1983 Squier SQ Strat (updated with new pics)

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

rlm2112

1983 Squier SQ Strat (updated with new pics)

Post by rlm2112 »

When I first started playing guitar in 97, my guitar teacher had this guitar:

My friends and I always thought it was really cool, and looked really old. He used to always say "It's not what you think it is". He even offered to trade it for my first new guitar, an Aria Pro II Fullerton strat copy. I still regret not doing it, lol.

Well after doing some research on MIJ Fenders and Squiers lately, I realized what that guitar really was. It was a MIJ SQ series, which is based off a 70's strat. This is the second earliest run of guitars Squier ever made. The first is the JV series, that are based on 50's and 60's models. I also learned that these early Squiers were actually American Fender bodies and necks that were shipped to and assembled in Japan. I've also read that at least some of the bodies, even painted ones, are ash.

So I decided to build one.

I got a pristine condition neck off ebay first. Then continuing my streak of restoring kahler routed bodies, I bought this:

► Show Spoiler
It's a matching 1983 SQ body with MANY coats of paint on it. You can't tell in the pics but it actually has red metallic flake in the black paint. I was going to keep it black, but after seeing it up close it looked pretty bad. I'm sure the 1/4" of paint was smothering the sound of the wood anyway. Plus I'm curious to see if it's ash or not. So I'm in the process of stripping it right now. So far, so good!
Last edited by rlm2112 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
NJjoanjettfan wrote: Boy am I glad I got my Fender Lead II and Lead III when I did. I've even swapped off the necks to save the originals from wear.
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

It's stripped! It looks terrible cause it still has residue all over it.

► Show Spoiler
NJjoanjettfan wrote: Boy am I glad I got my Fender Lead II and Lead III when I did. I've even swapped off the necks to save the originals from wear.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

My brothers first proper guitar was a Fender Squier Stratocaster in that same colour, but with the big Fender and small Squier labels. It was the only guitar he played for almost ten years til it was stolen in 2001. Really, really nice guitars.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Steve!

Post by Steve! »

i got offered an SQ series squier bullet the other day for £250
was a nice guitar but weeeeird lookin
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

the guitar in the first pic is BANGIN
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

Steve! wrote:i got offered an SQ series squier bullet the other day for £250
Did it look like this?

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:the guitar in the first pic is BANGIN
I just found it with google. I wish I had one of his actual guitar. It looked totally vintage.
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

oh these guitars are SO friggin' great... i can't stop raving about them.

i have 2 of 'em - the hendrix white (rosewood) one and the edge (maple) black one. they only came in these 2 colors.
FUCKING AMAZING. i've had dozens of old strats but i kept these two.

i got them about 10 years ago, for about $100 a piece. people thought i was crazy paying that kinda $ for "just a squier". - SUCKERS!

fantastic all over, i tell you. all i had to do was to change the pup selector switch (which, btw, is the only non-70s-era-correct part on these; it's a 5-way)

for yer pleasure, here are me babies:

the black one was my main #1 gig and recording guitar when i was "in that biz". :D
good ole times...

Pat.

btw, they're deliciously light guitars - not like the 70s boat anchors! yum.
my name is Pat.
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

i used to have yet another white one, but it was too pus-yellow, so i sold it. went to the UK.

oh and yes... i used to have teh squier fever. BIG time!
:P
my name is Pat.
Steve!

Post by Steve! »

rlm2112 wrote:
Steve! wrote:i got offered an SQ series squier bullet the other day for £250
Did it look like this?

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
yep same as that except sunburst
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

Ok, I've been working on this thing for months now, and I finally made some major progress. After the last update I used "Stripper Wash" to remove the remaining paint residue. Then I filled the kahler route with a block of wood, and cut it level with the top. It ended up being lighter that the rest of the guitar, but it was the best match I could find at the hardware store.
► Show Spoiler
Then I filled the neck bolt holes, and re-drilled them for the 3 bolt neck.
► Show Spoiler
Then after a lot of sanding, I decided to try using Formby's Tung Oil finish on the bare wood. It ended up being too light, and it brought out a bunch of dark spots where I didn't sand deep enough. At this point I had used 100 grit and went to 150. So I decided to start again with 60 grit and go 60>100>120>150>220. After weeks and weeks of not doing a damn thing with it , I finally spent the last few days sanding it back down.

Here it is sanded to 220, ready for finish.
► Show Spoiler
The new plan is to use a darker stain, to hide the filled holes and block as best as possible, and then use the tung oil as the top coat. It will require a coat every 24 hours for 5 to 7 days, but it should build a nice high gloss finish when I'm done.
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

The next step was to use the "Pre Stain" so it would take the stain evenly. This is my first time using it, but I figured I better do it right this time.
► Show Spoiler
Then it was time for the stain. I was going to use Red Chestnut, but after trying four different colors on the "under the pickguard area", I decided to go with Red Oak.

It is NOT as red as these pictures make it look. It's more of an oxblood color. Here it is right after I applied the stain:
► Show Spoiler
And finally, here it is a few hours later. It lightened up a bit, especially on the sides.
► Show Spoiler
I'm going to let it dry overnight and start tung oiling it tomorrow!
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

Did the first coat of tung oil today. Here's the progress:

► Show Spoiler
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

kewl!

gonna get real 70s looking! gonna put a black or white guard on it, then?

Pat.
my name is Pat.
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

Thanks :) I have a b/w/b guard with fender noiseless pickups and cream accessories waiting for it.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Do you have any finished pics yet? Looks good so far.