cubase?

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

vivadeluxxe wrote:We managed to record our last demo round at the drummer's house.
Not to piss on your parade, because i do quite like it, but the acoustic guitar and drums dont exactly sound pro studio quality.

I don't mean to say that everything should sound the same, and lo-fi is wicked too.
Shabba.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

bob wrote:acoustic guitar and drums dont exactly sound pro studio quality.
agreed, but not a bad home-made effort at all.
bob wrote:please dont go saying studios are bullshit just because you cant afford them and you own an sm57 and a soundcard
SCIENCE
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

bob wrote: "functioning equipment" should really be replaced with at least "adaquete" or "reasonable quality".

I agree the studio is not a necessity, but i would add that in some cases it's certainly a benefit.
Troozors
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

aen wrote:WHy not? Have you no pillows? Does your home depot or whatever not carry PVC?

True enough, a studio is cool, and handy. But it's kind of like, maybe an USA DELUXE telecaster, wheras at home you can rock your own MIM standard, and get just as great a song, dig?

Plus you can spend oodles of time tweaking, and not worrying about the clock/pocketbook equation. Nobody to make shape your sounds into their visions, etc.
Why not?

Because my neighbours would lynch me. My drummer makes a racket. plus I don't have enough decent mics or outboard shit. My Audio Interface is good enough but I ain't got the scratch for the rest.

plus I fucking LIKE going into the studio. It instills a work ethic and there are no distractions.
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

bob wrote:Not to piss on your parade, because i do quite like it, but the acoustic guitar and drums dont exactly sound pro studio quality.
Er.. well I never suggested it was gonna sound like it had been recorded at Abbey Road mate... I was just making the point that you could conceivably record a live band at home with a limited amount of gear..

In retrospect, tracking the guitars in the kitchen was a pretty bad idea as they came out thin and tinny sounding, but we didn't have the time to go back and re-record.
We had to put the house back to normal before the drummers gf got back from her shift, and pretend like we'd just called over for a cup tea...
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

vivadeluxxe wrote:Er.. well I never suggested it was gonna sound like it had been recorded at Abbey Road mate... I was just making the point that you could conceivably record a live band at home with a limited amount of gear..
Nah i get that you didn't, I just wanted to reinforce my point from before. What AKG mic did you use? C3000?

I agree with your point about being able to do it with a small amount of gear, and get decent results too. I just disagree with the way some people take that to the next level and think of studios as redundant.
Shabba.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Mike wrote:plus I fucking LIKE going into the studio. It instills a work ethic and there are no distractions.
i love going in the studio. it's a place built for doing what you're going to do there.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

big sexy analog mixing desks ftw, this is what i miss most now im not at uni anymore

Shabba.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

dots wrote:
Mike wrote:plus I fucking LIKE going into the studio. It instills a work ethic and there are no distractions.
i love going in the studio. it's a place built for doing what you're going to do there.
+1.

it's why whenever you're in a male urinal at a rest-stop you just don't mind getting assraped. it's what those things are built for...male ass-rape.
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

bob wrote:What AKG mic did you use? C3000?
It was indeed a C3000. I'd never used one before. It didn't work too well as a drum overhead, but it made a really nice job of the vocals...

Overall I was pretty impressed by it. I've used 414s quite a lot in the past and the're not in that league, but then the're also an awful lot cheaper...
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

yeah 414's are wicked, great mic for the price, reasonably flat too. i definitely want to get one. ive been meaning to pimp them to mike as a mic he should consider to get his guitar sound as he wants it. i think he generally uses a close 57 and further back condensor, but a close 414 will get it better i reckon.

i used to use c3000B's (gold/silver one) back when i did a level (about.. 4 years ago) and i've used a c3000 (black one) a bit more recently than that. i have a passionate hate for the c1000's, but the 3000's are alright for the price for sure.

The vocal sound you got is quite nice, a tiny bit something, but i like it. did you use the c3000 for the acoustic too? it sounds like it couldve been because the high end has quite a lot of detail for the average dynamic.
Shabba.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I have an AKG C3000B. It's good on Acoustic and Vocals (and as an ambient guitar cab mic) but it's not great as a drum overhead. Get a pair of Joe Meek JM27's like me and Bob have for that, cheap and awesome.
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

bob wrote:The vocal sound you got is quite nice, a tiny bit something, but i like it. did you use the c3000 for the acoustic too? it sounds like it couldve been because the high end has quite a lot of detail for the average dynamic.
Yeah we used it on the acoustic as well... I think all the reflective surfaces in the kitchen may have contributed to the weedyness of the sound also...
I was gonna track it again close mic'd with an SM57 and put the other track with it as a bit of ambience... might still do if I get chance...

Yeah the 414 is good for all sorts of things.I wish I could afford one, I've only ever used ones belonging to the studio...
I've had great results using it for drum overheads, acoustics, vocals etc.
The only thing it didn't work that well on was a female vocal I recorded once, not too sure why, but I ended up having to use loads of eq afterwards to get it sounding decent...
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

I've only used a 414 on one female vocal, and it worked well, but it was quite a natural reproduction rather than a flattering one, so it wouldnt suit everyone. I cant wait til i can afford a small mic cabinet, I have a few picked out that im gonna buy, but i wanna get it all at once, so i got save a few grand first really.
Shabba.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Hooray gear lust!
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

bob wrote:I cant wait til i can afford a small mic cabinet, I have a few picked out that im gonna buy, but i wanna get it all at once, so i got save a few grand first really.
Cool, what's on your shopping list?
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

I'm really looking into those Audix drum mics. I found a great site with samples of different mics and the Audix ones are like "pre-EQ'd". They would be absolutely killer live - bam hardly any eqing needed!!!

You can get a sweetass kit of Audix mics for like $600. a great deal.
It has these:
d6
d4
d2 (x2)
i5
and all the clips and a case. WOW.

Also, if your looking for cheap SDC's for drum overheads; check the MXL 603's. I've got two pairs of them and I really like them. They're great on acoustic guitar as well.

One thing about overheads is that no matter how good the mic, those cymbals better be good. That metal band that's been here so much lately - their drummer had those goddamned Sabian B8 cymbals. They sound like damn trash can lids. 4 REAL. I'm not a drummer and I cringed when I saw those things float in here. wtf. I should take a picture of his set, you'll crack up - it's a huge rack and shit WITH SABIAN B8's. haha.

i couldn't help it. here's the pic:
Last edited by Sloan on Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

vivadeluxxe wrote:Cool, what's on your shopping list?
2 x josephson pencil condensors
1 x sennheiser e602 (Sloan rates these i think, I love em)
1 x beyerdynamic m88 (Everytime I've A/B'd one of these with a 57 the 88 won)
1 x beyerdynamic m201 (nice bright dynamic with good transient response)
1 x sennheiser md421 (general purpose dynamic)
1 x sennheiser md441 (same again)
plus a ribbon and a bright(ish) large diaphragm condesor for vocals/general purpose
Shabba.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

bob wrote:
vivadeluxxe wrote:Cool, what's on your shopping list?
1 x sennheiser e602 (Sloan rates these i think, I love em)
e609 yo!
the one that's like the old 402 mics.
I really do like this mic.

on that strat sample post I used it like RIGHT ON the speaker and a Studio Projects B1 about 4ft away. The e609 is the main deal though, the other track is just slightly mixed in.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

ah right, im talking about the kick drum mic

Shabba.