NGD - Surf green partsguar

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

HNB

Post by HNB »

The Squier VM's are AVRI size. :) US guards will fit. I have a vintage tortoise guard on my Squier.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Oh. No one was really complaining about it. I just didn't really care for the vm Jaguar neck. It is too fat. Also I had that Modern Player jag neck laying around. You should check out offset, there are soooo many headstock refinishes going on over there with fender logos lol.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

HNB wrote:The Squier VM's are AVRI size. :) US guards will fit. I have a vintage tortoise guard on my Squier.
Awesome, good to know, thanks! Really kind of bizarre the bodies are built to AVRI spec, but at least that leaves me some options if I don't end up making a pickguard.

Question for anyone who owns a VM Jaguar, are the electronics as noisy as some people say? Or rather, are they worth replacing? So far as I can tell, they have Alpha pots and Switchcraft switches, which aren't bad in my experience. Same as the MIJ/CIJ Jags IIRC.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

My neck pickup is a little microphonic (which I actually like, it comes in handy for feedback) and i get a little buzz when my hands arent on any metal parts, even with both pickups on. In fact, it gets a little louder when both pickups are on. It usually doesnt bother me. In my opinion, you probably only need to replace the pots, the switches seem fine.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€โšง๏ธ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ (she/they)
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

I liked the electronics in it when I had it stock. I just wanted a humbucker. I love the switches that came with it. They're really low file. Let should of had these on his mustangs haha
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
apreswho

Post by apreswho »

As HNB Mentioned, the Squier VM series are the same measurements as AVRI/US guards, so thats the way to go. My vote is for mint, BTW. Black covers/knobs/switches though, just saying!

I personally think the mastery stuff is just as good as staytrem, and i've found mastery, though fewer individual saddle adjustments, to intonate just as well as anything. If cash werent an object i'd say its purely a question of vintage vs more contemporary aesthetics. But ANYWAY

I think the mosrite pickups are a really cool idea, cant say i've seen people put those in much of anything else. Looking forward to the completion of this project!
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Posting about my old Jag in HNB's LE Jazzmaster thread reminded me I never posted what happened with this one. I modified the black guard to (roughly) fit US / VM dimensions. Then in early 2015, I joined a band where the other guy was using a KC Jag, and thought what the hell, why not do an hambucker in the bridge of mine? It was routed for it. I don't really care about the condition of that black pickguard, so I filed it out to fit the HB. That required use of black shit around the pickup to cover the longer Jag pickup hole, but whatever.

The HB in it now is a late 70s Gibson pickup reading around 7.4K. It's very obviously not F spaced, but I don't care because it sounds fantastic. Unfortunately it's out of phase with the neck pickup, so I've gotta figure that out. I can't remember if one of the AVRI pickups is RW/RP, but if so, maybe I could swap the neck pickup for the bridge.

Anyway I've played it a lot lately and I'm now remembering the quirks of the Jag / JM trem. Bridge won't stay in place and rattles like mad. The trem is from a Blacktop and it works alright, but I might upgrade to AVRI anyway. It feels cheap compared to better options. Also I wish there were shorter arms. The stock one goes right up by the toggle switch and I've gotta be careful not to hit it. Also also want to stain that bright white arm tip to match.

Color is hard to photograph. Not quite as green as it looks here.

HNB

Post by HNB »

Sexy!
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

really cool
Grant

Post by Grant »

Yes. Good. Very good.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Niiiiiice
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Dillon wrote: Bridge won't stay in place and rattles like mad.
Electrical tape innit.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Thanks guys! After a good setup, it's my favorite guitar I have in standard tuning.

I've done the electrical tape thing before, but I think this time 'round I want to do something a bit more classy. Quite surprised to see that
StewMac now sells what looks like a decent upgrade for cheaper than any other option. The trem even has a lock.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Dillon wrote: That required use of black shit around the pickup to cover the longer Jag pickup hole, but whatever.
THIS IS A SIZE 29 POST, MY DUDE
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

:lol: I actually don't mind it because it's black on black. And it's a metal ring so it doesn't look quite so cheap. Doesn't stick out as much as *amber*

Can't find an HS pickguard anyway so I'd have to custom make one. Or take my chances on a Warmoth one fitting.
HNB

Post by HNB »

Imagetip by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Wow, this Jag is just a sweet looking guitar
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

HNB wrote:Imagetip by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
Amber tip aside (looks like a gross septic zit in that context), that is BYOOTYFUL, like Buckethead's LP
finboy

Post by finboy »

Fantastic job, I wouldn't sweat the fender logo on a patscaster, so long as you don't pass it off as a fender I never understood the hoopla :lol:
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Outstanding! I love your choice of zebra humbucker for the bridge. The white part of the bucker complements the white Jag pickup while the black part of the bucker fades into the black pickguard. I could imagine that from a distance someone might have a difficult time distinguishing it as a humbucker and wonder "how the fuck is he getting that fat sound from a Jag pickup?". The black pickup ring looks fine on this guitar. It would look shit if it were a white or light colored pickguard, but it works for this guitar. Great job! I love it!
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister