projects in the works

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

finboy wrote:it is a joint line that will need filling

they only did the body, the neck is warmoth and i ordered it w/o the inlays as warmoth does not have fender sized inlays.
I meant to ask if you had asked noho for contours, not inlays. Sorry, my mistake.
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

Well, it seems like you have it taken in stride, so I assume you've arranged for at least a partial refund? Or did you mostly just expect this treatment from Noho anyway... :lol:
finboy

Post by finboy »

i did request contours but i can get my luthier to throw them on quickly, at this point i just want to get the damned thing together
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Send them the bill for what your lutier charges to put contours on.
luke

Post by luke »

To be fair, I think my Malikcaster pickguard is free hand... I don't think Dave was happy that I asked him to make me a second after he didn't follow my instructions on the first, and rushed the second. I suppose now he was only honouring the thing all along so he could get to work ripping people off who like the design. That's a real shame finboy, but I'm sure you can make a nice looking project out of it.

When I get pictures of the Malikcaster I'll show you what I mean about the pickguard. Looks like the curve around the top edge of your one is right, mine's a bit jaggedy, and the edge of the pickup route is curved, so there's a gap at one side. Never mind, it'll always remind me whose good grace brought me it. ;)
finboy

Post by finboy »

Malik wrote:To be fair, I think my Malikcaster pickguard is free hand... I don't think Dave was happy that I asked him to make me a second after he didn't follow my instructions on the first, and rushed the second. I suppose now he was only honouring the thing all along so he could get to work ripping people off who like the design. That's a real shame finboy, but I'm sure you can make a nice looking project out of it.

When I get pictures of the Malikcaster I'll show you what I mean about the pickguard. Looks like the curve around the top edge of your one is right, mine's a bit jaggedy, and the edge of the pickup route is curved, so there's a gap at one side. Never mind, it'll always remind me whose good grace brought me it. ;)
got the neck on yours yet? i need inspiration
luke

Post by luke »

finboy wrote:
Malik wrote:To be fair, I think my Malikcaster pickguard is free hand... I don't think Dave was happy that I asked him to make me a second after he didn't follow my instructions on the first, and rushed the second. I suppose now he was only honouring the thing all along so he could get to work ripping people off who like the design. That's a real shame finboy, but I'm sure you can make a nice looking project out of it.

Yarp, I'm going to take pictures of it next band practice, it's not at mine at the minute because I don't have a gig bag that fits it so I don't like transporting it too much. Does anyone know of any hardcases that fit Jazzmasters, because I guess that's effectively the size of this thing?

Hopefully I'll be taking the neck off again in the near future, as much as I like the natural finish it was always my plan to put a light clear gloss down and put a standard Fender decal on it, to get the true Tele Deluxe feel from it. Knowing my workrate though, if I don't do it at the right time it'll end up being out of action for weeks...
finboy

Post by finboy »

Malik wrote:
finboy wrote:

Yarp, I'm going to take pictures of it next band practice, it's not at mine at the minute because I don't have a gig bag that fits it so I don't like transporting it too much. Does anyone know of any hardcases that fit Jazzmasters, because I guess that's effectively the size of this thing?

Hopefully I'll be taking the neck off again in the near future, as much as I like the natural finish it was always my plan to put a light clear gloss down and put a standard Fender decal on it, to get the true Tele Deluxe feel from it. Knowing my workrate though, if I don't do it at the right time it'll end up being out of action for weeks...
look for a soft case for a fernandes native, the guitars have a pretty close resemblance

if you want a decal, i'm getting 70's style "fender jazzcastster" decals made, i think i'm going to end up with 3 of them
luke

Post by luke »

Nah it's all good, I've got this lovely Fender decal ready to go for it, it's one of the gold transition logos I think, it's actually a Strat one but I'll cut the Strat bit off and slap it on the middle like the Marauders had, here's an example I photoshopped:

I think a Jazzmaster case might be more suiting because of the offset waist, the Native Fernandes guitar may have similar horns, but it doesn't have that offset fat ass lump that the Jazz and Jags and have.
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

Malik wrote:Nah it's all good, I've got this lovely Fender decal ready to go for it, it's one of the gold transition logos I think, it's actually a Strat one but I'll cut the Strat bit off and slap it on the middle like the Marauders had, here's an example I photoshopped:

Or it reminds me of Duo Sonic logo placement, with the Duo Sonic portion cut off...
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

Malik wrote:I don't think Dave was happy that I asked him to make me a second after he didn't follow my instructions on the first, and rushed the second. I suppose now he was only honouring the thing all along so he could get to work ripping people off who like the design.
whatever, dude payed $225, he should get what he ordered. that join does not look up to task at all. hopefully he's voiced these concerns with dave and set the course towards some sort of reparations.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

That will be a lovely project, but they totally screwed you on the body...that is pretty fucked...Not the way you wanted it, shoddy work, and a rough body for 225.00....
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
finboy

Post by finboy »

i'll be getting the joint looked at by my luthier, it seems solid but i will be getting another opinion
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

finboy wrote:i'll be getting the joint looked at by my luthier, it seems solid but i will be getting another opinion
It is probably solid, but there should not be that big of gaps... You shouldnot have to pay a luthier to fill glue gaps in NOHO work. (the jazzmaster I got from them was the same way to a much smaller degree.) It is just a matter that now you have to re-fill it and finish it. That sucks is you want to do natural finish as the gap is a little wide/loos and will be noticeable on a natural finish. But if it is filled/sanded/painted it will be fine.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
finboy

Post by finboy »

mickie08 wrote:
finboy wrote:i'll be getting the joint looked at by my luthier, it seems solid but i will be getting another opinion
It is probably solid, but there should not be that big of gaps... You shouldnot have to pay a luthier to fill glue gaps in NOHO work. (the jazzmaster I got from them was the same way to a much smaller degree.) It is just a matter that now you have to re-fill it and finish it. That sucks is you want to do natural finish as the gap is a little wide/loos and will be noticeable on a natural finish. But if it is filled/sanded/painted it will be fine.
it's going a solid colour, i'm open to suggestions but i'm avoiding...
-black
-white
-sunburst
-fiesta red
-butterscotch
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

you could see the join of wood in the painted body of the mercury i played. they clearly need to re think the way they join bodys.

do the right thing noho. fix this guys body he payed good money for.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

How are people still getting suckered by them?

Jeez, the balls they had to diss RobOG. First off when he was making bodies he used way better lumber than NoHo, charged $40-$70, told people what to expect, and fixed anything out of the norm.

Remember this guy who wanted RobOG to make him a body.

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/ind ... 461.0.html

:|

I wasn't even gonna say anything, but damn you think by now people would know the deal.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Ty

Post by Ty »

Some people never learn.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

jcyphe wrote:How are people still getting suckered by them?

Jeez, the balls they had to diss RobOG. First off when he was making bodies he used way better lumber than NoHo, charged $40-$70, told people what to expect, and fixed anything out of the norm.

Remember this guy who wanted RobOG to make him a body.

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/ind ... 461.0.html

:|

I wasn't even gonna say anything, but damn you think by now people would know the deal.
does RobertOG still make bodiez?!?
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

the_dude wrote: does RobertOG still make bodiez?!?
I don't want to speak for him, less I be accused of being a prick :lol:.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.