Project Bronco 3000

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

robroe wrote:
Billy3000 wrote:
Sounds simple enough actually... it just looked like it would be harder than that. Haha... as long as I can get the pickup hole filed larger tonight, I should be able to get it all put together.

fill that shit with some lagger and lets get this shit on the road
The pickup hole is done, and so is the wiring. All I really have to do now is figure out how to get it to line up better, and run a grounding wire to the bridge. Then it's done.
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

I hope the stock pickup is the best you've ever heard in your life and the rest of the guitar has you so spellbound you can't even post :D

HURRY UP!
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Alright, it's all together now. It has some setup issues that need to be fixed before it's really finished. I tried to put a black robroe cover over the pickup but for some reason that required more filing of the pickup hole on the pickguard and I was lazy... also even though the pickup hole wasn't big enough for that cover, somehow that cover was too small for the pickup that is in there now... it makes now sense at all whatsoever. Whatever... this looks fine for now, I'll get a black one on there eventually.

I'll try to take some more pics of it later or tomorrow (I'm about to go out in a couple minutes so I don't have time to take a picture of it right now) but there is about a 1/16" gap between the body and the neck on the upper horn side. It's quite noticeable, and it's not the small gap that all you guys keep talking about, this is actually a really big noticeable gap between the neck and the body! It doesn't seem like it will affect it too bad, it just looks weird as hell.

I'm really pleased with how it's turned out, I love the way it looks!
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Oh yea, I had to drill a shit load of rust out of one of the screw holes in the neck! I was seriously drilling through rust so that I could get the neck to go on! It was ridiculous!
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Looks really nice!!!!!!

Don't worry about the gap at the upperhorn neck pocket, I could easily slide a quarter in my gap on that bronco I used to own.
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

that is a beautiful guitar dude! glad to see how well it came out. i bet it plays like a beast!
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

More Cowbell wrote:Looks really nice!!!!!!

Don't worry about the gap at the upperhorn neck pocket, I could easily slide a quarter in my gap on that bronco I used to own.
Cool, that's good to hear! I was really surprised at how big the gap was.
Blazin420ChronicSkunk

Post by Blazin420ChronicSkunk »

Billy3000 wrote:
More Cowbell wrote:Looks really nice!!!!!!

Cool, that's good to hear! I was really surprised at how big the gap was.
Mine has that too. I put a really thick and small jazz pick in the gap, positioned so I could put the picks I normally use into it when I'm using my fingers. I dig the gap.
http://www.myspace.com/sonicbloomtheband
Greed is a bottomless pit
And our freedom?s a joke
We?re just taking a piss
And the whole world must watch the sad comic display
If you?re still free start running away
Cause we?re coming for you!
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Billy3000 wrote:Alright, it's all together now. It has some setup issues that need to be fixed before it's really finished. I tried to put a black robroe cover over the pickup but for some reason that required more filing of the pickup hole on the pickguard and I was lazy... also even though the pickup hole wasn't big enough for that cover, somehow that cover was too small for the pickup that is in there now... it makes now sense at all whatsoever. Whatever... this looks fine for now, I'll get a black one on there eventually.

I'll try to take some more pics of it later or tomorrow (I'm about to go out in a couple minutes so I don't have time to take a picture of it right now) but there is about a 1/16" gap between the body and the neck on the upper horn side. It's quite noticeable, and it's not the small gap that all you guys keep talking about, this is actually a really big noticeable gap between the neck and the body! It doesn't seem like it will affect it too bad, it just looks weird as hell.

I'm really pleased with how it's turned out, I love the way it looks!
thats badass!
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

It desperately needs a Robroe cover!
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

that sucks about the gap. that is something i try to avoid at any cost. I basically smashed jons guitar body cuz the gap in the neck would be enough to stick a fender heavey pick into, and of course i could have used wood to make the pocket tighter but that just kinda makes me feel cheap and dirty.
so billy, you like it or not, have you really "tested it" out yet?
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

The Gap is Normal on Broncos!

Mine had it, Aug's had it, Robroe's has it, etc.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

that's really awesome looking! nice
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

hows the d+? im thinking about buying one.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

i plan on getting a robroe cover on there eventually... I was just tired of filing it the other night so I decided to just stick with the one that came on the pickup.

I haven't gotten a chance to really test it out yet, I plugged it in with the two strings on there and it works, but the setup is awful, I 'm gonna have to play around with that for a while this week. I think I need to do some work on the frets, a couple of them are just sticking up a little high on the edges.

Could any of you guys post a picture of how high you have your bridge set?
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

when the trem plate/bridge is strung up and in it's grooves, it should be resting between 1/8" and 1/4" from the bridge cup. As for how tight you want the trem spring, I just tightened it up enough to keep the bridge plate perpendicular to the bridge cup.
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

More Cowbell wrote:The Gap is Normal on Broncos!

Mine had it, Aug's had it, Robroe's has it, etc.
I have 2 bronco. One has the gap. One does not. My Brown Bronco is perfect and one of the best guitar I've ever played. I just finished my Red leather bound Bronco (with the gap) and I'm gonna soon sell it.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

So I finally got around to taking the bronco 3000 up to my luthier friend in raleigh to ask him about what to do with the frets, and he said it's going to need another whole re-fret because the frets that are sticking up high, are sticking up because the slots on the fretboard aren't deep enough, so the slots will have to be re-cut and then the whole thing re-fretted again. He said he would charge $295 for that amount of work, and I went to the two other shops with luthiers that I trust and they both quoted me about that much too. I could attempt to do it myself but I really don't trust myself doing that with a vintage fender neck, and I really don't want to spend $300 on this fucking neck so I'm thinking I'm going to just sell it and try and pick another one up on ebay. This neck has just been too much trouble and too much of a money pit, so I'd rather just sell it to someone who knows what they're doing with it to fix it up, and then buy myself one in better condition.

I was hoping to finally get it up and playing in time for the ECMU, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. I might try and put the neck from my RI compstang on there for now so I can get it playing though. The mustang needs to be re-wired still, and I've been lazy with that, and I really want to get the bronco playing!
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Do that, and bring it to the ECMU! Only a 9 days!