NGD - Surf green partsguar

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Dillon

NGD - Surf green partsguar

Post by Dillon »

Yep, I bought this thing. VM body, Modern Player neck. I thought I remembered a thread being posted on it but didn't remember all the drama. Haters. Except, I bought it with the original Squier pickguard, and it's missing a bridge pickup, and wiring. Looking like this.

My plan was to just buy some AVRI or Duncan pickups, wire it up, and call it good (which I may still do), but then I remembered that I have a pair of Mosrite pickups I've been itching to put in something. I think those would be a nice complement for the Jaguar, and it wouldn't cost me anything. I'd just have to route for them. Which is fine, because it needs shielding and wiring anyway, meaning I have to take everything apart. I also have a black Jaguar pickguard in my parts drawer. Shitty paint mockups

They look like P90s there, but they're actually a bit larger, and sound more like a JM pickup. Forgot to change the trem tip color...and I would probably do witch hats. I think I like the white pickguard better, but black would be different.

I also have no idea what I want to do with the rhythm circuit controls. I almost never used them on previous Jags. Have any clever ideas?
Last edited by Dillon on Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

White fo sho
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
meltedbuzzbox

Post by meltedbuzzbox »

I am leaning towards white but I dont think black looks bad at all
YuriK

Post by YuriK »

I say black cuz its less common. Both look awesome though
Beau In Space wrote:I hear this guy uses a capo.
Josh wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU POUR WINE ON IT INSTEAD OF BEER.
euan wrote:stop trying to put guitar mojo arrows on yuri's dick
cur

Post by cur »

That is cool as shit! What's the story on the body?

Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Thanks! It's just a Squier Vintage Modified body. I dunno if there's a story behind it, other than I bought it off here. I honestly can't figure out what the trem is from though, it's the only one I've seen that's Fender branded, but has no lock. Also a trem arm I had leftover from another project---which I think is for an MIJ/CIJ trem---fits it perfectly, even locks in place.

Edit: Looks like the trem is from a Blacktop JM, Korean made.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Body is just a standard vm jag body I routed for a humbucker in the bridge. Trems a blacktop trem I got from HNB. You should get a warmoth bridge. Or a staytrem if you have the extra cash. It's what I was gonna do.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Man you aren't kidding, I just strung it up and the Squier Mustang bridge is unfortunately as awful as everyone says. The strings don't stay in the slots, and the low E string won't even intonate. Is there anywhere I can get a Staytrem bridge aside from their site? They're closed until the 24th. (WTF what kind of business shuts down a website due to a building relocation?) I've never tried a Warmoth Mustang bridge, but I'd almost rather try my hand at drilling and threading adjustment screws into the Fender Mustang bridge I have. That or just buy Graphtech saddles.
George

Post by George »

Something in my head is saying pearl but I guess that might look to dressy
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

MINT PEARL!!
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

I heard the warmoth bridges are pretty good. I do enjoy my staytrem bridge on my starcaster though. You gotta make sure to get 9.5 radius. And yeahhh I had that problem too. There site was down months ago as well. I bought one off someone on OSG. I just made a wanted to by post.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

I once spent a very pleasant hour on the phone with John Staytrem back when he was starting out. He strikes me as an older guy who is running this business and also holding down a normal life, so I guess he has himself some downtime when needed. I simply cannot speak highly enough about him and the stay trem Jag arm I got from him (custom made to fit a CP jag - the first he'd done).

Worth the wait yo.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Yeah I would go staytrem over mastery. I've seen a lot of the staytrems last longer on OSG and the masters are too expensive.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

They also look HEEEEEDIOUS
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Agreed. There's not much intonating or adjustment screw slippage with a staytrem either.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I always like tortoise on surfgreen. 8)
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Tort on surf green is my fave, but the black looks pretty good too.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

By the way, what is the drama?
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Oh it was just that people were accusing you of paul1k-ness because of putting a Fender neck on a Squier :lol:

Well, it turns out that the Squier pickguard is a different shape entirely than an MIJ/CIJ Fender. Or rather, the plates are in slightly different locations. So, can't use the black pickguard I have. But, it DOES look kind of nice with white Jag pickups.

I also can't use the Squier pickguard to mount the Mosrite pickups, because the pickup holes are wider than the mounting points of the Mosrite pickups. I could use a mounting ring, but it would cover up the pickguard screw holes. So, I ordered some AVRI pickups off Amazon of all places, $80 brand new for a pair, couldn't pass that up.

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

That black guard looks awesome