teisco inspired mustang build

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I always for the combination of tummy cut with flat front, but as long as you want that 60's Japanese vibe I guess that SG style sharp arm cut that you've done on the previous project can do the trick. As I understand all body edges should be sharp then, not rounded
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
cur

Post by cur »

made a jig to figure out the neck pocket to bridge height situation. made some shims to go into the pocket so I could tinker with depth and angle. when then when I got it set up nicely, I put some painters tape on the exposed neck surface. so it looks like a pocket depth of about 12-13 mm and for best set up about an 6-8 degree angle. I checked the neck on my other teisco and the depth is at 15 mm, but the neck thcknes at the pocket end is 3 mm more than my fender neck.

Image Image

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

cur wrote:best set up about an 6-8 degree angle.
Sounds like a too big angle. Usual angle gor SG is about 2.2 - 2.5 degree, despite the fact that Gibson officially claims 4 deegree. SG has tall pickup rings too, though not as tall as your covers I guess. Maybe it would be better to make leser angle in the neck pocket and shallower the pocket itself to match the height of the bridge. I just think that usual SG has some noticable neck to body angle with its 2.2 or 2.5 degree while you playing it and with 6 - 8 it maybe feel too akward to play the guitar.
cur

Post by cur »

Your probably correct on the angle. I was using a cheap angle gauge to eyeball it. The change in depth is barely noticeable. I will be going with the direct measurement I made with the tape line pion the neck.

cur

Post by cur »

got some cheap strings and strung up the jig to see if it will intonate from my bridge placement. it does nicely. then I played it a bunch on the jig. sounds great like it is :lol:

thanks for the cool pups cooterF

Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

You should play it like that. I would imagine there are tons of guitarists who dream of having a LaBaye 2x4.
came out in 1967, the same year as the 2nd version of the Flying V.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
cur

Post by cur »

tonight I hogged out the tummy and forearm cutouts. turned on my trusty angle grinder with sanding disk and had what you call catastrophic failure. big chunk broke off and went flying. glad I still have my face. nothing like 11,000 rmp bullets. I had a 40 grit flap disk sitting around, so I used that. roughed it out and then shaped with 80 grit on orbital hand sander.

ImageImage
ImageImage

My son tracked down where the flying piece hit. It took out a chunk from a 4x4 on my covered patio.
Last edited by cur on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

db

Post by db »

cur wrote:tonight I hogged out the tummy and forearm cutouts. turned on my trusty angle grinder with sanding disk and had what you call catastrophic failure. big chunk broke off and went flying. glad I still have my face. nothing like 11,000 rmp bullets. I had a 40 grit flap disk sitting around, so I used that. roughed it out and then shaped with 80 grit on orbital hand sander.
Crikey, that would have woken you up. Looking good though. The guitar, not your face.
cooter

Post by cooter »

Ouch. That could have been nasty. The router table is the one that scares the shit out of me.
Especially when I'm shaping the outside edge of a body. I try to keep the passes very thin
so it doesn't tear out or jerk the piece out of my hands.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

cooterfinger wrote:Ouch. That could have been nasty. The router table is the one that scares the shit out of me.
Especially when I'm shaping the outside edge of a body. I try to keep the passes very thin
so it doesn't tear out or jerk the piece out of my hands.
Totally this. And a bunch of other power tools, tables and presses that have uncovered working parts
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

yup... It really puts you on edge when you get a kick out of a router. Did it the other week and it jumped and hit another bit of the wood which near exploded. Couldn't stop thinking if it had been my hand. Been a tad shy of it since
cur

Post by cur »

sunshiner wrote:I would try one, but this guy charges a lot for the international shipping.
found, what I think is the same bridge from aliexpress.

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

cur wrote:
sunshiner wrote:I would try one, but this guy charges a lot for the international shipping.
found, what I think is the same bridge from aliexpress.
Oh, thank you. Looks like a great price and the shipping is free for Kazakhstan
cur

Post by cur »

Starting to polish up my aluminum Pickgaurd. Need to figure out the knobs and jack location. Not sure how to go with the pup switching. I have a black lever switch laying around, a chicken head, or maybe a three way toggle. Getting near time to prime and paint.

cooter

Post by cooter »

Looking good! I bought one of those switch knobs as well. I didn't have a use for it but I figured as cool as it looked
I'd need it one day.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Maybe like this
Or chicken head instead of toggle
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Please do it like that and please print Jack on it and have a line going to the jack.
cur

Post by cur »

cooterfinger wrote:Looking good! I bought one of those switch knobs as well. I didn't have a use for it but I figured as cool as it looked
I'd need it one day.
Ditto. I've been sitting on it trying to figure out what project I can use it on. Probably not this one... Can't get it to look correct. I guess I will live with the comfort of knowing I have it if I ever need it. Probably needs to go on a big hollow body.

did a bit of a poish on the aluminum guard.

cur

Post by cur »

made a pickup cutout template and routed it into the pickguard

► Show Spoiler

NickS

Post by NickS »

cur wrote: I've been sitting on it trying to figure out what project I can use it on. Probably not this one... Can't get it to look correct.
Looks very practical to me.