So, what SS Guitar should I get?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

xrleroyx

So, what SS Guitar should I get?

Post by xrleroyx »

I've got an AVRI JM and a USA Strat.

I've owned a VM Mustang, and liked it, but the quality was lacking in my particular model.

I've never owned a Jaguar before, and if I get one it'd probably have to be the single coil version.

I'm going to use it in my band. Our music is here: dharmaforone.bandcamp.com

So, it'll be used in that general style. I won't be able to afford a new guitar for awhile, but I also wouldn't mind getting another Squier. Don't think forking over the cash for a vintage USA 'stang or an AVRI Jag is in my near future.

Also thinking of the older student models like the bronco and the musicmaster.

Any suggestions?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

get a Used AVRI Jaguar.

see the thing is, you've already got really good quality guitars. every thing else you play is going to feel like shit after the "I GOT A NEW GUITAR" feeling wears off after a month or so.

i have owned at least 40 guitars in the last 10 years and the only one I play anymore is my AVRI Jaguar. Its been this way for 2 years now.

they come in any color you want and if you wait long, search the correct places you can get one for 800
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

robroe wrote:get a Used AVRI Jaguar.
for single-coil, high quality, comfortable guitars, yes, this is the least expensive route. i don't want to start a cij/mij/mim vs. american-made debate, either cos i've played both. nothing against the other builds, i like them fine. BUT they just do not compare imho. robroe, king of the squiers, fell in love with an american jag and had to get one. this speaks volumes.

but if you can also get builds made by any of the other factories that play really nice and sound great.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

somewhere theres like a 12 minute video of me running around Al's entire back yard with DOTS AVRI jag, fucking up robOG with it, knocking over garbage cans with it, kinda playing sondz with it
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

FOND IT

[youtube][/youtube]

im sure everyone was sitting around just waiting for me to break it.

NEVER HAPPENED.

YOU ARE WATCHING A DRUNK UNDER CONTROL AND FALLING IN LOVE
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

so THAT'S how my guitar strap got put up so high! =]

that was a great albq. . . shit, it was almost a year ago now. fuuuuuuuuuuu
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

that was 3 years ago
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

you guys threw me a hell of a birthday party this year though

i will be in fucking New Jersey at Newark Airport on my birthday again in January
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

oh shit, that's right. i get the q's and visits mixed up. old age and all that. now i remember, though. . . that was the one when rob_og, arsecake, lightrail, cowbell, and rainbow butthole was there. hly sht time flies.

and that's right, i put those flatwounds on the jag before you showed up cos they were the heaviest strings i had. they're still on there and sound great!
Last edited by dots on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

robroe wrote:get a Used AVRI Jaguar.

see the thing is, you've already got really good quality guitars. every thing else you play is going to feel like shit after the "I GOT A NEW GUITAR" feeling wears off after a month or so.

i have owned at least 40 guitars in the last 10 years and the only one I play anymore is my AVRI Jaguar. Its been this way for 2 years now.

they come in any color you want and if you wait long, search the correct places you can get one for 800
I think the new Squier VMs are really cool, but their is no way they will compare with my AVRI Jaguar or my vintage Mustang or Bronco. I don't consider myself a gear snob, but I know what I like and it tends to be better quality instruments. I got my AVRI Jaguar for $700 on Guitar Center's used website I would keep an eye open there because deals pop up all the time, many often mismarked too low.

You might snag a Musicmaster or Bronco. The Bronco I got was listed for $600, but I traded an amp for another amp for the guitar.

Robroe's jaguar is Fiesta Red, which makes it one of the sexiest Jaguars available.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
moore65

Post by moore65 »

You could build a parts-Mustang pretty cheap:
Vintage (!) body from ebay= $200 (w/shipping)
Maple neck from Warmoth= $160
1 RI Mustang + Seymour Duncan pickups= $110ish
Pickguard= $30ish
Tuners= $50ish
Bridge + trem= $80ish
Pots + switches, etc.= $20ish

So I'm guessing like $700 with shipping on everything. You can always go cheaper if you make the pickguard yourself, use cheaper (GFS) tuners, use a Gotoh bridge instead of a Fender.
Bronco Bass
Squier Strat w/Hot Rails,
flea market nylon classical,
Ibanez bass w/Quarter Pounder X 2
Union Jack DC Epiphone LP
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

or spend 100 more for an american made professional quality guitar not made of cobble
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

robroe wrote:or spend 100 more for an american made professional quality guitar not made of cobble
WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU DO WITH ROB "A BUNCH OF SOAPY SQUIERS" ROE
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
moore65

Post by moore65 »

robroe wrote:or spend 100 more for an american made professional quality guitar not made of cobble
Here's a real American made cobble guitar!Ebay
Bronco Bass
Squier Strat w/Hot Rails,
flea market nylon classical,
Ibanez bass w/Quarter Pounder X 2
Union Jack DC Epiphone LP
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Get a squier Mustang or a Duo-Sonic. Single coil-wise, the Duo Sonic is just a lovely guitar. get compensated saddles for it though.
Or if you want to spend big money get a real jag or Teh Kurdtz mustang/jag
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

the kurstz mustang is a complete waste of money. its a 400 dollar mustang with a 40 dollar humbucker in it.

at least the kurdz jaguar has its own vibe
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

theshadowofseattle wrote:
I sold all of them. even the 10 or so fenders I kept don't get played anymore because of the jaguar. this is going on like 2 years now. I don't think I'm going back
MMPicker

Post by MMPicker »

Deciding to get a short scale takes care of one fundamental decision.

But there are differences among the various short scale guitars about which people may reasonably differ, based on their personal preferences and needs. If I were you, I would start narrowing down by what else I wanted.

1) What neck specs do you want for this guitar? Vintage fingerboard radius and small frets like your Jazzmaster, or 9.5" radius and medium jumbo frets like your former VM Mustang? Do you plan on using it mostly for rhythm, or for lead, this may feed into the decision. You had both, do you have a preference?

2) what "sonic niche" do you want this guitar to have? Is it functionally replacing one of your existing guitars, or are you trying to add some sounds? And if the latter, what kind of sounds do you think might be best to add? Are you wanting a sharper, more stacato thing the traditional single coil Jaguar can provide? The option for the mellow sound offered by the Jaguar's rhythm circuit? do you like the Mustang's out of phase settings? If you want something a little more robust , maybe something other than vintage style pickups? Something thicker still, maybe a humbucker then?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

robroe wrote:
theshadowofseattle wrote:
I sold all of them. even the 10 or so fenders I kept don't get played anymore because of the jaguar. this is going on like 2 years now. I don't think I'm going back
wow, the jag-bug really bit robroe hard. nice! i don't think i'm ever going back, either. when i want some more snarl from my tones, i just switch to the hh jag w/ the p90's, but my main player is the avri these days.
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

robroe wrote:the kurstz mustang is a complete waste of money. its a 400 dollar mustang with a 40 dollar humbucker in it.

at least the kurdz jaguar has its own vibe
You mean a $900 mustang with a $40 humbucker in it? And a different bridge?