////////::/+osydNMMMMMdhhh//yd
hddmmNNdho+/////////+/::::///++++ossyhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmdhyysyso//////o+/oooyyhdNNMMMNmNMd``.o
hhhhdddyhyo+////////:/:://++ossyyhhdmmmmmmddmmdhyhmmddmmdhy+:-.:ssssssso+++odsydmyhddmmNmNNmmmNd.```
dmhhhhyhdys+///////o+/////+shdhhdhsymmmNmmmmdyssssydds+:-.`````:ssooosssssyydmmmmmdmmmmNmMNdhdmmo```
yhsysyyyyyso+/::///+hs++////+o++syhmmdmmmmddyssoooyso``````````/ysoooossyhdyssysdNmmNMMMNMNmhyhdh-``
yhoyyhhyhyys+/::////smdso+///++ooyhdmmmdmmhhsshysooy:```````````-+syyhdsoosyo:odhssNMMNNNNNddyyhh+``
shyydhhhddhso+::://+/smmdyo//:/+oooymmddddsooyhhhhdm-````````````.+ss/+/oyymNmNNssyMMMNhhNmddyyyd+``
yhshdyhddhhho+/:-:/++/smNmhs+/::/++yddddmdhsosyhhdmm`````````````-://::+ooyNNMNNNhsdMMm:sNmmdhhhd: `
hhyhdhddmmddho++--/+//+smNNmhs+/::/+ydmmmmdhsssoyhho    ` ` `````:+//:::+/oNNNNNMNodmdy./Nmmddhhd+``
mddyhyhhhmmhdyoo/-:+///+smNNmmhs+/:::+sdmmhs+o///+o- ````````````:o/+:::/--hNNNNNMNN:.::dNmmddhhh/``
Ndmdhhdyhddydmo+o:://::+symNmNNds+/:::/+oo/::::://ossssss+:--::/::so/:://:-:dNNNNNNNh:-hNNNmmdddh+``
mdddddhydhhhdmy+++-:::/+syyhs++/:..-------:::---:::sshddddddhyo/::+s++///:-.dNNNNNNNNNmNNNmdhyyss/..
yhyysssosssyshh+/:--://oyo-.```````..-:---:::::::--:-:/+oso+:-...-::///+:::-+mNNNNmmmddys+/:--------
yhhhhyhssooohhy/:--:++oso.````````..-:::-::///::-:---.------:----/+//////:---/oo+++//:--.......--...
hhmmdNmdhyhddh/---:+oooy:.```......-:////+++////:::-...---..--:::o++/+/:++::-/--..--........--------
dhdNmmNmdNNMd/-..-:+ooss-..`......-:/+ooosooooo++/:--..-....---::oooooo+os--/:-....-......----:::---
ddmNmmNmhMNm/--..-/+osy+-.`.``....:/++ossyyyysso+/:--.......---::+yyyhyoo+:::-.-..-.....---::://::::
NdmmmMMNNMM+--...-/+osh:..``...--:/++oosyyyysso+/:----....-------/ohydy+o:.--....`......---://+///::
MNmmmNNNNNd:-...-:/+oyy:.....--:://+oyyhhhhhyso+/::--------:---:/+/:o+//::---.....`.....----://////:
MMNNmNNNNNy:-...-:/+sho:....---:::/+hddddddddyso+////////+++//++o+/-+::++:o//----.......--::/+ossso+
mNNNNMMMMM+-...--:/+yy/:-.....--.-:++-/shdddddhhysssssyysys+yys+o/--o:-:/.ho/+///::::----::/+shddddd
MMMNNNMMMN:-...-://oho--.........-:o+   `-smmmmdddddddhyhhsyhho/::/+h:---.soossyyysssoo++oosyhdmmmmm
MMMMMMMMMd:-...-:/+yd/-..........-:o+   `odmmmNNNNNmmmmhddhyhhso+/+oh/---/+/ohhhdddddddddddmmmmmmmmm
MMMMMMMNMh:...--:/ohh:...`......--:++   oyyhhdddmmNNNmmhhdhhhsooyssyh/-+ssy+/sydddmmNNNNNNNNmmmmdddd
MMMMMMMMMs-...--:+ymy-..`........-:/o  `yshhhddddddddmdmmmdyhysooshmd:/syyhy+yyyhmNNNNmmmmmddmdddhhd
MMMMMMMMM/-...-:/odms-...........-:/s  -ssssyyhhhhhddhyddmsos+:::+/-:-/+yhhsos+/:+oydddddddhhhhyyyyy
MMMMMMMMN:-..--:+hmms-...........-:+s  -sssssssssyyyysys:-..-`..-:-.-.:ys+/:-:...`.../syyyyyyyyyyyyy
MMMMMMMMd:-..--/syhdo-..........-:/o+  .sssyyyssssssso:..-...``.....-.:s:---::``.``````:oyysyyyyyyyy
MMMNmmhh:...`.-/y:/++-.........--/+h. `/++ossssyyssso/----.--...--.---:o-:-.-:-.-----:::/syyssyssooo
MNmmhhy+        :`/++-.........-:+y+  :++++ooooooo++oooooo+ooo+ooo+-++:y+oooosssssssssssssoo+ooo++o+
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

I think Aug cut the nut too small? Also, the frets feel way small and are rough to the touch when doing bends. I have no idea what is up with this neck.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Don't think shimming would really help down by the nut, sounds like you wanna tweak the truss a little or recut/replace the nut?
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Aren't nuts for vomiting on?
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

theshadowofseattle wrote:I think Aug cut the nut too small? Also, the frets feel way small and are rough to the touch when doing bends. I have no idea what is up with this neck.
I never touched the nut. If it's buzzing at the top of the neck, all you need is to adjust the truss. (Must be a change-of-weather thing).
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Okay, what direction do I turn it in and how far?
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

detune.
turn counter-clockwise 1/8 of a turn.
retune and wait two hours.
if not good enough, repeat.
tremlock

Post by tremlock »

Aug wrote:
I never touched the nut.
"Icey"its cames when i unleash new skills
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Aug wrote:detune.
Counter-clockwise looking at it from what angle?
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

theshadowofseattle wrote:
Aug wrote:detune.
Counter-clockwise looking at it from what angle?
I'll call you.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

hahahaha

I'm so glad you asked this question, because I'm having the same problem on my tele, but i was too emabrrassed to ask a truss rod question I should know the answer to.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

from either image, left loosens, right tightens.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i would check the relief i nthe neck before tighting or lossening it. just try to do the third fret trick, where you hold down the string at the third adn if the string is touching the first fret then then you needs a new nut.
as for the frets feeling like ass. is it the top of the frets or the sides.
if its the top.
1. take off al strings
2. tape off any exposed fretboard(except frets)
3. get some steel wool or 800-1200 grit sand paper with mineral spirits
4. drop some spirits and starting going at it. after a minute you will notice any resistence start to turn into smoothness.
but don;t go too far! then you have to recrown them. and if you go way way way way too far then a new fret. but honestly its pretty hard to sand steel with something that is as ruff as a peice of construction paper.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

I'm going with the neck adjustment. I'd say you prolly have proper nut height....or the bridge?