hi-fi speakers for computer

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

BYOB Kenobi

hi-fi speakers for computer

Post by BYOB Kenobi »

Is there anyway to use hi-fi speakers with a standard computer? The hi-fi speakers dont have an actual jack on the end, they are just plain wires (sorry, dont know the technical term).

would i need to buy some sort of device that allows you to properly convert the hi-fi wire ends into the right size so i could plug them in a computer?

thanks
R.A.M.O.N.E.S
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

you need an amplifier, then you take your soundcard output into the back of the amplifier like you would a CD player.
Shabba.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

i dunno where the nearest richer sounds is to you, but thats the best place to go, or check ebay for cambridge audio stuff.

you'll need something like that, speaker cable to connect your hifi speakers to it, and a mini-jack to phono cable to go from your pc to your hifi.
Shabba.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

he doesn't need the amp if he doesn't want it. if he wants to be ultra ghetto, a $5 - 10 cable from radio shack will do the job. just get a stero rca to 1/8" mini plug (male) adapter. cut the rca ends off and splice the cables together. the sound card only has like a 1.5 - 3watt output, but you will get sound.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

While he's at it he may as well ditch the central heating and sit next to a lit cigarette. It wont be as warm, but he will get some heat.
Shabba.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Hahahaha..

You won't get enough volume by running them off the headphone output. Just buy some cheapo hi-fi amp on ebay or from a garage sale, and run em like that.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Or if you already have a hifi with an aux in (most do, even if its a little mini system) you can use that.
Shabba.
BYOB Kenobi

Post by BYOB Kenobi »

cheers for the help guys. my hi-fi doesnt have an Aux in, so looks like i will need an amp. is there no way i could just buy lil adaptor thingies so it would plug straight into my computer?
R.A.M.O.N.E.S
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

bob wrote:While he's at it he may as well ditch the central heating and sit next to a lit cigarette. It wont be as warm, but he will get some heat.
your a lollercoaster. :lol:
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

BYOB Kenobi wrote:cheers for the help guys. my hi-fi doesnt have an Aux in, so looks like i will need an amp. is there no way i could just buy lil adaptor thingies so it would plug straight into my computer?
If you like listening to music quietly, I guess..
BYOB Kenobi

Post by BYOB Kenobi »

Doog wrote:
BYOB Kenobi wrote:cheers for the help guys. my hi-fi doesnt have an Aux in, so looks like i will need an amp. is there no way i could just buy lil adaptor thingies so it would plug straight into my computer?
pffft, nuts to that. thanks guys, how much are cheap amps for this type of thing?
R.A.M.O.N.E.S
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

bob wrote:While he's at it he may as well ditch the central heating and sit next to a lit cigarette. It wont be as warm, but he will get some heat.
hahahahaha! very true, but i thought i would play macguyver on this one. :lol:
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

BYOB Kenobi wrote:
Doog wrote:
pffft, nuts to that. thanks guys, how much are cheap amps for this type of thing?
ebay is your friend...search for a pioneer or sony amp with a built in tuner. I got a pioneer double cassette tape deck in mint condition for $13 on ebay, no lie.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

The one i posted a pic of is ?80 from richer sounds, i meant to post a link

here's a link
Shabba.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

BYOB Kenobi

Post by BYOB Kenobi »

thanks guys, unfortunately, i dont/cant buy shit over t'internetzzzz, so i'l pop into some audio shops tomorrow.

Cheers
R.A.M.O.N.E.S
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

I very much recommend richer sounds if you want anything of any reasonable quality. If you just want something cheap and easy go to your nearest cash convertor/cash generator/pikey pawn sop type place and spend ?15 or whatever
Shabba.
BYOB Kenobi

Post by BYOB Kenobi »

bob wrote:I very much recommend richer sounds if you want anything of any reasonable quality. If you just want something cheap and easy go to your nearest cash convertor/cash generator/pikey pawn sop type place and spend ?15 or whatever
for now, i will need to go down the cheap and quick way :( only because i need to get this sorted out in the next couple of days. but i will deffinately try richer sounds when i can get a better amp =]

thanks
R.A.M.O.N.E.S
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

you can get these 4 channel powered Nady PA's for like 40,50 bucks on ebay. its got RCA in's easy connection to computer. 1/4 jack outs on the back for your speakers. its 130 watts.

dots wrote:incesticide
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

if you found , get an AKG 141 Headphone

its have amazing quality , i was going bought one soon
Precise dwarf bravery