Synths Pics

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

avj wrote:
aen wrote:Flipped the minibrute. Because Voyager.
Can't argue with that logic. I've been keeping an eye out for Voyager Old School models, which were closer to the Model D: no MIDI, no touchpad, no presets. Switched On has one for $1,800 right now and it's killing me.
Shit, that is a good deal, but presets and midi are important to me. I aim to use the beast live, and I dont want to be spinning dials between songs. The reason the Voyager is so perfect (for me) is that you have all the knobs available, and you can tweak to your heart's content and then SAVE that shit. Touchpad Smuchpad though. Who cares? THERES A KNOB FOR THAT.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Fuck. I could just about buy that Voyager OS. MAybe you should call dibs or somehting.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

I would've definitely already jumped up on that Voyager OS at Switched On if I hadn't already preordered an MS-20 mini. Shawn at Analogue Haven also had a used one last year that I had emailed him about, but I'm not sure what came of it, as he had just received it and wanted to look it over.

A synth without presets live is indeed a terrifying prospect, but I think I'm up for the challenge with the MS-20. Think of all the crazy shit people did (and still do!) live with the OG Minimoog Model D. Having presets on the Little Phatty is extremely handy for live use and consistent sound night-to-night, but of course the layout -- while extremely functional -- is not as tactile as a knob-per-function layout.

I'm terrified/excited to use the MS-20 live, as there's a real sense of urgency and tension and passion in knowing that everything could just go tits up at any moment and I better know what I'm doing. I'm not up there trying to program the FM piano sound on Whitney Houston's "The Greatest Love of All" from scratch on the front panel of a DX7 every night, I just want to squeeze some sweet, gritty balls out of a monosynth. Those balls may not have the same exact shape and color every single show, but they'll undoubtedly be my balls out there. I wear my balls on my sleeve up on that stage.
Last edited by avj on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

yeah I think of the old preset-less monosynths as something more like an electric guitar. when you think about it, the amount of switches, knobs and dials on a monosynth aren't much different than that of an electric guitar + pedals + amp.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

avj wrote: A synth without presets live is indeed a terrifying prospect, but I think I'm up for the challenge
My wife said "just buy it" and I did.

Also I can't stand the control (or lack thereof) layout on the Little Phatty. Sounds real cool, but tweaking/creating on it is kind of a pain. I'd flip it for a Sub Phatty, but my drummer seems awfully attached.

CAN'T WAIT TO TWEEEEEEAK. Also hook up all my CV ins and outs and make the synths play eachother.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

Mages wrote:yeah I think of the old preset-less monosynths as something more like an electric guitar. when you think about it, the amount of switches, knobs and dials on a monosynth aren't much different than that of an electric guitar + pedals + amp.
That's quite a fantastic comparison and approach.
aen wrote:My wife said "just buy it" and I did.
Shit, congrats! Glad to think I may have even provided a nudge to point you in that direction.

For me, another attractive element to the Old School is its longevity. After the computery, softwarey bits of the other Voyagers stop working, the Old Schools will live on at the hands of competent electronics techs. Your kids will fight over it some day.