Strokes/Vaccines playing technique: tips?

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

fetusrobot

Strokes/Vaccines playing technique: tips?

Post by fetusrobot »

i've been interested in the Strokes' and Vaccines' music a lot recently, and i wanted to emulate their style somehow (i'm a guitar player), alas my playing technique (mostly my soloing style) is more like Dinosaur Jr.
when i solo i just go back and forth on a major scale, usually C or G or F or D or something i can understand. at least i think it's a major scale, i'm like not musically educated at all. i just hit the notes that draw a power chord (if the notes follow the structure of D5 for instance, i'm playing on the scale of D, as far as i understand it). i've been kind of studying Freddie Cowan's soloing patterns, as well as Nick Valensi, but i haven't really got anywhere. i tabbed the solo for Melody Calling but that hasn't had an effect on my playing. i also struggle with song structures, i don't really know how to write a piece of rhythm (my songs all mostly consist of seventh, suspended and minor chords), and i wanted a more straight forward but still interesting rock coat so. do you guys have any tips. could you maybe explain scales and stuff? or just give me tips on how to practice a different style? thx
dont look at me
Beau

Post by Beau »

Learn songs by those artists in between doing exercises from:
http://www.skepticalguitarist.com/skept ... olume1.htm

Music Principles volume one helped me understand a lot of basic theory stuff.
fetusrobot

Post by fetusrobot »

i dont really want a formal education, more than a stylistic one. :? i mean i've been playing for a while now and i think i've settled my technique/style, i'm just looking to improve it in the general direction that the strokes were aiming for with First Impressions Of Earth. chord shifts, playing dynamics, etc.
dont look at me
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

If you're working on writing stuff best advice is to listen to all sorts. You like the vaccines and the strokes. Find out what they liked and check that out. Then work that back. It's just a case of being open to influences and by doing that you'll pick up new bits and pieces on guitar as a byproduct. Learn stuff you'd never listen to. Analyse song structures. Most importantly if you're going to steal, steal from the best. A cliche is only a cliche coz it was popular once if a time so don't be afraid of treading well used tricks and structures. Hope this helps
How Terribly Rock N Roll
Mike wrote:That's like honk squared. too much fucking honk.
fetusrobot

Post by fetusrobot »

well yeah. of course i analyze their structures and stuff. i just kind of haven't gotten anywhere and i dont know where to start like. idk theres this thing that nick does when he's soloing where he plays a bunch of notes really fast and maybe i wouldn't be interested in doing that but. i just don't know how to translate that back to me. :? idk idk. i was hoping you guys would have some basic exercise or something you know, like, "oh if you like the solo for The Modern Age, try this proggression it's pretty close to the method" which is kind of something i do now everytime i'm playing on the scale of either C or F (play the open G note and then climb across the fretboard and jumping back to open G). all i know about pre FIOE Strokes is power chords and sometimes a few weird chords. and kinda punk rock playing method, very square. when it comes to the Vaccines i know they have this really basic G5 F5 C structure (maybe with other notes tho they use a lot of capos), which is i guess something the Jesus & Mary Chain did as well. i guess i'm mostly asking for bullet points, and some links related to each bullet point. :)
dont look at me
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Influences take time. If you've identified the style you're going for, find some tabs, learn and practice them up and down, record a few covers if you really want to immerse yourself, and be patient. If you spend enough time with it, it will work its way into your own style eventually.
fetusrobot

Post by fetusrobot »

you're right, i play way too many Dinosaur Jr. songs. maybe i should try covering a couple of Strokes songs for a while and see where that takes me. :)
dont look at me
torchindy

Post by torchindy »

It's true... It took me forever to realize that riffs, licks, etc don't translate into a style, and the only way to 'absorb' somebody else's style into your own is to play the hell out of their songs for a while.
fetusrobot

Post by fetusrobot »

YES which is exactly what put me where i am. i played so much Dinosaur Jr. in the past like, 6 months, that i can't tell the difference between J Mascis and me.
dont look at me
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Yup, all those above hit the nail on the head. In college, my fav band was the Cure. I learned how to play tons of Cure riffs. Guess what? Years and years later, I still use arpeggios and drone notes in most everything I do.
fetusrobot

Post by fetusrobot »

i recently learned to play The Modern Age (particularly the solo) and tabbed Meet Me In The Bathroom so i guess i'm getting somewhere because last time i picked up a guitar it sounded a wee bit like the intro to Vision Of Division idk. thanks tho :D
dont look at me