Question: 2 Pickup/2 Vol/3-way Switch for Tele & Duosoni

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

TexasSwede

Question: 2 Pickup/2 Vol/3-way Switch for Tele & Duosoni

Post by TexasSwede »

Greetings everyone. Although I have been following the site for several months, I finally joined this weekend. I seem to have a penchant for finding really cheap, interesting guitars or parts where ever I travel and since buying my first shortscale, a MIM Red Duosonic in excellent condition for $60 in a pawnshop, this forum has helped feed a growing addiction and created a desire for building a Mustang!

The reason I'm posting is that I stripped a Peavey Reactor tele a couple of days ago to replace the neck pickup and thought I'd rewire the universal vol & tone pots as individual volumes. I never touch the tone anyway, and I've been thinking about doing this to to my teles and duo for awhile. I was Googling and Binging 2 Pickup/2 Volume wiring diagrams and was surprised to see a link to this forum. I did an additional search within the archives and believe I read everything posted remotely related. I was amazed to find that Mike from London referenced Jazz Bass wiring in a post last fall here because that is what inspired this crazy idea of mine.

In three days of searching the web, however, I never found a full diagram for a 2 single coil/2 volume/3-way switch set up. Yes, I know by definition I wouldn't NEED a switch, but it would bug the hell out of me to install a deactivated switch. So, I improvised and combined it with my fav tele switch set up but it doesn't work. I tested the circuit as several times while soldering, verifying continuity/polarity, but since wiring the switch, I'm pulling out what little hair I have left. I double-checked mistakes in polarity, and am 99% sure its the way I wired the switch. I've now put it aside and am seeking assistance!

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Projects section, and now humbly ask you guys to review the quick .bmp sketch I'm including. I did it in Paint with the hopes someone can quickly mark it up and show me the error of my ways. IMAGE

BTW, I flipped the plate around so the pots are neck-oriented and the switch is bridge-oriented. The diagram is looking at the underside of the control plate. The 2-wire neck pickup lead comes in from the bottom left, the 3-wire bridge pickup from the bottom-right. The signal exits to the jack at the top of the diagram. Input to the pots is through the middle lug ala Fender Jazz Bass.

Thanks in advance. All comments or criticism is appreciated! I look forward to posting pics/vids of my parts Mustang refinish and build in the near future.

Don
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i am here to help you my son.

after owning a Squier Super Sonic for some years i really got fond of the 2 volume, 0 tone setup that it comes with stock from the factory. so much so that i started tearing apart my strats, and rewiring them into a "duo caster" design. 2 pickups, 2 volumes, 0 tone controlled with a 3way on all of them.

This is the diagram you need to use. all you have to do is pretend the humbuckers are single coils. Where you see "Green, Bare" on the diagram, this is your ground wire (usually black on any old single coil pickup). solder your single coil ground wire to the tops of the Pots exactly how they have the green and bare wires.

The Black wire on the diagram is going to take the place of your hot wire on your single coil pickup (usually white on any old single coil pickup) You need to solder your hot wire to the left terminals on the pots.

ignore all that red/white wire crap on the diagram since your pickups aren't going to have them. don't worry about it.

ALL THE REST OF THE WIRING TO THE 3WAY AND JACK IS EXACTLY THE SAME.

to recap with your single coil pickups: just solder the ground to the tops of the volume pots like you normally would on any pickup, and the hot wire to the left terminal of the pot....everything else is exactly like it is in the photo.

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

ok forget everything i just said. thats with a normal 3 way.

i see you are using a tele 3 way.

use this diagram.

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

let us know if this helps you
Haze

Post by Haze »

and i was about to open up paint and make one. OF COURSE SEYMOUR DUNCAN has this, they have tons of great wiring diagram resources on their website. I don't think i could have wired up my p-rails if not for their diagrams.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

either way: FUCK A TONE KNOB
TexasSwede

Thanks

Post by TexasSwede »

robroe wrote:let us know if this helps you
Thanks for the input. I missed that on the SD site. I, too, have used a few of their diagrams thru the years.

Tonite, I soldered up some 6 - 12" lengths of 20 ga stranded wire with aligator clips to use as jumpers. Drilled out a piece of 3/16" Luaun plywood as well. I'll be breadboarding EVERYTHING before installation from now on!

I mentioned I've been lurking for awhile, and I recognize those DuoCaster Squiers from the Forum and Youtube! Those are too cool! You know, I'm a big fan of the Indonesian-made Squier Standards. I like them better than MIM Strats, and they are all over the place at less than $100. Might try that myself!

Anyway, thanks again, guys.
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.