Mustang VI - digging for the bottom end

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

:shock:

Bonar!
Berto

Post by Berto »

props to you :wink: that looks killer! demo when finished please :D
IroniaSudby wrote:I just 4chan'd a little.
Phil O'Keefe

Post by Phil O'Keefe »

Ty wrote:I was browsing the internet and ran across these pics of a modified MM Bass to a Six String MM Bass, thought you might enjoy it.
That's wicked cool!

I would have preferred a push / pull pot for the pickup switch and left the tone control, but still - I'd love to have something like that.
benecol

Post by benecol »

Blimey - hello Phil; welcome aboard.
Phil O'Keefe

Post by Phil O'Keefe »

benecol wrote:Blimey - hello Phil; welcome aboard.
Cheers benecol - thanks. :)
dug

Post by dug »

This project is awesome! I can't wait to see it complete!
robots are the devil
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

where ya at on this, matthew? i'm the edge of mah seat!
MattK

Post by MattK »

Embarrassed to say that I have been (a) tweaking my new TL52 Telecaster, (b) afraid to rout, and (c) digging giant holes in our yard at my wife's direction. So the Mustang VI is still at the "strung up but unplugged" stage. I am working my way around to restarting "real soon now". I have the pickups and electronics, might need a few odds and ends but nothing major aside from the pickguard.

On the plus side, I was talking to a guy about nitrocellulose the other week and he said "funny, we have a big drum of that at work, we use it for finish coats on woodwork." So I think I can get a proper clearcoat once it's done. However - the paint I planned to use was an acrylic rattle can, can nitro spray over acrylic?

I promise I will get routing soon - I am becoming better friends with this guy, and he has a bunch of good woodworking stuff. Don't worry Rod, I won't fail the ss.org brotherhood.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

I absolutely love this project :) I generally just love seeing VIs being made/played, but this is a pretty sweet idea.

From a quick visual, the bridge pickup might be a little close to the bridge to get a good sound... but we'll see, I guess. The Mustang trem is a really interesting idea, can't wait to hear how it works out!
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
MattK

Post by MattK »

Kind words - thanks. I'm interested by your pickup comment - are you referring to the placement on the existing jazz body - which will change when I fill the old routs - or the placement on the planning image?
I don't have any experience with real VIs and I based the placement on measurements of photos of VIs. Where do you reckon it ought to be?
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Sorry, yeah, based on the current Jazz routes.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Was just wondering how your doing with this, I'm excited to see how it turns out!
MattK

Post by MattK »

Oh no, another month and no progress! It's still sitting there waiting for me to find the courage to fill the pickup slots and rout new ones - believe it or not, alder is a pretty uncommon timber here in Australia and I haven't even got a block to fill the jazz bass routs with yet.
Busy year at work and my guitar time has been mostly playing rather than building. Also some sizeable "home improvement" projects have taken a chunk of my weekends away.
But IT WILL HAPPEN. It's fun to play even without pickups.
SirAstatine

Post by SirAstatine »

It looks awesome, I think it's a really cool project. Can't wait to see more when you get the time.
Lefty Mustang Bass

Post by Lefty Mustang Bass »

Looks like a really cool project... did it happen? =)
The Unicorn Tamer
MattK

Post by MattK »

Not yet! But I got it out in its current form and played it this very afternoon. I recently bought a router and I hope to have some time soon to tackle it, but I have a Telecaster to refinish first, and it's a high-demand time of year at work. So it is still in limbo but not forgotten.
Lefty Mustang Bass

Post by Lefty Mustang Bass »

slowly but surely! Love to see it when it's finished! =)
The Unicorn Tamer
AnArmyOfJuan

Post by AnArmyOfJuan »

Ty wrote:I was browsing the internet and ran across these pics of a modified MM Bass to a Six String MM Bass, thought you might enjoy it.
Can you link me to the site you found the (invisible) pics at? My google-fu is failing, and from the description this is almost exactly what I'm planning on doing, just using a Squier Bronco as a base.
MattK

Post by MattK »

This thread is like my conscience - believe it or not I STILL don't have any free time to work on this!
AnArmyOfJuan

Post by AnArmyOfJuan »

After seeing the short scale Jaguar type bass on Rondo, I'm contemplating using that for a base bass instead. Any idea what stock jazz bass pickups would sound like on a Bass VI, at least to start?