The ultimate synth/controller?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

william

The ultimate synth/controller?

Post by william »

alot of talk about interfaces, controllers, and keyboards (especially analog synths) on the boards lately.

its probably known by now that im not into the popular virtual analog offerings on the market (ion and microkorg), so let me offer up a competitor that i think may be the winner in the field:

it is not only a VA synth, but its also twice as powerful as the MK, is a MIDI controller with tons of assignable controls including shuttle, faders (for mixing), and rotary encoders, and touchpad/joystick and full size keys, but is ALSO a fucking USB interface!

its only 499USD.

anyway, i thought id quit bitching about the microkorg and maybe try to offer up something positive.

http://turntablelab.com/production_tool ... 17777.html
suede

Post by suede »

I don't know man, I have another novation controller and it feels like crap...
I'll see you in hell with the rest of the trash
william

Post by william »

suede wrote:I don't know man, I have another novation controller and it feels like crap...

really? i hadn't heard anything negative about them before, but ive never used one personally. ive never seen one in a store, not sure they carry them in US stores.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

What makes it twice as powerful?

That sounds so random.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
suede

Post by suede »

william wrote:
suede wrote:I don't know man, I have another novation controller and it feels like crap...

really? i hadn't heard anything negative about them before, but ive never used one personally. ive never seen one in a store, not sure they carry them in US stores.
they had that particular one at guitar center a couple of months ago...it is very light and the keys feel like shit...
william

Post by william »

jcyphe wrote:What makes it twice as powerful?

That sounds so random.
sorry, i meant to qualify that in the OG message.

korg- 2 oscillator, 4 voice polyphony

novation- 3 oscillator, 8 voice polyphony

so, lets say, 87% more powerful. :)
william

Post by william »

suede wrote:
william wrote:

they had that particular one at guitar center a couple of months ago...it is very light and the keys feel like shit...
i cant imagine its worse than the korg, as far as keyboard feel.

are you sure it was the x station 25? ive heard good things about the key feel. alot of novation's controllers look like this one.

not to be incredulous, just making sure we are all on the same page.
suede

Post by suede »

william wrote:
suede wrote:
william wrote:
i cant imagine its worse than the korg, as far as keyboard feel.

are you sure it was the x station 25? ive heard good things about the key feel. alot of novation's controllers look like this one.

not to be incredulous, just making sure we are all on the same page.
It might have been a different one but it sure looked like that one...
SpectralJulian

Post by SpectralJulian »

looks pretty cool
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i've heard the newer novation stuff is a bit flimsy too. but that was from someone who gigged with synths a lot, and was probably a bit heavy handed.

i've been looking for something that size for a while, i'm actually leaning towards one of the old bass station keyboards, if i can find one at a reasonable price.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

2 octaves is alright for a contoller but pretty limited to use as a keyboard/synth.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i think the octave shift function is pretty accessible. depends what you're doing with it i suppose. if you've got sequences going and just tweaking filters and doing little bits and bobs on it, or using it as a second keyboard for little lead lines it'd be fine. it's obviously not going to be a workhorse synth or anything.
MutantParty

Post by MutantParty »

looks pretty great! the octave thing is kind of a drag, but like stewart said, aint no thang when you've got the octave shift handy.

i don't care much for the color, i don't know why that particular shade of silver has been reserved for all things midi-controller, but that's just personal preference.

if they added a drum pad area like the akai mpc/mpd stuff, i'd be getting my checkbook out.
william

Post by william »

MutantParty wrote:looks pretty great! the octave thing is kind of a drag, but like stewart said, aint no thang when you've got the octave shift handy.

i don't care much for the color, i don't know why that particular shade of silver has been reserved for all things midi-controller, but that's just personal preference.

if they added a drum pad area like the akai mpc/mpd stuff, i'd be getting my checkbook out.

that is just a controller, but its one of the best function:$ wise.

also they make bigger ones. if i were in the market for a pure midi controller, this line is what id be looking at.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

semi-weighted keyboard? that's quite a good feature for a small controller.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

william wrote:
MutantParty wrote:looks pretty great! the octave thing is kind of a drag, but like stewart said, aint no thang when you've got the octave shift handy.

also they make bigger ones. if i were in the market for a pure midi controller, this line is what id be looking at.
the MicroKontrol is pretty good, lots of sliders and trigger pads:

william

Post by william »

DanHeron wrote:
william wrote:

again, tiny little weiner keys. korg needs to scrap these. also the pads feel wrong on the korg. and no transport controls.

not to shit on it, it is still a neat controller. i just always seem to take issue with korg's design dept.
MutantParty

Post by MutantParty »

william wrote:
DanHeron wrote:
william wrote: Image

again, tiny little weiner keys. korg needs to scrap these. also the pads feel wrong on the korg. and no transport controls.

not to shit on it, it is still a neat controller. i just always seem to take issue with korg's design dept.
+1. although they do have the kontrol49, which has big thick wiener keys. and all the slider business and the mpc pads. FOR A NOMINAL FEE.
suede

Post by suede »

MutantParty wrote:
william wrote:
DanHeron wrote: the MicroKontrol is pretty good, lots of sliders and trigger pads:

+1. although they do have the kontrol49, which has big thick wiener keys. and all the slider business and the mpc pads. FOR A NOMINAL FEE.
Just get this one it has everything....it feels great...

william

Post by william »

suede wrote: Just get this one it has everything....it feels great...

uhm.. that one doesnt have transport keys, or MPC pads, and it has a cross fader for some reason. also, id almost rather have no screen that one of those mKORG style cryptic 8 segment LCD styled ones. also, it has the lame "joystick except you only have up on the x axis and its digital for some reason even though the Y axis is analogue" joystick.

EDIT: edirol makes great shit though. ill bet it does feel really great.