squier vm mustang. opinions?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Benmurray85

squier vm mustang. opinions?

Post by Benmurray85 »

got a lead on what i reckon is a decent price second hand for one of these? (£150)

any opinions basically? do they need much working doing? parts changing? just trying to get a picture in my head whetehr or not this super cheap guitar is gonna need some stuff doing to it. coz i dont really have the time or the money :oops:

i hear great stuff about the vm range so im hoping to snap this up but i figure ss'ers will have a pretty decvent knowledge of these?

cheers guys
How Terribly Rock N Roll
Mike wrote:That's like honk squared. too much fucking honk.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Not played one, but based on the quality of my VM Jag, I'd say it's definitely going to be worth £150. Only thing I changed out was the bridge for a staytrem. If you are more patient, then the Std bridge can be fixed with some superglue and a bit of setting up. I'm always lokiong for the lowest action I can get too, which is part of the reason the I go for the staytrem.

WRT the sounds, the duncan designed in my VM Jag sound much better than my CIJ jag.

Buy it.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Similarly, I haven't played the Mustang but I own the Jaguar and it has become my main guitar. Everything was pretty much perfect when I bought it other than the bridge. The bridge is a piece of shit. I bought a cheap TOM for £10 and shimmed the neck. All fine and dandy.
so1om

Post by so1om »

sounds like a deal.. i hope it all works out for you.

bridge buzz? easy fix.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/so1o_m ... sort=3&o=0
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

It wasn't simply a case of bridge buzz for me. I had a couple of gigs where I had to stop midset and get out my allen key because the bridge was literally rattling to the point where screws were shaking themselves out.
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

Freddy V-C wrote:The bridge is a piece of shit. I bought a cheap TOM for £10 and shimmed the neck. All fine and dandy.
i actually like the look of the bridge so i was hoping to keep it but im happy to swap it out if its shit. can i ask why you had to "shim the neck" sorry if this is a daft question

i should point out this is unlikely to be a gigging guitar. just something to throw around my bedroom like a filthy mistress
How Terribly Rock N Roll
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

The TOM sits higher on the body than the stock bridge. Shimming the neck raised it up in order to meet the bridge so that the action wasn't crazy high.

To be honest the stock bridge will probably be okay if you're just playing it at home. And chances are you're not as heavy handed as I am.
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

ah ok i see. cheers

and unfortunately i am extremely heavy handed as well, even at home! haha its the only way to get good tonez
How Terribly Rock N Roll
so1om

Post by so1om »

Yeah, it's the loose tolerance of screw and fit that they allow for the build up of finish. Thats why some screws rattle out. Use some white glue, blue or purple picture, nail polish...just a dab on the threads. Some use Teflon tap, no big deal. Or buy high quality screws.. No more rattling out of screws. It's nothing new. These bridges have been around 50 years.

The shim increases neck angle, so you have to raise the bridge which increase break over between the bridge an tailpiece. Fenders been using a 0.070" shim at the neck heel of the 50th anniversary jaguars.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

I wouldn't let the bridge be enought to put you off. The price seems excellent, and the necks on the VM guitars are ace.

What colour is it by the way?
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

gusman2x wrote:What colour is it by the way?
not sure on the official colour but its the cream/white with tort scratchplate. i just love that colour with the tort and im not really a tort fan.

been a bussy old month for gear. got the gretsch couple of weeks ago, now this and put in an order for the bass vi thanks to your "help" gunsman. shortscale will be the death of my bank account
How Terribly Rock N Roll
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

gusman2x wrote:What colour is it by the way?
not sure on the official colour but its the cream/white with tort scratchplate. i just love that colour with the tort and im not really a tort fan.

been a busy old month for gear. got the gretsch couple of weeks ago, now this and put in an order for the bass vi thanks to your "help" gunsman. shortscale will be the death of my bank account
How Terribly Rock N Roll
HenryS

Post by HenryS »

The springs are kind of loose and it doesn't give the trem much wiggle room.
The saddles are too small.
It has duncan designed strat pickups in it.
Mine wasn't properly grounded and buzzed like the dickens with any amount of overdrive.

I put about $70 american in Japan 65 RI parts in mine, replaced the entire bridge and vibrato system.
Put gold foil tape under the pickguard.
Now it's just about as good as it can get and has pretty much become my main guitar.
2001 Epiphone Slasher
2003 Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore w/ GFS Mean 90's
2011 Squier VM Jaguar HH (sold)
1975 Alverez Acoustic
2012 Squier VM Mustang
1978 Fender Musicmaster
2012 Epiphone Firebird
George

Post by George »

MASSIVE chunky neck, doesn't feel svelte and fast like most offsets. quite sharp fret ends and a slab body. the bridge is probably the worst feature and plagues the entire VM offset range i think. fucking dire.

all these things combined make it a bit of a missed opportunity by squier (ofc some parts are changeable).

apart from that the quality of the thing is fine, and the pickups are passable, it's just ehh

all things considered, definitely worth checking out if you're after a mustang, but make sure you try one first and don't let your judgement be clouded by a very low price tag because i've got one gathering dust now