teisco inspired mustang build

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

cur wrote:just ordered this off of ebay
That looks much better than Leo Quan
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

cooterfinger wrote:
sunshiner wrote:I'm sorry for the offtop, but I will be glad to see Kalamazoo KG2 project here on the forum :) I'm a big fan of all Melody Maker related guitar family and it is always interesting and useful for me to see your work
Thanks. I'll definitely post pics when it's done.
I've got to get a few of these projects finished so I can try and trade cur something for the Teisco Stang build when he gets it done.
I'm looking forward for another interesting project
cooter

Post by cooter »

cur wrote:just ordered this off of ebay
That looks really well made. What's the sellers name?
Smells like Rock n' Roll
cur

Post by cur »

eBay link

performancemusicco

cur

Post by cur »

working on headstock fix

and fixed

speedfish

Post by speedfish »

cur wrote:working on headstock fix

and fixed

You've got some mad skills!!! Impressive.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
cooter

Post by cooter »

Beautiful job. How long did it take to find a piece of maple that the grain would line up with?
That's kinda scarey how well they match up. 8)
Smells like Rock n' Roll
cur

Post by cur »

about 2 minutes. I have a stash of neck blank maple under my bed and at the end of one of the pieces there was a spot that lined up almost perfectly with the neck when I held it to it. I wan't going to worry about it, but it was like magic how well it lined up. I go to my lumber yard and pick through their stuff, I have some cool neck stock that is very curly and I got one for 8 bucks last week that us pretty good birds eye.

I ended up with the fender style headstock, but is a smidge smaller then normal. Not noticeable though

cur

Post by cur »

got the bridge today. very nice quality, looks like a no brand tonepro's but without the fancy post system they use.

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I would try one, but this guy charges a lot for the international shipping. I will be waiting till it appears at some China sellers on the ebay, shipping from China to KZ is usually a couple of bucks.
Have you seen this duo sonic earlier? Also has a wraparound bridge, but not intonable one
cur

Post by cur »

Never seen that before; who dat? Looks like it is compensated, so if it is set up right it should be close to spot on.

Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

speedfish wrote:
cur wrote:working on headstock fix

and fixed

You've got some mad skills!!! Impressive.
It looks more like what he started out to begin with, and less like the example he posted.

But it is well done.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
cur

Post by cur »

Fakir Mustache wrote:It looks more like what he started out to begin with, and less like the example he posted.
cur wrote: I ended up with the fender style headstock, but is a smidge smaller then normal. Not noticeable though
I know, I changed my mind. It looked good and I didn't have to reshape the heel.

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

cur wrote: who dat?
Have no idea TBH. I saw somewhere this picture and was puzzled about how they did it without screwing intonation
cur

Post by cur »

OK, should I go with flat slab body, or cut outs: forearm and tummy?

I like my teisco cut outs like the ones I did on my solid mahogany re-build from a while back vs traditional mustang. Not sure what way to go. Probably flat slab, or competition mustang style.
► Show Spoiler

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I think you should choose yourself or you won't be satisfied with the result. I know I didn't help
Addam

Post by Addam »

I don't think Teisco and other similar manufacturers did contours, didn't they just make the bodies waffer thin?
I would make the body thinner, which would work with the bridge you're planning.
High bridge, surface mount pickups, shallow neck pocket, skinny slab body.
In a weird way it adds up.
I'm just dissapointed you aren't using plywood :lol:

Incidentally, I looked into using plywood to build a guitar body, it turns out that it's actually cheaper to use real timber :shock:
cur

Post by cur »

I like the 60's Japanese aesthetic, but the fender quality. So it is 1.5" thickness and made out of poplar. I will be making a jig to play with neck pocket depth and mount the bridge and pups to it to make sure everything works and sets up.

My last build was updating an old teisco by making a 1.5 inch solid mahogany body and making a custom compensated saddle bridge for it. Other than that used all the original parts.

Plenty of old Japanese guitars have contours. So I guess when I said tiesco in the title I was meaning 60's Japanese aesthetics.

I made a body out of some cabinet grade plywood before. Two layers of 7 ply 3/4 inch birch ply that I had left over. Problem I had was the odd voids in the layers that needed attention.

olin

Post by olin »

I always really regret not adding belly contours after I've painted, then end up going back and ruining things as a result. Gotta prepare for that post-beer noodling.

I'm also really interested in the build you mentioned, where you re-made a teisco body out of mahogany, is there a thread or something for that?
cur

Post by cur »

Here is the teisco rebuild link.

Was going to do a tele with the pups that are on the current project. I am 99% done with the build above, but have not brazed the brass saddle to the nickel bridge yet. the stings actually hold it down very well at the moment, so I just go with that.