Bronco + Mustang = Brostang II (done...sort of)

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

rlm2112

Bronco + Mustang = Brostang II (done...sort of)

Post by rlm2112 »

This is a continuation of this thread: http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39148

I now have the Bronco body in all it's routed glory, and a 69 RI Mustang neck. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this neck. The tuners work fine, and have aged nicely. Unfortunately, when I first got the neck and tried to put it on the body I noticed it was too big for the neck pocket. I assumed the body just had a small neck pocket. So I tried to put it on my CP Jaguar, and it also didn't fit. I started to get worried at this point. I then tried the only other body I have lying around, a Squier strat body. IT STILL DID NOT FIT. So apparently Japanese Mustangs (or at least 69 RIs) have FREAKING HUGE neck pockets. I thought about what to do for a few hours. As much as it broke my heart to have to do it, I took a dremel to the neck heel. I had to take about 1/8 of an inch off each side. The good news is I didn't fuck it up, and it now fits perfectly on the Bronco and Jag. It's only slightly noticeable on the left side when the neck is on, but I should be able to spray or apply some lacquer on it to blend it in. The body actually looks better in person believe it or not. It looks like it was partially repainted, or sanded and cleared at some point. There is still some light checking and cracking, and it still looks vintage.

So basically I still need the following:

Mustang tailpeice
Mustang bridge
Bronco or Musicmaster pickguard
Pickup(s) not sure how many or what kind yet
Mustang control plate (possibly)
Bronco or Mustang knobs
Wiring harness

I think that's it.

I just found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Bronco-1979- ... 35af974f4f

Think it's worth it?

Here's an idea of what it could look like finished: Image

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what I should use on this thing? I want to know how YOU would build it.

Here's some pics:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by rlm2112 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
NJjoanjettfan wrote: Boy am I glad I got my Fender Lead II and Lead III when I did. I've even swapped off the necks to save the originals from wear.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

at first I didn't think the mustang bridge would be worth the trouble but.... looking at it a little closer it looks like might work out well. it might already be routed enough for the mustang trem assemblage and it just might even cover up all the routing. you might need to plug the post holes and redrill them in the right spot for the mustang bridge. then I would just get a bronco guard and a pickup and just rock it like that.

...I would have actually done a white guard but the builder doesn't have one.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

I've always wanted a Bronco Jr. Combines two simple guitars I really like. I'd use a Bronco bridge though, just for the looks.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

ooo nice
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

Question: How deep are Mustang trem routes? I'm about to route this thing, but I don't know how deep to make them.
NJjoanjettfan wrote: Boy am I glad I got my Fender Lead II and Lead III when I did. I've even swapped off the necks to save the originals from wear.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

Benjamin wrote:Image

I've always wanted a Bronco Jr. Combines two simple guitars I really like. I'd use a Bronco bridge though, just for the looks.
this but in red!
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
JohnnyTheBoy

Post by JohnnyTheBoy »

These............. :wink:

And here's your logo!!..........THE BROTANG!!

rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

This project is essentially done. Here are some pics from a couple weeks ago when I painted the cavities. I'll post more later today.

damienblair17

Post by damienblair17 »

Looks really good Dude. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Doog wrote:The perfect marriage of Teh Kurdtz and Teh Durstz.
RUN AMOK!

KESSEL RUN!
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

Thanks! I'm still tweaking the tremolo. I'm (foolishly?) trying to set it up for 10s. I'm having trouble balancing actually being able to use the tremolo, and having it stay in tune. I can do one or the other fine :)
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

mmm brostang Mk II
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

This thing has been done for months now, but I've been too lazy to take good pics and post them. It's apart right now for some neck work, but here's a teaser for yall.

hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

oh yais
jamba72

Post by jamba72 »

rlm2112 wrote:This thing has been done for months now, but I've been too lazy to take good pics and post them. It's apart right now for some neck work, but here's a teaser for yall.

cooool cat .. :lol: :lol:

It looks good with two singlecoils, yes..
i love P90ies, too, but they look strange on the Duosonics/ mustangs..
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

For sale, see classifieds.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

i find it hilarious that you mentioned the above pics were teasers, and then the next update that you make is that it's for sale.

still with no pictures.
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

Well there are pictures in the auction, but since eBay makes them look like they were taken with Game Boy Camera...here you go:

► Show Spoiler
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

why on earth would you be selling?
Grant

Post by Grant »

What pickguard template did you use?