Old strings

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

NickS

Old strings

Post by NickS »

So, I reckon there's three basic schools of thought on strings.

1. New is best, love the twang of new strings.
2. Old is best, hate the twang of new strings.
3. Whatever, strings is strings.

However....

Matt brought home an Ibanez RG550 last year on which the strings were pretty skanky, so I cleaned them up with a dab of metal polish. The other guitarist in his band was looking for a decent guitar and this would have fit the bill. We could not get the damn thing to intonate. You could get it spot on at 12th fret or 24th but not both. It sat there for a year until he heard about this guitar tech in Bournemouth who's done stuff for various famous people. Matt took it to him, he put new strings on the thing and intonated it. He said "rusty strings don't ring true". So there's a lesson learned.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

There's nothing like new strings, they feel and sound great once you'd broken them in a bit. I'm getting more lax with restringing these days due to finance issues, but I really hate the ploddy dull sound of old strings.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Some people astound me with their lack of string changing. I have a mate who only replaces one string at a time when they break, so some of his strings sound better than others. It's horrible.
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

I love the sound of fresh string, however that initial twang lasts 1-1.5 weeks at most. Is that normal? I'm not sweaty bastard and my fingers aren't covered in fat, I also clean my strings once few days. Is there anything else I can do?

As for people with lack of strings changing... I've once played in a band where second guitarist had so old and rusty strings, that the nickel windings rusted to the core and were sweeped with his fingers, effectively making those strings virtually flat wound. If I'd just see that guitar laying somewhere I would think that it was played with cock and ass.
i like chocolate, i like fudge
if i can't make any, i won't budge
mcconnachiea

Post by mcconnachiea »

I hate really old strings and new strings. Don't like the twang.

I like strings that have had a couple of weeks to wear in.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

New strings always make my guitars sound awesome, they just go out of tune really easily which is somewhat of a problem being quite a ham-fisted player. I usually don't leave strings on for longer than a couple of months, but not so long ago my Telecaster had the same set for probably nearly a year... :oops:
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I only change strings if i don't like em or if im feeling saucy, that ghs fast fret wank does seem to help though.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

I too liek the new twang.

i was recently talked into trying out Elixir strings which are twice the price and are supposed to last twice as long due a special 'coating' on the strings. this apparently reduces finger squeak on the rounds too.

After a few weeks of using them I'd say the claim is largely true however be aware that out of the pack they sound like strings that have already been worn in for a week. you don't get that super bright but transient twang but more a much extended next-best-thing brightness.

Not sure i'd buy them over two consequentive pack of DiAddarios though...

I knew someone who hadn't changed strings in 5 years and played a gig at least 3 times a month with em. they were a punk band I guess.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

i can't use regular straingz for more than a few consecutive hours before they get shitty and become a pain in the ass to play. i keep trying different brands of regular strings, but find that Elixers are my best bet because they feel good for a long ass time even though they are a bit more dull than brand new strnagz.
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

Stainless Flats - they sound dull and punchy right from the get go, and stay super consistent as they age.

I leave them on until the intonation goes sour on the bass strings - replace the trebles individually. So how often I change depends on how often I'm playing. My '57 Dano gets played the most, so it gets new strings about every 3 months. My 335 has had the same set for 18 months - mustang for 12.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I love new strings. I hate old strings.

Jim, our bassist is one of those people whose sweat destroys guitar strings. He'll play one of my guitars and suddenly it'll be like the strings are months old. Bloody nuisance/
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

new strings on guitars: rad.

new strings on bass: much too much trebly webly.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I like them on a bass too, but I think that might be a novelty thing because I don't play bass, so when I hear or play a bass with new ones it's a bit different.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

BacchusPaul wrote:I like them on a bass too, but I think that might be a novelty thing because I don't play bass, so when I hear or play a bass with new ones it's a bit different.
for certain styles it's okay for sure. but for me, i like them to be dulled a tad. not to the point that they're dead, but like a little more mellow attack.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Love brand new ones. When I was playing constantly a few years ago I'd be changing them every two weeks, was great.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

LURVE THA NEW SHINY MET-HALZ
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

Flatwound bass strings are the ultimate sound - rockabilly, McCartney, and Motown. That woody thud is just perfect.
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

The strings on my strat are about two years old at this point. I need to change strings.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

DuoSonicBoy wrote:Flatwound bass strings are the ultimate sound - rockabilly, McCartney, and Motown. That woody thud is just perfect.
really? for me flatwounds feel wrong on every level...the tone is good for sure, but i just can't get on with them...specially on teh bazz.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I love strings after about 2 hours of playing best - just slightly less twang but very much new.