I need cheap vintage style klusons without the split post!

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Supersonicman

I need cheap vintage style klusons without the split post!

Post by Supersonicman »

I just can't get along with that Safe-T post design on my Jag-Stang. I need a somewhat cheap alternative that will drop right in with posts similar to (http://www.puresalemguitars.com/models/reverberation/). Any one know of any machines without that design? It'll make life much easier for me and my Jag-stang and Tele
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

These are the easiest to use machine heads ever, they never slip either. Why don't you like them? Are you using them properly? I know it seems like a stupid question but 2 guitars I've bought second hand had then strung up similar to regular tuners, they weren't pushed into the holes at all.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

boooooo the split post rules....
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Supersonicman

Post by Supersonicman »

Thomas wrote:These are the easiest to use machine heads ever, they never slip either. Why don't you like them? Are you using them properly? I know it seems like a stupid question but 2 guitars I've bought second hand had then strung up similar to regular tuners, they weren't pushed into the holes at all.
They're a lot of trouble for me, especially since I use lighter gauge strings, and the High-e won't have enough tension with a load of wraps, and take too long for me to restring them. I probably am not stringing them just right, but it'd save me the headache from them. I have ordered these (http://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Strat-Vit ... p_349.html) and hopefully they work, everything looks fine.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

^you clip off the string ends before you put them in the holes. About two tuner's worth of distance is enough to give it proper slack (so you clip the G where it reaches the high E tuner while anchored at the bridge).

Funnily enough, you can get what you want from the real Kluson company (Fender use Gotoh on AVRI and Ping on imports/Squier CVs, as Kluson originally went out of business in the '70s).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kluson-6-In ... tads-plaid

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

paul_ wrote:^you clip off the string ends before you put them in the holes. About two tuner's worth of distance is enough.

Funnily enough, you can get what you want from the real Kluson company (Fender use Gotoh on AVRI and Ping on imports/Squier CVs, as Kluson originally went out of business in the '70s).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kluson-6-In ... tads-plaid

even with modern tuner posts u should be cutting the string to size first-- basically impossible to keep anything in tune with a big wad of shit flopping around on the peg
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I cut strings on modern pegs after I've fitted it and wound it up to reasonable tension, otherwise I'd have to hold it juuust inside the peg while winding and then probably cut it again?
I know how much slack to give it for 3-4 winds so trimming it beforehand wouldn't really make a difference/might fudge it.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

paul_ wrote:I cut strings on modern pegs after I've fitted it and wound it up to reasonable tension, otherwise I'd have to hold it juuust inside the peg while winding and then probably cut it again?
NOooooooo theres like a hundred youtubes on how to do this properly i'm looking for a good one right now
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

paul_ wrote:I cut strings on modern pegs after I've fitted it and wound it up to reasonable tension, otherwise I'd have to hold it juuust inside the peg while winding and then probably cut it again?
I know how much slack to give it for 3-4 winds so trimming it beforehand wouldn't really make a difference/might fudge it.
ok skip the part where he is wiping everythign down with oil and start at 3:00
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Oh I string vintage/reissue pegs exactly like that, I meant non-slotted ones by "modern", like the [now that I think about it] equal-vintage Kluson styled pegs on my Gibson-types for example.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

paul_ wrote:Oh I string vintage/reissue pegs exactly like that, I meant non-slotted ones by "modern", like the [now that I think about it] equal-vintage Kluson styled pegs on my Gibson-types for example.
oh yeah-- i use the 2 post rule for modern strings too b/c its just faster and i hate getting 2 many winds
NickD

Post by NickD »

brainfur wrote:
paul_ wrote:Oh I string vintage/reissue pegs exactly like that, I meant non-slotted ones by "modern", like the [now that I think about it] equal-vintage Kluson styled pegs on my Gibson-types for example.
oh yeah-- i use the 2 post rule for modern strings too b/c its just faster and i hate getting 2 many winds
I use the two post rule as well
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

NickD wrote:
brainfur wrote:
I use the two post rule as well
Another one here too! I much prefer kluson style over new style tuners also.
WayToHip

Post by WayToHip »

I mainly play bass but anyway, I use the "3 fingers" rule, which is 3 fingers beyond the tuning peg is where I cut my strings. i have never owned a guitar or bass that didnt have the split tuning peg design. its a hella easy concept to figure out.
meltedbuzzbox

Post by meltedbuzzbox »

Split posts are king!
honeyiscool

Re: I need cheap vintage style klusons without the split pos

Post by honeyiscool »

Supersonicman wrote:I just can't get along with that Safe-T post design on my Jag-Stang. I need a somewhat cheap alternative that will drop right in with posts similar to (http://www.puresalemguitars.com/models/reverberation/). Any one know of any machines without that design? It'll make life much easier for me and my Jag-stang and Tele
While I agree that yes, learn to use them properly, Wilkinson makes their EZ Lock tuners for Klusons, and they're relatively cheap and of very good quality. However, it seems like they're impossible to find right now.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
As Can Be

Post by As Can Be »

[youtube][/youtube]
As Can Be

Post by As Can Be »

luciguci

Post by luciguci »

is this a robroe
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)