Submit your Guitar Body and Neck Templates Here (Organized)

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

All templates moved to Dropbox. Let me know if any links are not working.

All links are on the first post of the thread.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
cur

Post by cur »

Supersonic link goes to firebird.

taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

cur wrote:Supersonic link goes to firebird.
Fixed. Thanks for letting me know.
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
cur

Post by cur »

noticed no duo sonics so I went to the german site and grabbed a couple.

http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/386/Duosonic.pdf
http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/3 ... 20onic.pdf

not sure how to add to your list.

Joey

Post by Joey »

Wade sent me a tracing of his SS body and his actual pickguard & control plate. I printed out the SS plans and noticed a few differences.

Plans - pickguard - needs to be exploded by 1/16" all around, it should be stretched 1/4" at the upper & lower horn peak.

Plans - body - the whole ass needs to be stretched by a full inch running the whole rear end

Plans - body - both horns need to be stretched by a 1/4"

When you print out the plans you'll notice the body line above the bridge pickup needs to smoothed out. The body line below the neck pickup also needs to be smoothed out also.
HenryS

Fender Marauder *Fixed

Post by HenryS »

2001 Epiphone Slasher
2003 Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore w/ GFS Mean 90's
2011 Squier VM Jaguar HH (sold)
1975 Alverez Acoustic
2012 Squier VM Mustang
1978 Fender Musicmaster
2012 Epiphone Firebird
gdayj

Post by gdayj »

this is awesome!
Casual_Reader

Post by Casual_Reader »

interesting to see a posted plan make it's rounds on teh innarwebz 8)

http://www.gitarrebassbau.de/viewtopic. ... =6&start=0

http://sites.google.com/site/guitarpla ... fender-ish

one I've posted that hasn't made it here yet is this:
http://www.dropbox.com/s/gxzbb6524doqt ... P%20Jr.pdf

got any fender short scale necks you can measure accurately?

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtop ... 03#1156203
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

How many of these are confirmed to be accurate?
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Addam

Post by Addam »

If the Mustang, Jagstang and Hypersonic are the same as seen elsewhere, and I'm 99.9% sure they are, then aren't right.
Printed off at 100% they are all on the small side, maybe you could use known measurements to enlarge a tad when printing.
I even built a mustang body, only to find fit problems with the pickguard.
If you have parts, measure and mock them up on your plans/templates before you start cutting any timber.
Casual_Reader

Post by Casual_Reader »

jcyphe wrote:How many of these are confirmed to be accurate?
heh... maybe I'll go through a few of them when I get a chance.

1 - it'd help if you could pull it in cad to have a look at some of the measurements before hand

2 - and then there's the printing. If you want accuracy, the page has to have some sort of known reference measurement in both directions. Printers will often distort more in the paper feed direction. if you take it to staples or somewhere with a large format printer, take a good ruler with you and keep checking until they get it right. The first one will probably will be off. They'll convert the pdf bezier curves into raster and fool with the size (both directions to correct distortions) in photoshop.

If it's a cad file, it'd be great if you could find someone with a decent large format pen plotter.

3. most are in pdf form... here's a catch: if it was drawn in cad, the conversion to pdf may be off. I've seen a few drawings (and known who drew them) where the pdf is off and the guy had no clue his cad program wouldn't do a one to one conversion. they print them out from cad or go straight to cnc for their own use. They either can't or won't check the pdf accuracy.

I suspect that's what happened to the "60s stratocaster" file listed on page one here... it's off.
butt to inside of the nut should be 18.42" - it's measuring 17.681". the scale? 24.47"
So the guy was probably well intentioned... but, someone not checking could be in for a nasty surprise.

Conversion may be at least part of the printing problem... pdfs are in postcript language (bezier curves) and the expensive large format printers aren't all postscript printers - there's a language format conversion going on - some conversions better than others. rasterizing them and fooling with them in photoshop bypasses the built in conversion.

Back to your question...

telecaster - get Terry Downs Rev. E - as accurate as can be.
strat - preeb posted corrections to the strat file I made from fender blueprints where I had trouble reading some of the numbers. I think I was a couple thousandths off in 2 places, iirc.
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/828 ... 0Fixed.pdf

other than that and the ones I've drawn up... can't speak to the accuracy without having a look - assuming I have measurements to verify.

It's the most popular designs you'll have a chance of finding a fairly accurate drawing of... law of averages.

I mean who with a vintage mustang wants to spend 4 to 8 hours mapping it out with accurate traces and such?
..and then want to draw it up accurately and share? That last part... the sharing...

heck... most scanners even distort... so scans often have to be manipulated to get the scan right on screen.

A new twist in "online plans and such" - guys with cnc machines will pull drawings off the net without checking or even knowing what to check... and cut and sell templates on ebay. Some kinda fun, eh? Caveat emptor.

example: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthier ... hands.html

bottom line: if you know what you're doing, you can make a basic outline work. It may not be totally accurate - a perfect copy... but at least a working guitar that can be set up to play nicely.

For a lot of people, that's enough (I guess). They'll take a pic and trace it (camera lens distortion and all) and go with it.

if using aftermarket pick guards and plates, etc. - heed AddamInsane's advice above. parts in hand first.

and do your homework! 8)
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Fender XII pickguard Template added. This was drawn from an original pickguard I have.

Fender XII Pickguard
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Golden_Sonic

Post by Golden_Sonic »

Is there any "Mustang Bass" template here? I can't download the fender mustang bass diagram from the Fender site...
-Guitar: Squier VM Mustang, Squier CV '50 Duo Sonic;
-Amplifier: Hughes&Kettner Blue Edition 60;
-FXs: Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 Wah, Boss BD-2 Blues Drive, Proco RAT, Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo, EH Small Clone, MUZA FD900, Bespeco Volume pedal.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I don't think we have one at the moment.
61fury

Post by 61fury »

I'd love to see a Gretsch Corvette body template , I can't find one anywhere on the internet
SherwoodJim

Post by SherwoodJim »

Fantastic thread! Kudos for setting it up.

Does anyone have any Mustang pickguard templates? An MIJ one would be very helpful...
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

Links don't work.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Could try PMing OP?
ThreeQuarter

Post by ThreeQuarter »

I'm so glad I found this site. I'm trying to gather all the information I need to build a 1956 MUSICMASTER.