new mustang day, but at a cost

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

hendrix1234

new mustang day, but at a cost

Post by hendrix1234 »

I couldnt help myself and picked this up pretty cheap.

i was told its a 65 reissue? which looks correct as it has no contour and white tip kluson style tuners.

now the serial number starts with O which puts it to 93-94, where the 65 reissues around then? or where they only available in japan?
its definetly fairly old cause there was a couple of stickers on it and you can see how much its yellowed.

anywhoo it plays fantastic, i love these mustang necks. and its sounds fairly decent aswell, i dont hate the pickups but they are pretty low output.

I was thinking about changing them, but im not sure what to and i was thinking a white guard aswell?

heres some pics

now the only thing is im having to sell this to help with the cost, which i only just got back.
i really like it but i like the better.
the aria/mij guitar from my other NGD post
http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39458
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

You might check the neck stamp to identify exact model. My CIJ MG66 looks exactly like your guitar, but in a different color.
i like chocolate, i like fudge
if i can't make any, i won't budge
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

It's not the current 65RI as it doesn't have a gap between chrome plate and pickguard.
George

Post by George »

Yeah, the neck stamp looks like it says Crafted in Japan too so it's not going to be a new one. The 69 reissues were around in in the late '90s, early '00s if I'm not mistaken, so a serial for between 1993 and 1994 would perclude it from being a '69 RI, which is allegedly not as good as the '65 RI. All Mustangs of that era were Japanese (and to this day).

Looking at the little patch where a sticker used to be it really does look like the body has faded significantly.

Prognosis: CIJ '65 RI :D

As for the changes, the pickups are wound for vintage output that I feel have plenty enough for what I play, but we is all different. Also, I love the tort/white combo, and yours has a nice red hue to it, so I vote keep that as well. Very handsome guitar!
hendrix1234

Post by hendrix1234 »

Yeh thats what i thought , i did take the neck off and it said MG66 and the serial puts it to 93-94 so id say your right.

either way i love it, i acutally just went to play it and it stopped working, it kept cutting in and out.The volume pot is scratchy and both the switches stopped doing anything.
im pretty sure i have some spare switches and pots, if not its an easy fix anyway.

cheers for the input.

oh anyone got any suggestions on pickups? ive had some dimarzio virtual vintage heavy blues befopre and really like them, but i woulnt mind trying something different.
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

Twins!

And whats the "at a cost?" did you pawn off your first born or something?
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

If it's CIJ O serial then it is 96-99, MIJ O serial is 93-94.
lorez

Post by lorez »

on the back of the neck it looks like it says crafted in japan so I would go for the later dates Thom mentions.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Nice guitar.

It looks a little odd to me because I've got so used to seeing the bridge and control plate gap from the pickguard with the vintage ones and the more recent RI models but that's not to say it's a bad thing that it is how it is.

Cleaning the switches is quite easy but a little time consuming and involves some soldering to get them apart (a ground wire is soldered from a lug to the casing on each). Annoyingly replacements are relatively expensive. I'm sure you'll manage to weigh up the time vs cost of cleaning or replacements and get it sorted. If you do may I suggest changing from the not very useful at all stock wiring to something that holes some more purpose. For example you can wire one switch as a bridge/both/neck pickup selector and then the second switch to do something worthwhile. One example is regular controls/bypassed tone control/bypassed both controls. With that set up you can have the volume and tone knobs on, say, 7 out of 10 and you have a switch that has a softer bassier sound, a softer standard sound and then a both controls on fully sound. Or you could try series/parallel switching. They're easy to do and the diagrams are available online.
Shabba.
George

Post by George »

Thom wrote:If it's CIJ O serial then it is 96-99, MIJ O serial is 93-94.
Ahhh I thought it was 93-99 CIJ, all other stuff MIJ. Whoops.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

At least you seem to have gotten the full sized bridge saddles. As thats my issue with older Japanese Mustangs I think you're fine.
weed_killer

Post by weed_killer »

It looks like its aged quite a bit. Can't stand the tomato soup guard, but to each their own.
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

weed_killer wrote:It looks like its aged quite a bit. Can't stand the tomato soup guard, but to each their own.
I lOve that guard.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
weed_killer

Post by weed_killer »

endsjustifymeans wrote:
weed_killer wrote:It looks like its aged quite a bit. Can't stand the tomato soup guard, but to each their own.
I lOve that guard.
cool.
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

GeorgeF wrote:Yeah, the neck stamp looks like it says Crafted in Japan too so it's not going to be a new one.
Not only that, but also check this part of your guitar:
i like chocolate, i like fudge
if i can't make any, i won't budge
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

endsjustifymeans wrote:
I lOve that guard.
+1. If you change it I will take it off our hands :)
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
AaronGuitarDude

Post by AaronGuitarDude »

BEUTIFFULL
hendrix1234

Post by hendrix1234 »

yeh it had MG-66 stamped on the neck.

so the serial number 'crafted in japan" puts it to 96-99' thats cool, not really to bothered when it was made as its an awesome guitar.

yeh im going to take it apart again and spray the switches, the only this is the neck one is pretty hard to put in the back position, so it may be broken but ill give it a go.

im still not sure about the guard, i dont hate it but i think a white one or maybe mint green would look pretty cool.

i do have a 3 ply B/W/B one i could put on?