Mustang VI - digging for the bottom end

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

MattK

Post by MattK »

Any reason you need a 2" string spread? I was fixed on this idea for a while, then I realised that going with a standard guitar spacing would make only a tiny difference to the string distance from the edge of the bass neck. Sure enough it's barely noticeable. Going for a std bridge increases your options hugely, and of course the Mustang tailpiece has the thimble holes ready to drop in a Mustang or Jag bridge. The radius isn't an issue with the Jag bridge since each saddle is height-adjustable, whereas Mustang saddles vary in size to match a 7.25 radius.
Bubble

Post by Bubble »

I d love to have a Fender VI but it's to expensive. I often ask me if this kind of project is possible. You prove it !
Cheer !
MattK

Post by MattK »

On almost the three year anniversary of this project being stalled, I had a moment of clarity - I have not gone on with it because of the mods I have to make to the Jazz Bass body, and that is INSANE. What I need is a MustangBass / Musicmaster / Duosonic body (i.e. one without the bridge routs). Does anyone want to quote me on making an unrouted Mustang body with just a neck pocket? And does anyone want an alder Jazz Bass body? (albeit one made of about 6 pieces, but otherwise excellent).
Then I can wake up, pull my thumb out and FINISH THIS. The neck is sweet and ready to go.
MattK

Post by MattK »

OK now I am getting my thinking straight. This needs to have a Mustang body, but the heel of the shortscale neck is longer than the heel of the guitar neck by 17mm. I don't want it to go too far back in the body so I figured I could make a body with a 17mm extension of the neck pocket to accommodate the longer heel. That then puts the Mustang trem a bit behind where it would be for a guitar, so the pickguard shape needs to change. I can't push it back to hold a third pickup - would look too weird - so I can float the third pickup on the body, just like a Jazz Bass, and angle the back edge of the guard to match.
Et voila:
Now I have to build it.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

What might work best for you is hunting down a squier bronco bass body, they only have a small route to begin with so you'd still have a bit of work to do.

either way, glad you're still keeping at it..

there is a solid chance i'll be reviving a couple old build threads in the next couple days myself.
MattK

Post by MattK »

We can do it!
MattK

Post by MattK »

what's up ShortScale, it's only been EIGHT FUCKING YEARS since my last post in this thread.
Anyway, trying to get myself back on track with this old project - I found the neck and the running gear and decided to buy a Squier Mustang Bass body from Reverb. So it's gonna be a seafoam Mustang VI, I hope.
Body:
shitty Photoshop:
Big thanks to Jason for bringing my account back from the dead!
NickS

Post by NickS »

Good to see you back. Since you last posted I've actually been to Tasmania. Like your photoshop.
Personal pronouns he/him
MattK

Post by MattK »

Hope you had a good time! I gotta say it is one of the easier places in the world to have lived through the pandemic, but our luck will run out sooner or later.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Cool to see this revived, about a year or so ago I saw a Squier Bronco bass turned into a bass vi on the local fb marketplace (unfortunately I did not save a pic but it looked cool as hell), so there's definitely potential for a project like this!
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Welcome back, Matt! And what a great re-entry.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Not Photoshop any more - here's a test fit, the bridge position is approx correct for the neck sitting slightly out of the pocket (to match where the back of the neck transitions to the body joint). Mustang control plate, Jag switches, thinking maybe 2 pickups and a strangle? if the Mustang VI was a "student" version of the VI.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Love it!
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Re:

Post by serfx »

MatthewK wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:25 am thinking maybe 2 pickups and a strangle? if the Mustang VI was a "student" version of the VI.
sounds ideal, stoked to see you working on this proj
MattK

Re: Mustang VI - digging for the bottom end

Post by MattK »

Thanks! In just over 2 weeks I will have a six week break and I have most of the parts ready to go - got a sheet of aged white pearloid to make a pickguard, some maple to veneer the headstock, etc ... I'm pretty excited that it's finally gonna happen. The Japanese VI I bought has a wider neck than vintage (P bass rather than the J bass width of the VI) so I'm keen to make my own narrow one ...
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Fuck. I'm so glad this is under way. Can't wait to see this realized.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
rahbro

Post by rahbro »

im into this now!!!!

the photoshop looks like something i would buy in 10 seconds if it was real.

Squier should fuck off making that baritone telecaster bullshit and to THIS
plopswagon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am
I laid a pallet of sod yesterday
MattK

Post by MattK »

Thanks!! I’ve just started my vacation and once I sort out all the shit for hosting major family over next weekend, it’s ON.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

RZArector RZArector...

Don't fuck about, go straight to vintage.

(I really like this).

MattK

Post by MattK »

and here I am with all the parts still kicking around the garage. It’s been a shit year for hobbies.