Custom Shop Mustangs NAMM 2013

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Custom Shop Mustangs NAMM 2013

Post by westtexasred »

Addam

Post by Addam »

I couldn't quite put my finger on it at first, but the white pickup covers and white pickguards mess ruin the aesthetic for me.
Kinda reminiscent of strats with lace sensors.
On the up side, no headstock truss rod access or stop-tail shennanigans.

In short, needs black pickup covers.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

They only made the ones in the photo. They were just for NAMM 2013. the Shell Pink Mustang just sold on ebay for $3500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Custom-S ... 1228103208

There is a Metallic Teal on Ebay for $3895.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Custom-S ... 1180076470
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

That pearloid looks horrendous. Aged cream pearloid or nothing.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
dren68

Post by dren68 »

westtexasred wrote:They only made the ones in the photo. They were just for NAMM 2013. the Shell Pink Mustang just sold on ebay for $3500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Custom-S ... 1228103208

There is a Metallic Teal on Ebay for $3895.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Custom-S ... 1180076470
Those prices are insane. I mean, they look nice, but there's nothing out of the ordinary on them whatsoever other than the custom colors. Why would someone pay that much for one, especially when you could make or assemble your own for a fraction of that? Just crazy...
markarkark

Post by markarkark »

Pretty much agree with everyone above - pickguards and covers look off, price tag is ridiculous.

Maybe I've gotten too used to the the shortscale crowd, but how comes everywhere else the Jaguar seems to be considered a 'grown up' guitar in spite of it's short scale, while the Mustang still seems to be seen as a 'student' model by Fender US and its patrons (esp the wealthier ones)? There seems to be a ton of high-end US Jag re-issues, and only this one, squiffy, Mustang effort outside of Japan.

The Jag is great, for sure, but I don't understand the disparity in attitude towards the two models.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

man, fuck you fender.
dren68

Post by dren68 »

markarkark wrote:Pretty much agree with everyone above - pickguards and covers look off, price tag is ridiculous.

Maybe I've gotten too used to the the shortscale crowd, but how comes everywhere else the Jaguar seems to be considered a 'grown up' guitar in spite of it's short scale, while the Mustang still seems to be seen as a 'student' model by Fender US and its patrons (esp the wealthier ones)? There seems to be a ton of high-end US Jag re-issues, and only this one, squiffy, Mustang effort outside of Japan.

The Jag is great, for sure, but I don't understand the disparity in attitude towards the two models.
It does seem like that, doesn't it. Sort of like the Mustang is the red-headed stepchild of the shortscale/offsets. Not sure why that is. Maybe because of its size? I don't know...
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Maybe because of it's bridge setup, which combined with the pickup switching does make it an overall more squirrelly experience than a Jag.
I'd say the few features it shares with the Mustang are probably a bit more evenly implemented on the Jag (obviously the kind of statement that is down to personal preference though). Scale length withstanding, they really aren't all that similar an experience; it's hardly the same guitar with a different body shape or anything.

Also, the Jaguar was never marketed as a student/entry guitar whereas the Mustang absolutely was. Jags may be shortscale, but they're big. Mustangs are thin and titchy.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

I find them very similar, and could use them interchangeably at gigs. I don't use the trem, and only ever use the bridge pickup, admittedly.
MMPicker

Post by MMPicker »

Somebody please explain to me, why would somebody pay that much for a "Closet Classic" Mustang, when *real* old Mustangs are readily available and far less costly?
Is there something actually different about these Mustangs? Aside for the color schemes which, as others have pointed out are not particularly attractive due to the white pickguards & pickup covers.

I just don't get it.

Regarding the Jaguar vs. Mustang question, IMO it's at least partly because that's the way the models were historically marketed by Fender, from the get-go. The Jaguar was created and marketed as the successor to the oh-so-adult Jazzmaster. The Mustang was created and marketed as the step-up student guitar, above (and IIRC intended to replace)the student-model Duo-Sonic.
danzigdan

Post by danzigdan »

Wow, that is a wall of Mustangs. I can't see anyone paying that much when you can go vintage for half-price.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

They have a couple for sale at Thomann. They come with a very nice set of tools, a good cable, and an expensive strap which probably slides off your shoulder.

red
sherwood
sea-foam

Although I 'm not sure why they include tools for something that has a great chance of ending up in a glass case.

Curious if the hardware is Japanese.
dren68

Post by dren68 »

Fakir Mustache wrote:Curious if the hardware is Japanese.
That would be my guess. I think all current Mustang parts are Japanese, aren't they?

Also, this all original '68 Competition Burgundy Mustang is listed on ebay for $3,250 (incl. shipping)

...while this Custom Shop Mustang is $3,945 (incl. shipping). :shock:

jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

they need black pu-covers or tortoise or black pickguards!!!
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

dren68 wrote: Image
Bit of a gorgeous purpleburst going on there!
ToneZappa

Post by ToneZappa »

Dont you think these custom shop guitars cost to much?
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

ToneZappa wrote:Dont you think these custom shop guitars cost to much?
Yes. Much.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Depends if you have the money.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

The necks on them look great.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.