What bass string gauge?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

ohyeahfuzzbear

What bass string gauge?

Post by ohyeahfuzzbear »

I'm gonna get my bass set-up with new strings and shit and I was just wondering what a good gauge is for drop D and sometimes standard...

Also brands and stuff could be useful to...
Doog wrote:"And every day after high school, the young Kurt would sit down with his soldering iron and oscilloscope, to work on what come to be known as the Boss DS-1, the world's first guitar distortion pedal."
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

I tune my bass a whole step down (D standard) for a lot of my band's songs, and I use DR Low-Riders in Medium (50 to 110). Highly recommended.

http://www.drstrings.com/catalog/lo-rider-bass
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I generally use 50-110 tuned to standard, but there's ample string tension there for drop D.
ohyeahfuzzbear

Post by ohyeahfuzzbear »

I think I may go with Ernie Ball power slinkys 110-50 then...
Doog wrote:"And every day after high school, the young Kurt would sit down with his soldering iron and oscilloscope, to work on what come to be known as the Boss DS-1, the world's first guitar distortion pedal."
damienblair17

Post by damienblair17 »

I use Super Slinkys (45-100) and I'm half step down in Eb most of the time. when I go drop D(flat) it's usually fine, but it depends on which bass I'm using.
Doog wrote:The perfect marriage of Teh Kurdtz and Teh Durstz.
RUN AMOK!

KESSEL RUN!
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I use D'addario and DR 45-105's and I play in half step down, sometimes dropped to C# and it holds up well. I like both D'Addario and DR strings, but it basically depends on what's cheapest wherever I am when I'm buying strings. I used to use Ernie Ball and I do not recommend them at all! I've played bass in my past 3 bands and when I used Ernie Ball strings they would lose their tone and get all grimy much much faster than the D'addario or DR strings do. I gig pretty regularly and I like to keep the same set of bass strings on for at the very least 2 months, and the Ernie ball strings could not handle that, they would either break or just get disgusting and have no tone after a month at most. Since I stopped using Ernie Ball strings I haven't broken a single bass string.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

The bassist in my old band uses Elixir Super Lights 40 - 95 and theyre sweet strings. They sound new for ever and they're really easy to play if your a guitar player. As long as the bass is full scale they handle drop D too. Not cheap though but then again they do last an awful long time.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

for my mustang bass i bought a pack of Fender Bass VI strings and used the 4 heaviest strings on it.

So it goes

it works fucking great!!!

you can get them real cheap here if you want to try it

http://www.firstqualitymusic.com/p_XL15 ... ROOGLEFEED
dots wrote:incesticide
Lefty Mustang Bass

Post by Lefty Mustang Bass »

robroe wrote:for my mustang bass i bought a pack of Fender Bass VI strings and used the 4 heaviest strings on it.

So it goes

it works fucking great!!!

you can get them real cheap here if you want to try it

http://www.firstqualitymusic.com/p_XL15 ... ROOGLEFEED
Really? I can see the first 3 working, but isn't the 84 a bit small? How's the tension?
The Unicorn Tamer