NAD Ampeg GVT5H... now with Vox V112-NT cab

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

othomas2

NAD Ampeg GVT5H... now with Vox V112-NT cab

Post by othomas2 »

So, Despite not having any money... I put a cheeky 'Best offer' on an Ampeg GVT5H amp and it was accepted.

Problem is, I don't have a cab for it... and would like to play the thing asap.

So I was wondering.... I have a Classic 30 and don't want to part with it.

Is there anyway I can hook this up to the internal speaker of this amp, even temporarily. I exchanged the stock speaker with a Vintage 30.

From what I remember the speaker has two terminal tabs (snap clip connections) which are wired to the internals of the circuit board of the amp.

Anyways around this ? Any special cable that can make this work ? or a missed opportunity I've neglected to think about ?

cheers
Owen
Last edited by othomas2 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

my excelsior has a hidden internal speaker jack that you can unhook the speaker easily to run the amp into other cabs. or use the 15 with other amps.

http://www.fender.com/news/tech-talk-us ... lsior-amp/

read this short article fender made for it and re-check your amp for one.
dots wrote:incesticide
George

Post by George »

If the ohms match yeah. You will need to buy a separate speaker cable, but changing speaker lugs round is real easy so swapping between each amp through the same speaker should be fine

One like this see

othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Cheers robroe, will look into that.
George wrote:If the ohms match yeah. You will need to buy a separate speaker cable, but changing speaker lugs round is real easy so swapping between each amp through the same speaker should be fine

One like this see

That is the very badger I've been looking for !!! I tried searching for such a thing and didn't know if it even existed, or could be done, but that's what I had in mind.

What can search for to bring up results for this ? and purchase....

thanks a lot !!
O
tenderstems

Post by tenderstems »

if you want to do it super ghetto you can attach two of those spade terminals to the speaker and then run some wire to a $1.50 output jack and then just use a speaker cable from the amp to the classic 30 speaker.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

... Happy to buy just can't find anythin on my general search...
George

Post by George »

If you search "combo amp speaker cable" or "1/4 jack to spade" or some variation you get some hits

eBay is worth checking. Lots of guys do it from home for cheap, neutrik parts etc but all I could find was this guy. I'd email him and ask if he'll make you a longer one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitar-amp-co ... 27d6d46da8
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Thanks George.

I found this one which I think I might just purchase:

2ft should be good.

http://www.soundunlimited.co.uk/product ... e_pw-p034t
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

George wrote: eBay is worth checking. Lots of guys do it from home for cheap, neutrik parts etc but all I could find was this guy. I'd email him and ask if he'll make you a longer one

Actually going for your suggestion, to save a few pennies... and have contacted the seller about adding another 20cm. Hopefully he can sort me out.

Another query... I was looking on the back of the amp and there are a few spare spade connections available on the actual speaker itself.

Rather than pulling off the others and replacing with this new cables spades (to join to the amp head)... is it safe to join them to those spare ones ?

and if so, would it be fatal if I accidentally switched on both amps for example ? ... or is that ok too.

Would just save dicking with the others that are already fixed, and maybe mean I could play both amps independently without faff ?

Here is what I mean...

George

Post by George »

I don't know to be honest. It would definitely be easier if its safe to do
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Cheers, yeah... I'm not sure it's worth the risk, even if they wont be used at the same time.

Running two amps together through a single speaker could affect numerous things I'd assume... and just not the 'right' thing to do.

I'll just remove the others and plug in fresh just to be sure.

If anyone can say for definite it'd be greatly appreciated.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

I ended up going for the Planet Waves cable because I know their products are good and can alway get it switched out at work if it goes faulty. Could have ordered through work too if I wasn't so impatient haaa..

Anyone able to confirm whether is safe using all four spades ? independently using two amps via one speaker... ? ... even out of interest if nothing else.

cheers
O
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I guess so, but I'm not entirely sure. Is the speaker hardwired to the peavey?
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

How much did you pick this up for? I'm really liking my GVT15H for home use, it's got more than enough volume for what I want it for but still sounds good with the volume down.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Gabriel wrote:I guess so, but I'm not entirely sure. Is the speaker hardwired to the peavey?
Yas it is... I will probably just remove and tape up the spade connections while I use the Ampeg.

All I can think is it could mess with the ohms rating maybe ? ... and generally not the done thing, especially operating two amps at the same time... which I wouldn't do anyways.
Last edited by othomas2 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

johnnyseven wrote:How much did you pick this up for? I'm really liking my GVT15H for home use, it's got more than enough volume for what I want it for but still sounds good with the volume down.
Ah, cool. Didn't know you had one.

It was up on eBay at £109 + £10 p&p. I put in a late night drunken 'best offer' of £85 + £10 p&p and it was accepted. Have to sell my RC2 to fund it lol.

I just wanted something more useable at home, and something with a more biting clean. I tried one at work (the one you have) and it was a fun amp, maybe a bit hollow... but I didn't know about the baxendale EQ then, but def had it's own vibe going on.

Shame its discontinued now. If I like it a lot I'll probably sell the Classic 30 for something better(?) maybe the TH30 by Orange... and this will tide the gap till then.

That was half the idea, or not replace and use the money elsewhere on bills. No need for a 30 watter really as I don't gig... but they go for next to nothing secondhand, so I fear it's not worth selling at all. Plus, our TH30 at work has gone poop haaaa....
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Amp and & cable arrived.

Bloody good amp !! Chuffed to pieces. Don't think I've ever spent £85 in a better way.

lorez

Post by lorez »

£85 is a steel when you consider what else you can spend that money on, especially living in London
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Ideedy !! Managed to pick up a used Vox V112NT greenback cab from Nevada for £119 delivered.

So for £204.00, I got quite a nice setup. Sounds great, so many flavours from this thing, and could finally compare it properly with my classic 30 before it sells.

mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

othomas2 wrote:Ideedy !! Managed to pick up a used Vox V112NT greenback cab from Nevada for £119 delivered.

So for £204.00, I got quite a nice setup. Sounds great, so many flavours from this thing, and could finally compare it properly with my classic 30 before it sells.

Man, that's a great looking little setup. Should probably also work for a small gig.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10