SuperSonic II (SonicStang?) COMPLETE

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

The more I think about it I agree I need to change that part of the pickguard, but I'm thinking bring it down then slope back sharper like the low E side of a Jaguar pickguard. I'll do some sketches on it tomorrow and see what I can do with it.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Okay, so here's the final version, body and guard all done. I'm still waiting for the neck to be finished, I ordered it on Jan 1 and emailed them around March 1 about it, and was told to expect it to be another 6-8 weeks. I'm kinda soured on them now, they do make really nice necks and I get that they are busy, but perhaps they ought to hire some more people or something. 4-5 months for an unfinished neck is kinda ridiculous.

Anyway, here's the body:

I'm really happy with how this design turned out.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

looks very good

going be Bluus laked place ?
Precise dwarf bravery
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Something close to lake placid blue, I'm not 100% final on that. I went to my auto store and browsed the paint selection and mentally noted a few colors of blue that I liked, but I am not completely positive yet. It's going to be a darker shade of blue, that much is certain.
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

Sounds cool
Precise dwarf bravery
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

It's the wrong way around.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

BobArsecake wrote:It's the wrong way around.
Fine.

BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

**happy**

Projects at this stage always make me 'cited.
Last edited by BobArsecake on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

That looks aceee. Paint it a metallic grey.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Neat! But I think a mustang plate would of worked better! :P
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Nah it looks great, a Mustang plate would be way too small for the body shape.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Interested in this of course, nice to see it coming along. Shame about the neck.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

That's a mustang bass plate right? I don't know. I just kinda find it weird how the guard and the plate come to a point and don't flow with the body edge. But it's still really cool and different.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Cooterfinger and I spent a while trying different placements for the plate before settling on that one, the issue is the roundover on the edge not allowing the perfect placement. However, I ended up liking that little point it comes to anyway. I didn't really want to deal with the issues of a Mustang plate either, you cannot get them left handed in the US and I wanted something more like the Supersonic plate anyway. I personally love how that part turned out.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

looks killer..
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

So, what's the word on sealers nowadays? Last time I used two cans of Deft Sanding Sealer and that seemed to work okay, but I remember readings something about epoxy? I did do a few runs of thinned out wood glue on it during the grain-raising process but I dunno if that substitutes for the sealer.

I've sanded the body down to flat with 400 grit, it's smooth as hell now, with several runs of water to raise the grain and then sanding that back out. At this point if I apply water to it the grain isn't raising anymore so I think it's ready for sealing.

Man, cooter did an amazing job on the body. It's almost a one-piece, or at least looks like it. He's a pro at matching that grain!
► Show Spoiler
Also, I'm still trying to finalize the color. The lighter "medium blue" turned out to be the exact same as Rhys' guitar that I've been working on, which is nice but not exactly what I'm wanting once I saw it on a body. I'm thinking something a bit darker, as shown on the sample. I have one more idea for blending the two to see how that turns out, just haven't cut a square and tried that yet to see how it would turn out. Might just do the darker blue shown here.
► Show Spoiler
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Okay, I'm getting straight up pissed off at Guitarmill now. We are now at about 20 weeks since I ordered and nothing. I emailed them two days ago asking for an update and pointed out it'd been 20 weeks, and nothing but silence.

I hate to say this but I cannot recommend them anymore. This is a bit obscene.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

What a pain - that is ridiculous.
In terms of the paint, the dark one looks really good.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

sucks about the neck, bro.

please do transparent dark blue. that grain needs to be seen. or i guess that dark blue cop car color.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Yeah, I did send another email to them and finally got a response. They say mine is almost done.

"Sorry for the slow response time, but we have been short handed and I have been in the back trying to help out. We do see that you are at the 15 week mark and are running a little behind but you are almost done. We should have you wrapped up within the next week or so.
I’ll e-mail you the tracking info as soon as it ships.
Thanks again for your patience"

I do understand being busy and stuff but I'm not sure I'll recommend them again.

And I dunno, the more I looked at Rhys' guitar the more that color is kinda growing on me. Just got my order of sanding sealer in the mail so I'll just figure it out when I get to that stage.