guitar for a beginner?

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

scryber

guitar for a beginner?

Post by scryber »

It's been 15 years since I played guitar, and even back then I wasn't too serious about it. I had (and still have) a '89 Epiphone, and for whatever reason it just never felt comfortable to play. Maybe it's the 25.5" neck scale, or maybe it's the flat neck radius, maybe I just never gave it a chance, but it's not the guitar I want to re-acquaint myself with.

I love the look of the Jaguar and find its versatility and technical aspects really appealing, but I'm not going to spend that much money on a guitar for a novice.

For an inexpensive guitar I'm basically looking at a Jagmaster or a Telecaster. Advantages of the JM are: the aesthetic look of a Jaguar and 24" neck scale. And it's affordable at $250. But aside from that, how much "Jag" is in the Jagmaster? The JM has humbuckers so I'm wondering just how much of a Jaguar sound it has, if any. Obviously the controls are different as well.

Advantages of the Tele are a solid guitar and a proven performer with a bright clean sound although it does have a 25.5" neck scale, and it is a bit more money.

Obviously it would be helpful to pick them both up and play for a while to get a feel, but again I'm basically starting from zero so I don't think strumming a few open chords for a couple minutes is going to be a very good indicator. Thoughts?
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Test drive the car before you buy it. :wink:
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

Go to Guitar Center. Do what that guy says^
luke

Post by luke »

You're going to have to get used to 25.5 eventually. Start now.
scryber

Post by scryber »

Malik wrote:You're going to have to get used to 25.5 eventually. Start now.
Certainly not the advice I expected from a website called "Shortscale.org" :)
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

scryber wrote:
Malik wrote:You're going to have to get used to 25.5 eventually. Start now.
Certainly not the advice I expected from a website called "Shortscale.org" :)
You can always convert your Epi with Warmoth...
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

jagmasters don't really sound like jaguars. if you just want the look, then go for it. if you want the sound, save up.
markocaster

Post by markocaster »

duo sonic

this is new and affordable
scryber

Post by scryber »

bubbles_horwitz wrote:jagmasters don't really sound like jaguars. if you just want the look, then go for it. if you want the sound, save up.
That's what I figured, but just wanted to get confirmation. I guess the other question is, how's the quality of the Jagmaster in general (keeping in mind the price)?
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

i've only played one of the current production jagmasters, so it could've just been a dud, but i didn't like it at all. it sounded like crap and the neck felt terrible.
but other people swear by them. so just try one for yourself, don't listen to me.
scryber

Post by scryber »

markocaster wrote:duo sonic

Cool, I hadn't seen that one. Anyone play one yet?
luke

Post by luke »

scryber wrote:
markocaster wrote:duo sonic

Cool, I hadn't seen that one. Anyone play one yet?
No, but I think we all wish we had. ;)

I think most of us here learned to play on 25.5s, then converted/tried shortscales later in life and realised we either prefer them, don't mind them or in some cases, don't actually like them. I had to endure a year of learning on a superstrat style guitar before I found the way of the shortscale, but even so I only own one. ;)
scryber

Post by scryber »

I went to Guitar Center yesterday. They had a Jagmaster but of course no Duo Sonic. The neck pickup for the Jagmaster was tilted... I don't mean angled from perpendicular from the strings, I mean the top surface sloped. One of my Epiphone's pickups is this way as well and I always thought it was a flaw. Maybe someone can correct me, but it would seem to me that the pickup surface should be parallel to that of the guitar body.

So obviously, I'm looking for something fairly idiot-proof. A stop tailpiece sounds like a good fit. Since I'm considering the Jagmaster, I'm wondering if it's worth also looking at a used Jaguar HH. Both have huckbuckers but I'm guessing the HH would be a bit of an upgrade. I'd expect the Duo Sonic to have a much different sound. Wish I could see/hear one firsthand.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

the pickup height is adjustable. the screws to each side of the pickup adjust it. you can set them wherever you like, whatever you suits your playing style and personal taste.

I would say it's definitely worth looking at the jaguar HH.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

What's your budget? We just sold our Squier Musicmaster but that guitar would have been perfect! (According to preference of course)
scryber

Post by scryber »

roachello wrote:What's your budget? We just sold our Squier Musicmaster but that guitar would have been perfect! (According to preference of course)
My budget started at $400 for a standard MIM tele, then I researched the Squires (Jagmaster and Duo Sonic) that fall under $300... but then I started pining for a used Jaguar HH, which seems to go for around $500 if you find the right guitar/seller. I'd prefer the HH. Wish I could hear a Duo or read a review.
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

scryber wrote:
roachello wrote:What's your budget? We just sold our Squier Musicmaster but that guitar would have been perfect! (According to preference of course)
My budget started at $400 for a standard MIM tele, then I researched the Squires (Jagmaster and Duo Sonic) that fall under $300... but then I started pining for a used Jaguar HH, which seems to go for around $500 if you find the right guitar/seller. I'd prefer the HH. Wish I could hear a Duo or read a review.
Oh man, what I could do with 400 bucks...

You're headed in the right direction, tho, Squier and higher end Epiphones (anything but the Specials)... Try craigslist.com
If you think of god as a pair of pants, a spiritualist thinks he needs pants, in fact he wants pants but none of the conventional types of pants seem to fit just right, so he makes his own pants and is happy that his knees are no longer cold.-fibus
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Squier Vintage Modified all the way for that coin. Or the new Classic Vibe. You can't really go wrong.
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

Im in nearly the same boat. I've been playing bass for almost 6 years and I'd love to have a guitar around. I have a similar 400 dollar budget. Any other suggestions?
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

what kind of sound are you looking for? these days you've got a lot of options in that price range.