Project Bronco 3000

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Billy3000 wrote:Update:

I got the neck today! It looks awesome. It is really dark like Aug was saying, but I like it, it looks vintage! Here's a pic of it on the body. I have to assemble it all still. I don't know why I didn't try it out earlier, but I am going to have to sand the route for the pickup on the pickguard wider, because a pickup cover won't fit through it. I have to finish up some homework tonight, then I plan on starting on this guitar, and I probably won't be able to finish it tonight, but hopefully tomorrow I will be able to finish it!

I have to redrill for the straplocks, drill some new holes for the pickguard, put the bridge in, sand the pickup route on the pickguard, wire it up, then just screw it all together and string it up! I can't wait to get this thing rawkin!

I'm pretty sure I'm still going to get a Seymour Duncan Lil screamin demon for it, but for now I'm going to put a Fender Hot Noiseless in there. I also want to test out the original pickup to see if it works.
is that promise of gay-loving still available for all that fucking work? I need to be compensated. :lol:
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

DUDE sweet ! i love it! hurry more pictures!!! :) i can't wait to see it ready to roar
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I have to stop by Fat Sound on my way home from work this afternoon to get some pickguard screws, and an input jack, then I'm gonna try and get it all together and wired up tonight, so pics will come then!
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Oh come on, Billy. When I ordered my Tele pickguard, I already had the screws and equipaje to wire it up. You gotta stay ahead of the game.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

theshadowofseattle wrote:Oh come on, Billy. When I ordered my Tele pickguard, I already had the screws and equipaje to wire it up. You gotta stay ahead of the game.
Yea I was supposed to do that... but I slacked off instead... haha.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Billy3000 wrote:I have to stop by Fat Sound on my way home from work this afternoon to get some pickguard screws, and an input jack, then I'm gonna try and get it all together and wired up tonight, so pics will come then!
*grabs lube and a towel*
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

More Cowbell wrote:
Billy3000 wrote:I have to stop by Fat Sound on my way home from work this afternoon to get some pickguard screws, and an input jack, then I'm gonna try and get it all together and wired up tonight, so pics will come then!
*grabs lube and a towel*
Yes... this bronco will induce much masturbatory activity when it's finished!
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Oh yea... on another note.. all my packs of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings are in Greenville at my apartment there, and the store I was at today was out of them, so I bought a pack of D'addario 10's. So now I can compare the two to see what all you d'addario fans are raving about... even though I hated my only experience with their acoustic strings!
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Billy3000 wrote:Oh yea... on another note.. all my packs of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings are in Greenville at my apartment there, and the store I was at today was out of them, so I bought a pack of D'addario 10's. So now I can compare the two to see what all you d'addario fans are raving about... even though I hated my only experience with their acoustic strings!
10-52's? if not then you lose.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

More Cowbell wrote:
Billy3000 wrote:Oh yea... on another note.. all my packs of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings are in Greenville at my apartment there, and the store I was at today was out of them, so I bought a pack of D'addario 10's. So now I can compare the two to see what all you d'addario fans are raving about... even though I hated my only experience with their acoustic strings!
10-52's? if not then you lose.
Uhh... 10-46's which is the same as the EB regular slinkies I think.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

D'ADDARIO TENS ARE FOR THE WINS
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Aug, can you send me a picture of your wiring for the bronco you did? Or cowbell... either one of you. For some reason we don't have a bronco schematic in the wiki.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Billy3000 wrote:Aug, can you send me a picture of your wiring for the bronco you did? Or cowbell... either one of you. For some reason we don't have a bronco schematic in the wiki.
no schematic because it's so easy a caveman could do it.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

go to the wiki and look my Mustang wiring page. Do the pots and input jack the same (except you'll want to run a ground wire from both pots to the *other* tab on the input jack, and the one white wire and the two black wires will be pup ground, pup lead and ground wire from the shielding plates (if applicable).
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Aug wrote:go to the wiki and look my Mustang wiring page. Do the pots and input jack the same (except you'll want to run a ground wire from both pots to the *other* tab on the input jack, and the one white wire and the two black wires will be pup ground, pup lead and ground wire from the shielding plates (if applicable).
I don't have shielding plates... is that necessary? Do you have the pic anymore? I'm a visual person.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Billy3000 wrote:
Aug wrote:go to the wiki and look my Mustang wiring page. Do the pots and input jack the same (except you'll want to run a ground wire from both pots to the *other* tab on the input jack, and the one white wire and the two black wires will be pup ground, pup lead and ground wire from the shielding plates (if applicable).
I don't have shielding plates... is that necessary? Do you have the pic anymore? I'm a visual person.
then go to the wiki page, and the only two wires going into the "cavity" will be the pup wires. The ground will go to the pot body, and you'll see where the lead pup wire goes. it's really easy.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

I removed my bridge and slipped a bare ground wire under it and used that as part of my ground, it eliminated buzzing!
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

More Cowbell wrote:I removed my bridge and slipped a bare ground wire under it and used that as part of my ground, it eliminated buzzing!
I thought about doing that... I would but I already got the bridge screwed down and it was a fucking pain in the ass to do that! Should the floating bridge plate just kinda be loose right now until I get it strung up, and then I guess it will go in the grooves on the bolts right?

I probably won't finish it tonight, because the pickguard from Dazbootman sucks ass! The pickup route is too tight, and the width is off by like 1/16"!!! So I have to sand that shit down which is going to be a pain in the ass... or I could just go without a pickup cover for now.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

There is no ground wire going to the bridge? How are the strings being grounded then?
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

PenPen wrote:There is no ground wire going to the bridge? How are the strings being grounded then?
I have no idea, because there was no other grounding wire or anything.