Reasonably priced condenser mics.

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

ohyeahfuzzbear

Reasonably priced condenser mics.

Post by ohyeahfuzzbear »

I'm going to be putting some stuff in the classifieds and some other stuff on ebay quite soon in a bid to raise funds to get some odds and ends, but mainly get myself a condenser mic.

I'd like to stay under £100 and will mainly be used to record vocals and drums with minimal mics.

Any reccomendations?
Doog wrote:"And every day after high school, the young Kurt would sit down with his soldering iron and oscilloscope, to work on what come to be known as the Boss DS-1, the world's first guitar distortion pedal."
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

IF you're wanting to do it on the mega-cheap, I picked up a Red5 RV6 as part of a "studio bundle deal" (pop screen, headphones, cable) for like a hundred quid but you can buy just the mic (comes with shock mount, condom-style popshield and hardcase) for £57.40 plus shipping: http://www.red5audio.com/acatalog/Condenser_Mics.html

Here's a walkthrough of the mic and its bits-n-bobs from a recording-audio-DJ website, plus videooooo: http://www.dancetech.com/item.cfm?threadid=3686&lang=0

[youtube][/youtube]
And some brief sound samples from me, although it's totally unprocessed audio.

There's definitely better and crisper sounding condensor mics out there, but not at this price.
ohyeahfuzzbear

Post by ohyeahfuzzbear »

Thanks Doog, I think I may look into this.

I'm not looking for anything too amazing and that studio bundle seems worth it considering all the extra stuff you get.
Doog wrote:"And every day after high school, the young Kurt would sit down with his soldering iron and oscilloscope, to work on what come to be known as the Boss DS-1, the world's first guitar distortion pedal."
ohyeahfuzzbear

Post by ohyeahfuzzbear »

Then again.

Just buying the mic seems to give me everything I need.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Bear in mind you will definitely need a pop-screen for recording vocals with a condensor unless you're placing the mic meters away; otherwise you're entering into a world of PLOSIVES.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Doog wrote:Bear in mind...
tee hee
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

ohyeahfuzzbear

Post by ohyeahfuzzbear »

Doog wrote:Image
Soon to be my new display picture...
ohyeahfuzzbear

Post by ohyeahfuzzbear »

What difference in sound is there between 'condom style' pop shield and an actual pop screen?
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

'Reasonable' is a bit vague because a £600 condenser that is on par with others that cost £1000 could be described as reasonable.

Is £100 fairly rigid? At that price there's still quite a range available and it really depends on what sort of sound you want from it. I'd take a look around some of the larger online recording stores, maybe amazon too, then check reviews on stuff that shows up. Here's one to get you started. link (condenser category sorted by price)

Some stuff that I've used and liked that's fairly cheap. Rode NT1, Rode NT5, JM27 (used to be very cheap at £40 each, good for a lot of things but not that great for vocals), AKG C1000, AKG C3000B.

Take a look at some of the more well known brand names on ebay too. Start with

AKG
Beyer Dynamic (sometimes will just be listed as Beyer)
Sennhesier
Audio Technica
Rode
Shure

Do you have a source of phantom power?

Also don't worry about small or large diaphragm. Just look at both as either is fine.
Shabba.
ohyeahfuzzbear

Post by ohyeahfuzzbear »

I really would like to stay under £100 because I need some other stuff aswell.

I guess I want something that's a good all round condenser. It doesn't have to be great, just good enough for my little home recording stuff.

Also, I'm set for phantom power.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

ohyeahfuzzbear wrote:What difference in sound is there between 'condom style' pop shield and an actual pop screen?
Basically, the closer the screen/shield is to the mic, the more plosives get through; a popscreen on a bendywendy arm can be placed a suitable distance away, whereas a popshield has to stay right where it is, due to its design. They make up for this with thickness, but it's not the same really.

DEFINITELY pick one up if you can, or make one with some tights and a wire coathanger: http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Cheap ... op-Screen/ (don't use a Jay cloth like this eejit, though)
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Rather that a wire coathanger, if you can get your hands on an embroidery ring (about fifty pence in a craft shop) you'll have something that is pretty much made for the job.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

BacchusPaul wrote:Rather that a wire coathanger, if you can get your hands on an embroidery ring (about fifty pence in a craft shop) you'll have something that is pretty much made for the job.
That's how I first constructed one as a young lad: one of those and some panty hose. I could never find anything to properly affix it to a mic stand while recording, so I'd often just hold it in place by hand. Of course, this was before there were a number of really affordable purpose-built pop filters available; it may be worth it to just save the ten pounds or so for one of these.

I was going to recommend the Audio-Technica AT2020 as a highly-regarded, affordable large-diaphragm condenser mic, but Doog's Red5 package is about the cost of the AT2020 alone. I'd say that's a fantastic deal.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

BacchusPaul wrote:Rather that a wire coathanger, if you can get your hands on an embroidery ring (about fifty pence in a craft shop) you'll have something that is pretty much made for the job.
I was gonna suggest that, but going through the hassle of sorting out a way to attach it to a mic stand, you might as well just spend a few quid more and buy a proper one.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

The embroidery ring I used had two holes on the clasp, so I bent a coat hanger (no getting away from them) into a V shape, then bent the last quarter of an inch of each leg at a right angle so that they fit into the holes. Then, the V shape fits into a normal mic clip on a stand.

It's over at the singer/pianist I play with's house at the minute, I'll get a pic up at some point. It works well.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

Doog wrote:
I was gonna suggest that, but going through the hassle of sorting out a way to attach it to a mic stand, you might as well just spend a few quid more and buy a proper one.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Found some:

honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Mic condoms aren't really pop filters, they're windscreens. They're good enough against a breeze, but against plosives at close range, they do nothing.

I use a metal pop filter. Those really work. If you hold your hand on the other side and pop Ps into it, you barely feel a thing.

Anyway, I find that a basic pair of pencil condensers can be used for 70% of recording needs.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

honeyiscool wrote:Mic condoms aren't really pop filters, they're windscreens. They're good enough against a breeze, but against plosives at close range, they do nothing.

I use a metal pop filter. Those really work. If you hold your hand on the other side and pop Ps into it, you barely feel a thing.

Anyway, I find that a basic pair of pencil condensers can be used for 70% of recording needs.
Definitely not as nice on vocals a large diaphragm condenser though.

Semantics aside, "condom" pop shields are still heavily in radio studios and the like, so it's not like they're useless.