overkill/old love

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

kim
[='±'=]

overkill/old love

Post by kim »

after studying plastic arts for five years and two years of art history at the ghent uni (that really did't get me anywhere) i became so tired of it all, a total dégoût of everything arts almost... after high school i was tired of teachers pushing you so hard to make 'art' in a very narrow minded way, it was all so classical, so i thought maybe i could out myself through the more theoretical side of it all at uni. wrong. i was totally demotivated and wasted two years there, alright, i still have a lot of the things i learned there in the back of my head and somtimes it's useful when you're observing art and have a critical look at it because you have that background right. but i was kinda stuck after that and didn't make anything up until last year. i started to go to more exhibtions again and to things that REALLY spoke to me, i also help out setting up exhibs, the non traditional arty farty exhibs but more like pure graphical stuff and not so much the far fetched 'all about the idea behind a work' kinda art if that makes any sense?

so the past year i've mostly been doing some kind of sharpie art, just a real basic and cheap way to (mostly) entertain myself or get stuff out of my system. it's a lot like with music, i've played in a bunch of bands that did nothing for me and it ended BAD, totally became sick of it but now i'm doing my own thing in a more selfish way and just following that gut feeling.
it works. i have friends who are into the whole silk screening thing, i learned that at high school and sometimes help out but not having the space for that myself and also the idea of duplicating doesn't really speak to me personally (as in using that medium, i'm a big fan of prints themselves tho)

so when it comes to graphical art my main mediums are sharpies and paper (cheap and can be found and used anywhere anytime ), i like big formats where i just lay the paper on the floor and move all over as i'm drawing. then stand up from time to time to have an overall look at the layout and all. it's basically just doodle like characters and shapes that interact.

oh, i also love working with ink on paper, with a brush or just my hands or pen and mixing all those tools so you hav elike a mix of smudgy stuff and fine lines. :)

i dunno why i posted this here lol so um.. what kinda tools do you prefer ? what's your background ?
astro

Post by astro »

((nopics))

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

I love Sharpies. I just bought a 12 pack with all different colours. Drawing with them is so much fun!
venpoi

Post by venpoi »

I like to sketch with pencils and black ball point pens, my favorite but I not good with is Uni-ball pens.
► Show Spoiler
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

with sharpies that's like all kinds of markers, not that brand specifically, they don't sell them everywhere here, only at sun wah and american apparel as far as i know *sigh* :P

this is one i just started on so it's still in it's early stage.
it's a bunch of A4 size papers taped together (yellow and light green), i don't care about rips and folds and shit.

this is with pastels, it's older

stupid crap from high school, only have a few things left, most of them are naked women sketches lol stupid

race ? lol

lynn has most of my stuff from a few months ago, maybe she's thrown it away already haha, well prolly not
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

something for PMT myspazz i did

i almsot lost this one, thx james ! i did lose the orignal drawing tho :?

tipex and black ink haha
astro

Post by astro »

AWESOME! Cats with birds and cyclops cats FTW!

And, I like your Hello Kitty socks!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

this could totally be on the bottom of a skateboard.

or if you could pull apart all the seperate characters from it, you could make a whole line of skateboards with this one print
dots wrote:incesticide
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

haha, because it has an eyeball in it ? :P the idea was to photoshop pmt's heads onto the animals but i never got to that, i scanned it in and colored it in with seashore (coloring is really bad because there's still white pixels in there, i have no patience)
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

TRILLSHIT