Pickup Change

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

ZombieLloyd

Pickup Change

Post by ZombieLloyd »

Hi there everyone, I have a question I would like to ask you all. I have an ESP LTD V-50 which is my favourite out of the 3 guitars I own. I wanted to personalise it a bit so my question is this. What bridge pickup would go with it? It's got the stock LH-150 pickups so I want to change the bridge pickup. Also note that I am so poor I'm gonna have to sell my Epiphone 50th Anniversary Epiphone for about £100 to get the pickup and a decent soldering kit. I'm not begging for money like one guy tried to do here, that never works online haha. Anyway thanks in advance for responding.
chemistforhire

Post by chemistforhire »

If you love it, why change it?
As far as pickups go, I like tom anderson humbucker pickups.
ZombieLloyd

Post by ZombieLloyd »

chemistforhire wrote:If you love it, why change it?
As far as pickups go, I like tom anderson humbucker pickups.
I want to learn to change pickups, and I was planning on changing the bridge pickup to a Seymour Duncan SH-6b
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

ZombieLloyd wrote:I want to learn to change pickups, and I was planning on changing the bridge pickup to a Seymour Duncan SH-6b
If it's your favourite guitar I really wouldn't bother. Also the Duncan distortion won't sound a million times better than the stock pickups. If you really want to change the pickup I'd get an Entwistle pickup - something like the X3 or Nemisis would be perfect, and they only cost around £15. Also just grap a cheap soldering iron from Aldi or Wilkos and then pick up some lead free solder off ebay, that would cost you about £20. That would save you from selling a guitar.

Actually Aldi look to have a decent kit, including solder for £6.99: http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _27230.htm

Entwistle X3: http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?puid=X3
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Gabriel wrote:If it's your favourite guitar I really wouldn't bother. Also the Duncan distortion won't sound a million times better than the stock pickups. If you really want to change the pickup I'd get an Entwistle pickup - something like the X3 or Nemisis would be perfect,
+1 on this. I've got a Nemesis and it's surprisingly good. Lots of good things written about Entwistle pickups and the price is great. I certainly wouldn't splash out on a Duncan in your position.
ZombieLloyd

Post by ZombieLloyd »

Gabriel wrote:
ZombieLloyd wrote:I want to learn to change pickups, and I was planning on changing the bridge pickup to a Seymour Duncan SH-6b
If it's your favourite guitar I really wouldn't bother. Also the Duncan distortion won't sound a million times better than the stock pickups. If you really want to change the pickup I'd get an Entwistle pickup - something like the X3 or Nemisis would be perfect, and they only cost around £15. Also just grap a cheap soldering iron from Aldi or Wilkos and then pick up some lead free solder off ebay, that would cost you about £20. That would save you from selling a guitar.

Actually Aldi look to have a decent kit, including solder for £6.99: http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _27230.htm

Entwistle X3: http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?puid=X3
Thanks for the help :)
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

Thom wrote:
Gabriel wrote:If it's your favourite guitar I really wouldn't bother. Also the Duncan distortion won't sound a million times better than the stock pickups. If you really want to change the pickup I'd get an Entwistle pickup - something like the X3 or Nemisis would be perfect,
+1 on this. I've got a Nemesis and it's surprisingly good. Lots of good things written about Entwistle pickups and the price is great. I certainly wouldn't splash out on a Duncan in your position.
You're a good man, Thom. I own the dimarzio version known as the "Crunch Lab" and it is indeed awesome.

wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

Thom wrote: +1 on this. I've got a Nemesis and it's surprisingly good. Lots of good things written about Entwistle pickups and the price is great. I certainly wouldn't splash out on a Duncan in your position.
Maybe I could put 3 of these in my Les Paul?
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

wwrrss wrote:
Thom wrote: +1 on this. I've got a Nemesis and it's surprisingly good. Lots of good things written about Entwistle pickups and the price is great. I certainly wouldn't splash out on a Duncan in your position.
Maybe I could put 3 of these in my Les Paul?
I wouldn't recommend that. Dimarzio makes the liquifire which sounds great for the neck position. I'm assuming entwisle has a similar neck humbucker.
ZombieLloyd

Post by ZombieLloyd »

I've never heard of Entwistle but I have had a look and I'm interested in the X2. There's one on ebay right now for 11.99 so I'll get that when I can
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

ZombieLloyd wrote:
I've never heard of Entwistle but I have had a look and I'm interested in the X2. There's one on ebay right now for 11.99 so I'll get that when I can

Infact i'll be getting my half bar pickup switch party on myself soon.

ZombieLloyd

Post by ZombieLloyd »

JJLipton wrote:
ZombieLloyd wrote:

Infact i'll be getting my half bar pickup switch party on myself soon.

I hope you enjoy them. :) Thanks for the help too
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

I think compared to most modern guitarists neither can be said to be overly technical. I consider phil x in particular to be more of a classic rock guy.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

JJLipton wrote:I think compared to most modern guitarists neither can be said to be overly technical. I consider phil x in particular to be more of a classic rock guy.
LOL
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

ekwatts wrote:
JJLipton wrote:I think compared to most modern guitarists neither can be said to be overly technical. I consider phil x in particular to be more of a classic rock guy.
LOL
Let's keep in mind i consider eddie van halen to be a classic rock guy. Phil x is very evh.