Headstock matching chip repair

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

finboy

Headstock matching chip repair

Post by finboy »

A while back, cooter hooked me up and finished a headstock for me, he did a great job but when it arrived, I totally n00bed it and tried forcing bushings in that were too big. The result wasn't awful from 10 feet away, but after the recent success I had with matching the headstock for my vi, I thought I would try to fix this myself. Below are the images with tuners on, and off

Not pretty, so far I did a quick block sand to knock loose any paint chips, and now I get to the part where I need help. In Canada, we don't have reranch, which means I have to find a similar paint colour to touch up the tuners issues. After that, I am going to re-clear the top, and *maybe* try to find some bushing washers that can cover up any remaining scars.

Thoughts, opinions, and tips are more than welcome on technique, or possible bushings/washers that can make this neck look great again.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Post it back to Cooter and enclose a napkin with a ";(" drawn on it in crayon, along with however many dollar-e-doos it costs.
finboy

Post by finboy »

It would be 60-70 usd to do that, and if I can find paint locally, I could do it for 10-15, plus build up my skills
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

man you fucked up.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
cur

Post by cur »

Find some little chrome washers that fit the bushings and cover the chips. Maybe able to find something like that at an auto part store for engine dress up. Other than that, go to a hobby shop and see if they have some model paint that is close, or even go to a paint place and see if they can mix you up something close.

Them wounds are in the wrong spot for guitar mojo.

finboy

Post by finboy »

Well there are a tone of body shops around, so worst case I can get a sample size and just use that to fill the area. I looked up model car paint from testors and couldn't find a match unfortunately.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Vintage vibe. A lot of old necks get that treatment.

What color is that—IBM? It seems to vary. How close is Montana? You may find aerosol, but mixing is tough. Is nitro?
Yell Like Hell
finboy

Post by finboy »

It's stock surf green, I found a body shop supply store close by that can match paint, and watched an automotive touch up video. With luck I will have an update tmrw, looks pretty straight forward, and doesn't need to be perfect as the bushings will still cover some (see pic 1)

So far I went through 600-1000-2000 grit clear coat sand down to take care of some clear coat imperfections, more to come