Practice Tips

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Gabriel

Practice Tips

Post by Gabriel »

I thought we could start a thread sharing some tips people have for when it comes to practicing the guitar (or any other instrument you may play).

I've spent this summer really knuckling down, trying to develop my ability to play the guitar. On a good day I've been able to spend 5-6 hours practicing - which is a little on the extreme side to say the least. But having spent so many hours practicing, there are a few things that I can share that have helped me practice effectively.

- Always start with a warm up

I've had strains and various other problems in the past due to practicing difficult pieces without warming up.

- Keep a practice log/diary

This has been the single most important change to my practicing. Ever since I started cataloguing my practice, I haven't found myself stuck in a rut again. I think the reason for this is you are able to see just how well you are balancing your practice regime.

- Practice regularly

Try to practice every day, even if it's just for 5-10 minutes. You'll keep your finger strength up, and you find yourself forgetting difficult techniques and phrases.

There are other points but I think these are the most important. It would be interesting to see if any of you guys have any other tips for practicing.