projects in the works

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

finboy

projects in the works

Post by finboy »

okay, so because of being foolish with money this summer, it seems i now have 3 projects on the run, i'll add more when progress is made, it could be a while as my luthier is busy, and shipping stuff around, and school, and work, blah blah blah...

this one is a modified malikaster, the jazzcaster

after seeing malik's guitar, i wanted one. here are the parts, specs, and status...

-NOHO body and pick guard (in production)
-warmoth pro maple bound neck (at cowbell's getting inlays)
-jazzmaster neck pickup (already have it)
-1970 jaguar trem (already have it)
-roller TOM bridge (already have it)
-telecaster bibsby conversion bridge plate (already have it)
-gfs tele bridge pickup (already have it)
-white witch hat knobs (already have it)
-jazzmaster 3 way style switch (already have it)
-70's style f-tuners (in the mail)
-one tone, one volume, input jack on the pickguard
-decal (have telecaster deluxe and jazzmaster decal, need to get one made out of the two of them)

it will be olympic white, colour matched headstock, maple B&B neck with black inlays, red tort guard.

since i don't have a digital camera, here are the only pics i have of parts so far from cowbell...

more pics as things come together
finboy

Post by finboy »

project 2

this is a cyclone i got over a year ago and haven't done anything with. it's MIM, and the mods to go are as follows...

-roller nut (already have it)
-locking tuners (already have it)
-roller saddles (already have it)
-roller string trees (already have it)
-2 lace red sensors for the bridge humbucker, will be slanted like twin mustang pickups side by side (already have it)
-hot rail in the neck (already have it)
-custom mustang style pickguard (blank sheet in the mail, black in colour, need to get it cut, can't stand the strat style guard)
-3 way jazzmaster style switch
-momentary kill switch

only pic so far:
Last edited by finboy on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
finboy

Post by finboy »

project 3: competition jazzstang

this one will be on the backburner as it was a spur of the moment thing when some deals came along

-rob og body (in the mail)
-B&B rosewood neck (at cowbell's)
-jag/jazzy trem (waiting)
-roller TOM (already have it)
-aged perloid pickguard (blank is in the mail, need to get it cut)
-mustang neck pickup (still need it, cover is in the mail)
-two jag pickups in a custom black jazzmaster/humbucker style cover (cover being made, have to order pickups)
-mustang style switches (have them already, bridge switch will split the pickups into humbucker/single/???)
-vintage plastic f-style tuners (already have them)

hopefully i can get it painted competition orange with stripes, matching headstock, and a LPB undercoat after rodvonbon's competition mustang. the main goal with this is to get rid of the issues with the original jag stang, make the body fit the pickguard better, and fix the huuuge lower bout.

pics of body...

shoddy teh kurtzzz style drawing

rod's mustang for paint scheme idea...

the pickup cover...

Last edited by finboy on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

I think that bound maple neck looks great without inlays. I've never even thought what that might look like. Everytime I think of no inlays I think of as dark a fretboard as possible.
Shabba.
finboy

Post by finboy »

James wrote:I think that bound maple neck looks great without inlays. I've never even thought what that might look like. Everytime I think of no inlays I think of as dark a fretboard as possible.
it does look good, but i'm trying to keep the 70's style going with that one. one thing i will note, warmoth necks are freaking pricey. i still want to see you do that minimal jazzmaster/jag that you were thinking of :wink:
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Buying that Mustang has put the minmal jag/jazzy on indefinite hold. I'd like to do it one day but i can't justify it. Actually fuck it, if I'm careful with my money I might have it this time next year. Ice cream job should be able to pay for it.

Are you planning to relic the one with the LPB undercoat or is it something to appreciate in years to come with natural wear?
Shabba.
finboy

Post by finboy »

James wrote:Buying that Mustang has put the minmal jag/jazzy on indefinite hold. I'd like to do it one day but i can't justify it. Actually fuck it, if I'm careful with my money I might have it this time next year. Ice cream job should be able to pay for it.

Are you planning to relic the one with the LPB undercoat or is it something to appreciate in years to come with natural wear?
i'm thinking about doing some small things here and there, MILD cracking the finish with the hot/cold treatment, throwing my car keys at it in a couple spots, and leaving it out to fade (luckily calgary gets a LOT of sun year round). i think i might just go with a thin top coat and let the forearm mark wear in naturally. i'm pretty hard on my guitars so i doubt it will be in mint shape for long :lol:
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

i saw that body at robogs and wondered who's it was. im excited to see how this works out!
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
finboy

Post by finboy »

Mo Rocca wrote:i saw that body at robogs and wondered who's it was. im excited to see how this works out!
whoever it was meant for didn't work out and he cut me a killer deal on it, considering it has no cuts for controls or anything yet, it should be perfect.
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

this thing is awesome in person
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

The looming future of the Jazzcaster significantly interests me.
finboy

Post by finboy »

ultratwin wrote:The looming future of the Jazzcaster significantly interests me.
right now it is just a waiting game, all the parts are ready save for pots, hoping withing 6-8 weeks i'll have some progress done on it, but it all depends how backed up the guy is to paint the guitar.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Cool projects.

How long have you been waiting on NoHo?
r40f

Post by r40f »

i can't wait to see that jazzstang finished. love the shape of it
finboy

Post by finboy »

jazzstang body will take some sanding for sure, another body i'm looking at for another project (for the spare b&b necks i have) uses the horns of a mustang and the tail end of a jaguar, kind of like a marauder

the jazzcaster body has been on order a little longer than the warmoth neck, so things should hopefully all arrive around the same time and go together smoothly.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

What neck? I have no idea wut your talkin bout...NO neck here. *lolwut*
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

We are all waiting to see this!
Yell Like Hell
finboy

Post by finboy »

robog body is here, the pickup cover is in the works, the block/bound blank necks are at the luthiers getting the headstock cut

looking at another project if i can sell the jagmaster/jazzblaster body (check the classifieds :D ), sage green jazzmaster...

this colour on a jazzmaster body, aged perloid pickguard with no rhythm circuit, and mustang pickups, similar to james' simplified jazzmaster concept, but not quite as nice.

neck will be one of the blank b&b's that is at the luthiers, likely the maple w/ black inlays, probably colour matched headstock.
finboy

Post by finboy »

so some updates, no pics though

the sage green caster might be short a neck because the cock i was going to buy the acoustic off of decided to bail on our sale and put it on ebay, i'm hoping to snag it for cheaper now but it seems the latest fetish on offset is XII's so it might be a bitter auction.

hopefully once school has finished up, the cyclone will be finished and i can order a jazzmaster body from warmoth to match up with a 12 neck. the other option if the acoustic neck falls through is this...

it would make for a cramped string spacing, but i have that maple b&b neck that might work great, i just have to figure what kind of tuners to get to work for that, i think split post design might be out. there is also some debate going on right now as to the sizing of RI mustang bass pickup covers, it seems they *might* work after all, if not novak can make pickups to fit anyways, or i might just go with japanese mustang pickups, who knows. i considered running a trem with the TOM, having 6 strings go through the wraparound tail piece (acting as a buzz stop) while the 6 octave strings were mounted in the wraparound tail like normal, and all of them running over a 12 string TOM mounted on a mustang trem plate, but it will be too much chrome, too complicated, and will likely not stay in tune, so i'm leaning back towards the mustang plate with a 12 string TOM setup.

this pickguard got in today...

(not mine, mine is sunburst, cbs look, ooooo)

if it looks familiar, that's because it was tribi's, in all fairness he cut me a good deal. i'm using this one as a template for an all black guard with 2 tilted lace sensors in the bridge and a rail pickup in the neck for now. he got it from noho, and charged me $30, which isn't bad considering noho wanted around 80 for the same thing plus shipping two ways (i'd have to send mine down as a template). if anyone with a cyclone wants it when i'm done with it, it might need some slight trimming by the tone/volume plate, but pay the shipping and put it to good use, and i have no problem sending it to you when i'm done with it.

speaking of noho, the malikaster/jazz-caster has hit a brick wall as i haven't heard from anyone at noho since september, some progress info would be nice boys, i want to get this thing together.

the robog jagstang body is sitting on my floor under the jagmaster/blaster body, i think i have all the parts for that except for the pickup cover (in the works), mustang neck pickup, and the pickguard has to be cut.

anyways, more updates later, i have hawaii to start getting ready for :lol:
Last edited by finboy on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

finboy wrote:Image
What the Dickens...?
Shabba.