Joyo AC Tone, horribly impressed with this pedal

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Freethenoise

Joyo AC Tone, horribly impressed with this pedal

Post by Freethenoise »

So much so in fact that I'm tempted to go through it and re-work a higher quality switch to make to a little sturdier for gigs.

[youtube][/youtube]
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

I have the American and British... Both excellent (especially the American)
XY
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

I picked up the American, British, AC and California ones a while back. Great pedals, especially considering the price. I think the American's probably my fave.

Nice demo btw.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Freethenoise

Post by Freethenoise »

BearBoy wrote: Nice demo btw.
Thank you kindly,

I've heard a lot of praise for the American model. If I didn't already have three Fender amps I'd probably pick one up.
I'm kind of itching to try out the Marshall one.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I have the American. British and AC Tone

they're all great and that's the order I prefer them in. The AC Tone is prob the least versatile of the bunch, like a real Vox amp I suppose.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Are these supposed to be used like a pedal and run into the front of an amp, or are they like a pre-amp and have to be treated differently?
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

They have a speaker simulator that you can't switch off, so I imagine they could be a little booming through an amp
XY
toez10

Post by toez10 »

I love having the AC tone handy. It's really quite nice sounding, and I've found that it's fairly sturdy. I also use it on my pedal board as a "second channel" when I'm playing bass.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I've got the British and it's really impressive in terms of sound out of it, but it's a pretty noisy little pedal.
Freethenoise

Post by Freethenoise »

Mike wrote:The AC Tone is prob the least versatile of the bunch, like a real Vox amp I suppose.
Zing!

I think overall it just makes me nostalgic for my old AC30 that I sold when I was diagnosed with scoliosis. Carrying that monster in and out of my car and up stairs probably didn't help too much in the long run...

Through my Princeton though, it's really shockingly accurate, I was thinking about saving my pennies and picking up a Wampler Thirty-Something but this might have saved me $200.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Maybe it's just me, but I thought my Joyo British pedal was/is not all that. Having a Tech 21 Oxford next to it, and sure, the British pedal sounded pretty good, but noise levels, the hum and noise were relatively awful. It came off my board pretty quickly. It's fine for bedroom use and recording in controlled situations, but when the power gets dirty, as it often does in rehearsal and stage situations, Tech 21 is worth its weight in gold, and the Joyo performed like a $40 pedal. I don't have all that much faith in their switch either. I have a Vintage Overdrive from Joyo and as much as I like that thing, it's very noisy and it just doesn't really feel "like a tank" to me.

Might be my experience, of course. Perhaps using a battery would keep it clean, but part of having it stageworthy for me is that I can keep it plugged into a pedal board and not worry about a battery.

As for an AC style pedal, I am currently using a Boss British Combo BC-2 Overdrive. That thing works like a dream.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Freethenoise

Post by Freethenoise »

Took me long enough but here's an updated demo recorded direct into my interface. I still think it works great as an overdrive but the tone direct in is great.

[youtube][/youtube]