'78 Musicmaster [video pg2(FAO Fran)]

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Mages
súper crujiente

'78 Musicmaster [video pg2(FAO Fran)]

Post by Mages »

dudes...
progress updates, better pictures and more info to follow...
Last edited by Mages on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yummy!! I didn't think that late 70s ones had the Duo routing. Mine didn't :cry: Maybe it's an older MM/Duo body, the pickguard screws would seem to point too that too.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

they shouldn't. duo-sonics were discontinued in '69. musicmasters made afterward have their own routing layout.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

That is a cool looking project. I would love a Mustang guitar type project. Can't wait to see it finished.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
holyCATS1415

Post by holyCATS1415 »

thats classy!
astro

Post by astro »

What colour will it be?
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

yes, I knew someone would point out the body pretty quickly. it's a 60s duo sonic or music master body. it was blue and someone has given it a rattle can refinish job. and then it looks like someone tried to polish it with a dremel. :\ I'm just gonna leave it black but sand and polish it so it looks nice and then put a 78 MM guard on it.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Why not go for the Duo option, 2 pups and all? Duos are one of my fave guitars and the pickguard looks way better. Plus you'll have the screw holes anyway and more importantly the routing on the late 70s MMs are different. The control plate is in a slightly different place. If you go the duo/stang guard option you'll have the chrome control plate which is a big bonus.

The original late 70s MM gaurds are a bit thin/soft and it ended up causing jack problems in mine just from moving around during practice/gigs. I ended up hacking off the place where the control plate would've been on mine, routing it a bit and putting a chrome plate on.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

I've got a black musicmaster guard like the one in the picture above i could sell you, mage. It's a 70's job.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

One of the good ones before they became one-piece. Nice.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

I'm just really into the idea of a simple one pickup guitar. I've ordered a late 70s pickguard in tort. I'll see how it goes. if it's too screwy I may just go with that guard you've offered stewart.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

also, I've had this guitar in the back of my mind for a while now.
which is a bronco yes.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Is that guy made out of mop handles?
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

:lol:

Its that bradford dude is'nt it?

Cool project. I did one similar some years ago, Aug told me to throw it in the bin so i told him to fuck off.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

that bronco really needs some color.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

that is true. for some reason I thought when I saw it first it was like a sherwood green. but I searched for pictures of it and it's natural? I wonder if he changed it or if I'm just imagining things.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

question: what is the deal with this nutjob? it looks like strings will be spaced way too close together.

the spacing is definitely closer than other guitars I have. the low E is like a whole 4mm from the edge of the neck. I'm thinking I'll definitely want to replace this.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

looks like a homemade deal. the pink duosonic i sold to robog had one like that. only worse if i remember.
guitarpartsresource sells bone nuts that are partially slotted. you'll have to file the grooves down a bit, but it'll have the correct spacing.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

different widths at the nut too so make sure its the right size for your neck before you order a new nut.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

I've looked at it again and I think it may be correct. I think I'm used to MIM spaced nuts which may be a bit wider spaced so as to even things out since the saddles space the strings closer. these are 1/4" apart from the center of each cut. the import nuts seem to be 7mm apart? well, I'll leave this one for now and see how it goes.

if anyone has any more info on nut width and spacing specific to fender guitars, that would be awesome.