NGD - Jaguar SH /JagBlaster(mods completed)

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

taylornutt

NGD - Jaguar SH /JagBlaster(mods completed)

Post by taylornutt »

I recently traded Young Haze an amp and some bits and he sent me his CIJ Jaguar HH (turned SS to SP(rail) and now just S) I strung it back up today and played it some. Feels so close to my AVRI Jaguar. The matching headstock is so sexy and the neck is amazing. I love the reverse mounted Mustang bridge that Haze swapped out for the old one. I usually don't like stickers on my guitars but the Apple one looks cool and I like the placement. I will demo the guitar after I finish my mods. I may tune it down a half step.

My plans for the guitar are:

1)drop a Fender Wide Range Humbucker in the bridge
2)Wire second switch as a phase switch
3)Restore strangle switch to working order
4)I am considering making a custom pickup switch panel (more like the rhythm circuit plate) to add more chrome to the guitar.

Pics
Last edited by taylornutt on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

needs moar pickups and less apple.

nice gitbox
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

are these crafted in japan too? whats on the back of the neck ? kinda looks like it
dots wrote:incesticide
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

robroe wrote:are these crafted in japan too? whats on the back of the neck ? kinda looks like it
Yep. It was a Jaguar HH special in its first life. Haze removed the ugly thick black pickguard and put a mint MIJ guard. I hope to order a Bridge pickup soon.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 0259200306

Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

wow looks pretty badass! black with mint guard = killer.

i'm "restoring" an '96 MIJ jag as well, as for now she looks like this:

i put an old super distortion (that used to be in my dad's SG Custom) in the big hole, and it sounds great!

Pat.
my name is Pat.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I think I have seen that Jag in the background of your recent demo. Love matching headstocks.

Haze flipped the Mustang bridge around mine and I saw the Fender Custom shop do it on a Jazzmaster. Is that a pretty common mod? It seems harder to adjust, but it seems to function better.

I think mine will look like this when it's done (minus the normal Jag trem)

taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

One observation about this guitar is the weight. I held it and my AVRI Jaguar and the Jaguar SH is definitely heavier. Probably the Les Paul tailpiece. I think I need some heavy duty straps for my Jaguars to help balance the weight. My Fender strap on my AVRI Jag is worn out on the ends from the weight.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

I dig it. If I were you, I'd glue in two screws in those vacant holes as an aesthetic thing.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

theshadowofseattle wrote:I dig it. If I were you, I'd glue in two screws in those vacant holes as an aesthetic thing.
Are you refering to the holes for the neck pickup switch that is now filled by the 3 way Gibson switch?

Maybe I could have a custom plate made
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

taylornutt wrote:
theshadowofseattle wrote:I dig it. If I were you, I'd glue in two screws in those vacant holes as an aesthetic thing.
Are you refering to the holes for the neck pickup switch that is now filled by the 3 way Gibson switch?

Maybe I could have a custom plate made
Yeah. That seems like a bit too much expense, but whatever works.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Haze

Post by Haze »

truefact-this guitar is freaking heavy. Probably 8 lbs or something. id put it up against a les paul anyday. This guitar ripped with duncan 59s, if you're into that sort of thing.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Haze wrote:truefact-this guitar is freaking heavy. Probably 8 lbs or something. id put it up against a les paul anyday. This guitar ripped with duncan 59s, if you're into that sort of thing.
When you think about the heavy Les Paul hard tail and the wood that is not removed for the Jag term, that will add up. Makes me think about putting in a Jag trem, but I am not sure it would work. I would have to move the tremolo plate a little closer to cover the hard tail posts. Drilling out the posts might create more headaches and body work and not really lighten up the guitar. I might try a Couch strap first.
Haze

Post by Haze »

that'll improve the toan

I broke down and bought one too :oops: they're SO NICE
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

I've wanted to play one of these for a while now. It might be my last hope of finding a shortscale I can play. What is a couch strap?
NJjoanjettfan wrote: Boy am I glad I got my Fender Lead II and Lead III when I did. I've even swapped off the necks to save the originals from wear.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

rlm2112 wrote:I've wanted to play one of these for a while now. It might be my last hope of finding a shortscale I can play. What is a couch strap?
http://www.couchguitarstraps.com/
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

taylornutt wrote:
rlm2112 wrote:I've wanted to play one of these for a while now. It might be my last hope of finding a shortscale I can play. What is a couch strap?
http://www.couchguitarstraps.com/
They are the best, I have 2.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Try switching out to Schaller strap locks; the larger barrel in the strap will help reduce the impact of the weight on the strap end, and not taking it off/on the button all the time will also add to strap longevity. Might even be able to just use the same strap you're using now.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Ankhanu wrote:Try switching out to Schaller strap locks; the larger barrel in the strap will help reduce the impact of the weight on the strap end, and not taking it off/on the button all the time will also add to strap longevity. Might even be able to just use the same strap you're using now.
I have Schaller strap locks on all my other guitars including my AVRI Jaguar. I will definitely put those on here as well, but a thicker strap will help as well.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

IGNORE THE CAT

LOOK AT THE GROLSCH STRAP LOCK

dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

I've seen quite a few guitars now with an apple sticker on the back. Why?