Resources for teaching Guitar

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

taylornutt

Resources for teaching Guitar

Post by taylornutt »

I thought I might raise some extra money giving guitar lessons and wondered if anyone had some good resources I could tap into.

I don't have formal musical training except for one classical guitar class I took in college.

I normally teach high school students, so I am good with kids.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
SpaceFace

Post by SpaceFace »

Do you know anything about where the notes are, major vs minor chords/scales, chord spelling, how to read music? I know you said you have no formal training but there are people who dont have it and know the stuff. I would say if you do it shouldnt be too hard to teach considering most people going for lessons usually are beginner to intermediate level. I would just find what their skill level is and build off of it from there and teach them what they need to know rather than only what they want to know (or teach them a little of both so they dont get bored). I have some shit you may be able to use on my computer and books at home I can name off that can help but I am at a friends house right now and have been drinking so I cant remember the names of the sites or books. When I get home I will check. The only site I can think of off hand right now is this one: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

Turns out my friend has the same books I was thinking of. The two best ones I know are "Modern Method for Guitar" (there are 3 volumes but they sell one big one with all 3) and "The Jazz Theory Book" (which apparently just went way down in price on amazon). The modern method book starts from scratch with reading music, scales, chords, etc. It gets to be a bit repetitive being there are alot of exercises but its comprehensive. The jazz theory book is a bit more advanced because its more or less assumes you can read music but the book starts out with the basics as a refresher. This book has great examples, is super comprehensive with great explanations/musical examples to look up and is really well written. It is intended for piano but if you know what the examples are explaining you can adapt them to guitar. And for a book thats great about chords which also has some basics on how to build them there is "Blues You Can Use Guitar Chords".