bedroom recording?

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Left_Hand_'Stang

bedroom recording?

Post by Left_Hand_'Stang »

ok here's the situation.

Laptop: Dell ATGD630 only audio line in is the mic input.

Amp: Blackstar HT-5 with Emulated output.

what I would like to do is record whatever i play through my amp on my laptop running reaper for the software. I then want to be able to hear what I am playing at the same time (a la headphones) in order to make sure I aint cocking the whole thing up.

Chances are I am probably looking at a mixer but budget, budget, budget is the problem....

so what do you guys say?

Cable from big plug to 3.5mm plug Amp.laptop direct and just hope for the best??

or get a mixer??
Left handed, but right minded....
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

I would recommend getting a USB interface.
Left_Hand_'Stang

actually just found this:

Alesis Guitar Link Plus
George

Post by George »

Googling your laptop model says you have a FireWire connection, in which case I would opt for a FireWire interface over USB because of latency.

You got something that looks like this on the side of your laptop?

Left_Hand_'Stang

similar

squarer with a little raised nobble on the bottom edge, says 1394 below it
George

Post by George »

Liek the one on the right?

If so that sounds like a different fitting of the same thing (just you'll need a separate power adaptor). I would suggest looking into FireWire if you want to do proper recording later on with mics and vocals and what have you. Otherwise you can't really beat that £20 device if it's what you need!

EDIT: To clarify

6 pin = proper firewire AND you can power the device direct from your PC/laptop
4 pin = proper firewire BUT you will need to have an adaptor and power the device from your mains
Left_Hand_'Stang

yeah it is the one on the right.

that's cool then!!!

also how much is firewire gear?
George

Post by George »

I would go used to be honest. I don't know the market and what's good at the moment but if you eBay "firewire interface" you'll get some options, and can probably get something suitable for cheap. Presonus Firebox is pretty well received. I have an Alesis IO14 which is great for the price. Edirol and M Audio have some good ones too.

It's worth googling guides to buying audio interface and reviews.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Make sure your firewire chipset is compatible, Texas Instruments (TI) chipsets are widely preferred, and with a laptop, you can't just pop in another firewire card if your chipset sucks.

If your just doing simple demos and not doing like 100 effects and shit all over the place, I don't think you'll have a problem with a USB interface. Firewire is actually being phased out as of a few years ago, but since it's become a standard for audio/video, it might take a while for it to be completely obsolete.
George

Post by George »

I didn't know that about chipsets. That said, being able to use effects while playing direct, particularly with things like GuitarRig make FireWire a pretty good choice for guitar.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

maybe firewire 400 is being phased out but firewire 800 is being phased in. and 800 is backwards compatible with 400 devices as long as you have some kind of cheap converter.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Left_Hand_'Stang

the usb will be fine, will order one on payday this week...
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Mages wrote:maybe firewire 400 is being phased out but firewire 800 is being phased in. and 800 is backwards compatible with 400 devices as long as you have some kind of cheap converter.
Firewire is old and is being phased out due to new technologies. It may take a while (especially in the audio industry), but it will happen. USB 3.0 and eSATA are already faster, while Apple is pushing Thunderbolt like a motherfucker.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/11/superspeed-us-1/
http://www.itworld.com/networking/20467 ... -and-esata
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

I'm really not sure that Firewire will ever be phased out in audio, due to the fact that EVERYONE is already using it. We're not really pushed for bandwidth when it comes to audio and Firewire still has advantages to USB 3.0. Too many big time companies have Firewire interfaces.

Anyway, I suggest Focusrite interfaces for something that meets the budget yet delivers great value.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
broomhandle

Post by broomhandle »

firewire is better, but USB is just fine if you have a newer machine.

for home recording you dont need fire wire, and like 90% of pc laptop do not have it. USB....
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

I bought the line 6 toneport thingy years ago when I knew arse all about recording using software (my teenage punk rock band had a 4 track that used cassettes) and the 100quid I spent on that was my total studio budget. It has served well over the years. It is everything you need in one box with out having to put any thought into it.

I'm only just now thinking around upgrading because I want to be able to record drums. But I did (more or less ) get away with one mic over the kit running into the toneport but that was back when we were folk kids, those days are over I'm afraid.
obscure pop culture reference
broomhandle

Post by broomhandle »

and... firewire 400 is phased out, apple had fw800 like 5 years ago, and ThunderB now.

you dont see new macs or even PC's with FW400....
Al_

Post by Al_ »

All you need is an adapter to get it to work though.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Exactly, Firewire 400 drives will be around for a while because so many people have recorded directly to FW400 over the past decade. You won't find new computers with FW400 slots but you can find a converter on Amazon for like $8. Much easier than trying to find a convenient way to move the data from your 400 drive to your 800 drive (both of which are likely larger than your internal drive).
thefullbrain

Post by thefullbrain »

I was given one of these for Christmas: Behringer Guitar Link (USB)

It's alright, but the latency is a massive pain in the bushes. Some settings tweaking might sort it, but I've not had much chance to play with it. It's small, light and easy to use, once you realise you have to have headphones or some other monitor in the line out.
I honk and parp in Kellar

http://kellar.bandcamp.com/ - You can click it now, there's an album there and everything.