Teach me about Flying Vs

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Fakir Mustache

Teach me about Flying Vs

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I am interested in ones with a bolt-on neck, especially from the 1980s. What brands were there (other than Vantage and 1970s Ibanez)? Any nice heavy ones made of plywood or something?
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Electra. Is what James Hetfield used in Metallica early on. Bolt on too.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I think Electra and Greco can be expensive nowadays though. Not always I suppose.
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
HNB

Post by HNB »

The one V Electra I found checking email is only a little under $10,000.00. :)
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Aria Pro II made some bolt-ons, they aren't easily found though. Kay, Commodore and Marlin made some cheaper ones, Fernandes and Kramer more expensive.
There is also the Jackson route as well, a bit more pointy but plenty of decent bolt-ons.
HNB

Post by HNB »

I like the way they look, but I just can't play the things. Their bodies always want to slide off my lap or poke out where it isn't comfortable to me. I know you can put the V part on your leg and such, but it puts it at a odd angle for me on the ones I have played. I love the headstock on them though.
HNB

Post by HNB »

This guy seems to handle it ok though.

Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I like 'em and the guitar I've owned the longest (17 years) is a Flying V. Upper fretboard access is superb and I like the balance.
My only crticism is they are a bit too much of a statement, if you play at a local bar and walk out with a V, people immediately expect fuck-off solos, leg on the monitor, pouting and all that bullshit.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

When sitting down they suck anus. While standing up they're alright and look pretty cool unless you are fat.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Noirie. wrote:Electra. Is what James Hetfield used in Metallica early on. Bolt on too.
IRL lolz because this was literally the first/only thing I thought of posting.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I remember seeing a very interesting one in a pawn shop quite a long time ago. It had a green to black burst and some kind of fake Bigsby without a pressure bar, well not exactly a Bigsby but something similar in function with a round bar. I think it was Japanese. Anybody know what it was?

It wasn't one of these: Mahar on ebay
because I saw it in the 90s and it was already pretty old, plus the body was bigger to fit the tailpiece and I'm pretty sure it had two pickups. The finish was similar but green instead of blue.

--------

Although apparently most of the flying v's up to the mid 80s were made in two Japanese factories and they tacked on different importers' brands (for example Arbiter and Shaftesbury in the UK, and Bradley in the US), if they didn't have special features (like the Vantage headstock). After that some were made in Korea.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The Korina Epiphone Vs (and Explorers) are great and CHEAP.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

paul_ wrote:
Noirie. wrote:Electra. Is what James Hetfield used in Metallica early on. Bolt on too.
IRL lolz because this was literally the first/only thing I thought of posting.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

This is my current main guitar. I am in love with it.
it is a set neck though. scored it for $300
jculpjr

Post by jculpjr »

Here's one for sale Marketing Grad
HeartfeltDawn

Post by HeartfeltDawn »

Fran wrote: My only crticism is they are a bit too much of a statement, if you play at a local bar and walk out with a V, people immediately expect fuck-off solos, leg on the monitor, pouting and all that bullshit.
I'd rather have that than any more open mic nights watching shitty singer-songwriters breathing out their eunuch ballads.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

HeartfeltDawn wrote:
Fran wrote: My only crticism is they are a bit too much of a statement, if you play at a local bar and walk out with a V, people immediately expect fuck-off solos, leg on the monitor, pouting and all that bullshit.
I'd rather have that than any more open mic nights watching shitty singer-songwriters breathing out their eunuch ballads.

....... ZING!

But yeah, agreed.

"Hey, it's just me and an acoustic. This one is about a girl and some things that made me sad. The next one is about the sun, and being happy. See? Full dynamic range in feels, even though I'm relying on a pretty shitty piezo mic pickup!"
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
HeartfeltDawn

Post by HeartfeltDawn »

ekwatts wrote:....... ZING!

But yeah, agreed.

"Hey, it's just me and an acoustic. This one is about a girl and some things that made me sad. The next one is about the sun, and being happy. See? Full dynamic range in feels, even though I'm relying on a pretty shitty piezo mic pickup!"
At least sad singer-songwriters in the past who were sad about girls would take drugs, turn into alcoholics, and generally fuck themselves up in the name of art. The modern bunch? Excessive humus consumption when grieving, nothing more.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

HeartfeltDawn wrote:
Agreed, I'd rather watch that guy than be that guy though.

HeartfeltDawn wrote: At least sad singer-songwriters in the past who were sad about girls would take drugs, turn into alcoholics, and generally fuck themselves up in the name of art. The modern bunch? Excessive humus consumption when grieving, nothing more.
I blame Mumford and Sons.
HeartfeltDawn

Post by HeartfeltDawn »

Fran wrote:I blame Mumford and Sons.
Mumford & Sons, forever in my heart as the kings of Waitrose Folk Music. Folk music for people too rich for poverty, no matter how much beard they grow.