Submit your Guitar Body and Neck Templates Here (Organized)

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I used the Tiler program suggested earlier with the Jag-stang template. I laid it on top of my Mustang template. Any idea if this looks close? Is a Jag-stang that much thinner than a Mustang in the waist? I matched up the lower horns and the neck pocket.

Last edited by taylornutt on Tue May 31, 2011 3:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Addam

Post by Addam »

Is that area of MDF by the neck pocket just the thickness of the board?
If so, then it looks good.
The bottom half of the Jagstang is different to Mustang.
If you align the Mustang template centreline with the centreline of the Jagstang body, the routes will be bang on.
I believe the centrelines of the Jagstang bridge HB and Mustang singlecoil line up too.

It might be cool to tweak to lower horn and build the body to take a Mustang pickguard.
Would give more options of pickups, pickguard material, colours, etc...
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

AddamInsane wrote:Is that area of MDF by the neck pocket just the thickness of the board?
If so, then it looks good.
The bottom half of the Jagstang is different to Mustang.
If you align the Mustang template centreline with the centreline of the Jagstang body, the routes will be bang on.
I believe the centrelines of the Jagstang bridge HB and Mustang singlecoil line up too.

It might be cool to tweak to lower horn and build the body to take a Mustang pickguard.
Would give more options of pickups, pickguard material, colours, etc...
Yeah, that is the edge thickness. I basically laid the Jag-stang template on top of the Mustang MDF template and that's what you see in the picture. I noticed the Mustange lower horn is slightly different than the Jag-stang (JS cuts deeper into the body). I never thought about making the lower horn match the Mustang to avoid having to buy a Jag-stang pickguard, but it would make it unique. I might have to consider that. I plan to lay my Mustang template on top of it to transfer the neck pocket, pickup routes and bridge routes.

Are there any other dimensions I should check?
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

My first day on vacation I thought I would work on finishing up my templates. I had to fix my Mustang template based on the Mullet-stang Body. I ended up with 4 template sets. A little more work tomorrow and they will be done.
► Show Spoiler
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Fender Swinger body trace has been added to the list. Check first page to see complete list.

Thanks to Cooterfinger for sending me the trace.
jamba72

Post by jamba72 »

here is a good compilation of many guitars..

http://www.gitarrebassbau.de/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Taylor, you seem to have the whole printing process down pretty well. How much would you charge to make some copies of your paper templates and send em to me? There's a few I wanna copy but I need to make a few mods to them before cutting into the MDF. I am afraid of printing these out and fucking it up.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Joey

Post by Joey »

You can print them out on your home computer with regular paper, just tape em together. Or go to FedEx, Kinko, etc... if you want a large print. When you open the file. Click "print" and select "no scale". If you don't hit "no scale" the printer will just print to fit whatever size paper you've selected.

What I'd like to know... what type of software can we use draw up our own guitar bodies. Something where we can drag/click parts and with everything already to scale.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I'm still concerned with fucking them up.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

What stencils are you interested in?

I know for a fact my Jag-stang and Super-sonic prints are off, but I have actual traces for both now.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

I found this resource online tonight... don't know if it's been mentioned before (and frankly, i'm too damn tired to check), but here you go:

http://sites.google.com/site/guitarplanscollection/
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

Are there any of you with a mandocaster (especially neck an pickguard) template?
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Mo Rawka wrote:Are there any of you with a mandocaster (especially neck an pickguard) template?
I do. Well, just about. Cooter has one and I am working on another. I also just acquired a tasty piece of mahogany. It is unlikely that I will ever score a real mahogany Mustang, so I may want to make one using one of these templates.
Yell Like Hell
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

I'm just looking for a mandocaster neck and pickguard template for this summer. I've already got the body. I wanna get this done!
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
theleftfoot

Post by theleftfoot »

hey guys,

i'm looking for a Fender Marauder Template!

any sings on this beauty?

cheers raffa
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

well i sifted through all the pages, and noticed two things.
1. the Misc. Pickguards link & the Tele Deluxe Pickguards despite having different file names, and different links, the PDFs contain the same infrmation
2. there is no template for a Cyclone II pickguard, and it saddens me.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

serfx wrote:well i sifted through all the pages, and noticed two things.
1. the Misc. Pickguards link & the Tele Deluxe Pickguards despite having different file names, and different links, the PDFs contain the same infrmation
2. there is no template for a Cyclone II pickguard, and it saddens me.
I will check on that link.

If you find a Cyclone II template, send it to me and I will post it.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

yup should i find one.. no luck s far though.

if i end up having to buy one somewhere i'll make a tracing for you.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

So I finally got around to printing out the Mustang template and was horrified to find that it is shorter than my carefully constructed and hand drawn template that based on my 65 mustang. The pickguard is off as well compared to both a real live vintage guard as well as an AllParts guard (which is spot on with the proper fender one).

It may be based on a Japanese reissue or something. The neck pocket is the only thing correct and the 10mm box is correct so i know it was printed right.

Bummer.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I am currently working on moving the templates from my Mobile Me account (expires on Friday) to a Drop Box Account. The links will be good through Friday and I should have the links move over from DropBox by then.

I will update the original post as well.

First Test link in DropBox seems to be working: 60s Stratocaster