Chinese knock-off Billie Joe Armstrong dc LP Jr.

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Ankhanu

Chinese knock-off Billie Joe Armstrong dc LP Jr.

Post by Ankhanu »

One of my bandmates is looking to get himself a doublecut LesPaul Jr. with a P90 in TV Yellow. He's kind of had his eye on the Billie Joe Armstrong signature model, as it's pretty much the feature set he's after. At the same time, he's ok getting something that will be a decent platform and replacing hardware to get a good sounding and playing guitar relatively cheap.

He found this Chinese knock-off which is fairly cheap, and could easily be upgraded.

Any of you guys have experience with these guys? Is the construction any good? Do they play well? Worth picking up and replacing the pickup, tuners, etc.?
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Try to convince this guy to ship to Canada
ebay
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Considering how a cheap LP Jnr is usually secondhand I'd avoid buying a Chinese knock off. By the time you factor in shipping, replacing the crap parts and getting it into reasonable playing shape you'd probably end up spending more money than you would for an actual Gibson.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I would prefer dhgate, because if it comes with "Gibson" on the headstock and you ask them to not have it on there, it's not particularly in the alibaba rules that you would get your money back if it gets confiscated, although I suppose you can prove you didn't want the logo, so it might not be an issue at all.

On the other hand, cheap hardware, cheap tuners, cheap strap buttons (although the bridge on the one I got is o.k.) Cheap pickups, but you might have better luck with P90s, which is not what I have.

The one I got has a well-built body and neck, but I suppose it is also true that you can get pretty much a copy of the same model from the '70s-2000s for about the same price, if you don't mind a possible bolt-on neck on some of them.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Re: Chinese knock-off Billie Joe Armstrong dc LP Jr.

Post by robroe »

Ankhanu wrote: decent platform
LOL

its got one pickup. that isn't shaped like a humbucker or a single coil. so you cant drop in 99% of the pickups on the market. the pickguard doesn't cover anything. so you cant add more pickups without fucking it all up. its got 2 knobs. if you add more holes for more knobs you will fuck it up.

its a nice guitar, i wouldn't mind one. but its not a decent platform for anything
dots wrote:incesticide
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Thomas wrote:Considering how a cheap LP Jnr is usually secondhand I'd avoid buying a Chinese knock off. By the time you factor in shipping, replacing the crap parts and getting it into reasonable playing shape you'd probably end up spending more money than you would for an actual Gibson.
This is true. Four years ago I had a chance to buy Tokai LP Jr for about $650 includes shipping, but ended up with a kit. As the result I've already spent almost that sum on the kit and parts. The kit is not built yet, further more it has some neck back bow closer to the nut and even if I finish it, it won't be as good as Tokai could be. Despite the fact that you are bying the ready guitar, it's quality is unpredictable. A new pickup, tuners and pots will cost you something, while the resaling value of the guitar won't be that good. If you are not going to cheat on someone of course.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Go used Epiphone and replace the pickup with a real Gibson p90. The Epiphone p90's are good, but brighter with less midrange punch than a Gibson. The fit and finish on the Epiphones is pretty amazing.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
cur

Post by cur »

rondo has decent lp jr knock offs at times. I had their Douglas classic TVY that I liked a lot. I got it from Honeyiscool and later gave to my nephew because he liked it. [youtube][/youtube] I think they made a DC of this one too.
Also, Agile makes one link. They are not always in stock and Rondo has a good enough return policy if you get a dud. The one I had had it's nut slots too tight and it went out of tune when you did any bending. once corrected it was nice.

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

speedfish wrote: The Epiphone p90's are good, but don't say GIBSON on them anywhere
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

you can set the intonation on it. barely.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

A little off topic, but I've been exploring the website shared in the OP. Hella crazy Chinese guitars. All shipped to Taiwan for free :wink:

For example, check out this left handed "Jag-Stang"

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Left-Han ... 27627.html

Or this weird Mustang-Jaguar hybrid. Even has a real Fender neck plate.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sale ... 11224.html
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Online Chinese guitar salesman wrote:1.I am an honest and reliable seller, please trust me !
cur

Post by cur »

I have purchased from aliexpress and have had no problems with the sellers. You get a 30 day guarantee that can be extended. The thing I ordered got lost in transit and never made it into the shipping tracker. I pointed it out and he apologized and remade the order and re shipped it. He extended my bail out time by 15 days and was in good communication with me the whole time. I don't know about all of their sellers, but they seem well managed by the company.

paul_

Re: Chinese knock-off Billie Joe Armstrong dc LP Jr.

Post by paul_ »

robroe wrote:
Ankhanu wrote: decent platform
LOL

its got one pickup. that isn't shaped like a humbucker or a single coil. and two knobs

All that's left to buy is a decent amp. These guitars are more versatile than Mustangs.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

I guess I should clarify that when I said "decent platform", I did notintend to imply the word "modding" in the middle. It was absent ;) I meant a decent playing platform, that, when the stock hardware is gone, the basis of the instrument (the body, neck, etc) are a decent platform upon which to add better hardware to make a truly solid player.
There's no intent to mod with extra features; an LP Jr feature set is the intent for the final instrument.

Bit of a mixed bag of opinions on that matter, and some good food for thought. Thanks.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Ankhanu wrote:I guess I should clarify that when I said "decent platform", I did notintend to imply the word "modding" in the middle. It was absent ;) I meant a decent playing platform, that, when the stock hardware is gone, the basis of the instrument (the body, neck, etc) are a decent platform upon which to add better hardware to make a truly solid player.
There's no intent to mod with extra features; an LP Jr feature set is the intent for the final instrument.

Bit of a mixed bag of opinions on that matter, and some good food for thought. Thanks.
Try this:

not tv yellow, but will work right outa the box. Didn't intend to misrepresent the Epiphone p90, they are totally acceptable, just brighter to my ear, kinda like if a Gibson p90 and a Fender Jazzmaster pickup made a baby together.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister