Billy Corgan playing a Mustang

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

dren68

Billy Corgan playing a Mustang

Post by dren68 »

I stumbled upon this video this morning of the Pumpkins on a cable access show in 1988, and Billy's playing a Mustang. I've never seen him play one before, so I thought it was pretty interesting. Sorry if this has been posted before.

[youtube][/youtube]
George

Post by George »

I can't listen at work but I'm guessing this is when they were ripping off the pixies?
dren68

Post by dren68 »

Sounds more like the Cure. A LOT of chorus.
Paradigmforcosmos

Post by Paradigmforcosmos »

Sound rather new wave. Is the before he got the 70's strat that was later stolen?
Vad skönt för en skald att få sova.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i turned it off when he broke out the E BOW

that was like a minute in
HNB

Post by HNB »

I remember reading somewhere that he stopped using a Mustang because critics kept accusing him of trying to emulate Kurt Cobain or something. (Which still happens to people when they put a humbucker in a Mustang or play agressive rock on a Mustang.)

He has teh kurdtz...
MrJamesBrown

Post by MrJamesBrown »

I was mesmerized by this. In a "wow the Pumpkins really did used to suck" kinda way. Gives me hope!!
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

the second song wasn't bad. JC120s were pretty ubiquitous around then, that guitar sound was everywhere.
dren68

Post by dren68 »

HNB wrote:I remember reading somewhere that he stopped using a Mustang because critics kept accusing him of trying to emulate Kurt Cobain or something. (Which still happens to people when they put a humbucker in a Mustang or play agressive rock on a Mustang.)

He has teh kurdtz...
I've never heard that story. Makes sense, though. I was surprised when I saw it just because Billy's such a tall guy. I never thought he'd like Mustangs. That, and the fact that almost every time you see him, he's playing a strat.
dren68

Post by dren68 »

MrJamesBrown wrote:I was mesmerized by this. In a "wow the Pumpkins really did used to suck" kinda way. Gives me hope!!
Yeah, they definitely don't sound like the same band that wrote 'I Am One' or 'Cherub Rock' here. I've only made it to the third song, but mostly clean tones so far.
BoringPostcards

Post by BoringPostcards »

dren68 wrote:
MrJamesBrown wrote:I was mesmerized by this. In a "wow the Pumpkins really did used to suck" kinda way. Gives me hope!!
Yeah, they definitely don't sound like the same band that wrote 'I Am One' or 'Cherub Rock' here. I've only made it to the third song, but mostly clean tones so far.
It gets louder and more distorted and heavier from the middle of the set towards the end. Some really good riffs. Billy even shreds at one point. Sounds vicious on the Stang. Thanks for posting.
Det er mig der holder træerne sammen
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

I recall seeing them back then and thinking that they were alot older, but they were just kids. Funny how our perspective changes with time.

Thanks!
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Paradigmforcosmos wrote:Sound rather new wave. Is the before he got the 70's strat that was later stolen?
This video has been posted before but it's particularly useful in this thread. From 1:08 Billy tells the story of how the Mustang was his first "real" guitar and why he eventually abandoned it for the Strat. Chamberlin* sold him the 70's strat he got famous playing... probably wasn't too long after the OP's video was made.

[youtube][/youtube]

*Speaking of Chamberlin, what's up with that mullet?
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Also this... I used to trade Pumpkins bootlegs in the 90's and this was one of their first demos apparently. Gives some context for their early sound.

[youtube][/youtube]
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Now I got Chamberlin on the brain. This video is sweet.

[youtube][/youtube]
frettedlefty

Post by frettedlefty »

I honestly had to ask myself if D'arcy or that mustang was sexier. Fuck man, haven't gotten laid in over a month.

But I love that guitar.
"Without music, life would be a mistake"
paul_

Post by paul_ »

lol @ how chamberlain can't seem to wrap his head around 4/4 shit.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dren68

Post by dren68 »

singlepickup24 wrote:
Paradigmforcosmos wrote:Sound rather new wave. Is the before he got the 70's strat that was later stolen?
This video has been posted before but it's particularly useful in this thread. From 1:08 Billy tells the story of how the Mustang was his first "real" guitar and why he eventually abandoned it for the Strat. Chamberlin* sold him the 70's strat he got famous playing... probably wasn't too long after the OP's video was made.

[youtube][/youtube]
Cool. I hadn't seen that before.
singlepickup24 wrote:*Speaking of Chamberlin, what's up with that mullet?
LOL! Well, it was 1988. The mullet actually started out as kind of a new wave haircut in the early 80's (see Bono from Live At Red Rocks), but somehow it eventually turned into a redneck thing.
frettedlefty wrote:I honestly had to ask myself if D'arcy or that mustang was sexier.
I was thinking the same thing, but I'd have to go with D'arcy on that one.
dren68

Post by dren68 »

singlepickup24 wrote:Now I got Chamberlin on the brain. This video is sweet.

[youtube][/youtube]
I love Jimmy. One of my all time favorite drummers. I wish they would've shown more of Geek U.S.A. That one song is a whole drum clinic.
Paradigmforcosmos

Post by Paradigmforcosmos »

singlepickup24 wrote:
Nice. I had seen that video before but I had totally forgotten about the mustang story.
Vad skönt för en skald att få sova.